ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Tuition difference - recruiting

gymdad

All-Conference
Feb 3, 2003
My niece is starting school selection process for applying next year. helping her out I looked at the tuition at each of the Big Ten schools both in and out of state. Was surprised to see the significant difference which raised a question. Does anyone on HR have factual insight into :
1) what causes Iowa to have the lowest tuition for instate and 3rd lowest out of state (behind Minn and Neb)? Must be doing some good budget management.
2) Why is ISU in state tuition ($14,0618) 68% higher than Iowa's ($8,325)?
3) A major contributing factor may be the reported difference in state funding for the schools budgets. this is reported as 31% for Iowa but only 19% for ISU. If true what prompts this difference?

At first glance this seems to place ISU at a disadvantage vs Iowa when offering an in state Iowa wrestler a partial scholarship compared to Iowa. Strangely ISU out of state tuition is $3,000 year lower than Iowa's so ISU would have a recruiting financial edge when offering partial scholarships to out of state wrestlers.

Not trolling just an inquiring mind. By the way I found the below linked summary by Wisconsin of interest in my review which Ided Penn State as the highest cost tuition for in state students of the public schools in the BIG. PSU's budget funding by the State is similar to ISU's at 18%. Atempting to confirm if the reported 31% funding of U of Iowa's budget by state taxpayers is accurate.

https://apir.wisc.edu/tuitionandfees/2015_Big10_Tuition_Comparison.pdf

My niece is starting school selection process for applying next year. helping her out I looked at the tuition at each of the Big Ten schools both in and out of state. Was surprised to see the significant difference which raised a question. Does anyone on HR have factual insight into :
1) what causes Iowa to have the lowest tuition for instate and 3rd lowest out of state (behind Minn and Neb)? Must be doing some good budget management.
2) Why is ISU in state tuition ($14,0618) 68% higher than Iowa's ($8,325)?
3) A major contributing factor may be the reported difference in state funding for the schools budgets. this is reported as 31% for Iowa but only 19% for ISU. If true what prompts this difference?

At first glance this seems to place ISU at a disadvantage vs Iowa when offering an in state Iowa wrestler a partial scholarship compared to Iowa. Strangely ISU out of state tuition is $3,000 year lower than Iowa's so ISU would have a recruiting financial edge when offering partial scholarships to out of state wrestlers.

Not trolling just an inquiring mind. By the way I found the below linked summary by Wisconsin of interest in my review which Ided Penn State as the highest cost tuition for in state students of the public schools in the BIG. PSU's budget funding by the State is similar to ISU's at 18%. Atempting to confirm if the reported 31% funding of U of Iowa's budget by state taxpayers is accurate.

https://apir.wisc.edu/tuitionandfees/2015_Big10_Tuition_Comparison.pdf

I think the $14,618 figure you have for ISU is actually Illinois State or the 'total cost' for in-state residents. In-state tuition is $6,648 at ISU (the one in Iowa, anyway). That doesn't include things like room and board, books, etc. It is cheaper to go to Iowa State than Iowa, whether In-state or Out-of-state.

My kids go to Iowa on out of state tuition, so I am pretty familiar with costs. What is stated above is true, the ISU number quoted is with room and board included. Out of state tuition at ISU and especially UNI are considerably less expensive than Iowa.

I can not speak for all Big 10 schools, but of the out of state schools that we looked at, Iowa was one of the only schools that gave no break to out of state. It's a hard number and it's more expensive than it needs to be. Many of the PA schools (PSU excluded) not only offer in-state tuition rates to out of state kids, but offer additional scholarship money for bordering states.

As one of my favorite Raygun tee shirts says, "The University of Iowa, a corporate take on a liberal arts college."

I think the $14,618 figure you have for ISU is actually Illinois State or the 'total cost' for in-state residents. In-state tuition is $6,648 at ISU (the one in Iowa, anyway). That doesn't include things like room and board, books, etc. It is cheaper to go to Iowa State than Iowa, whether In-state or Out-of-state.
thank you for the clarification. I don't know how our comparison table got wrong data but appreciate the correction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT