ADVERTISEMENT

Big Week for Iowa Basketball

How about 3 down and 2 to go. Feeling really good about Iowa's chances with Estrella, and who knows with Power.
Yeah I think there’s such a thing as momentum in recruiting…and when a recruit likes a few different schools he might think that being part of a great class and building something special is what will tip the balance in favor of one of those schools…

When you read the wrap up articles after each visit (Iowa and Syracuse), he seems far more "personal" with Syracuse.

Referring to coaches by nicknames. Talking about how much his family was involved.

His interview after Iowa was far less intimate IMHO.

As a psychologist, I can see the tea leaves from a different angle. I truly hope I'm wrong here.

When you read the wrap up articles after each visit (Iowa and Syracuse), he seems far more "personal" with Syracuse.

Referring to coaches by nicknames. Talking about how much his family was involved.

His interview after Iowa was far less intimate IMHO.

As a psychologist, I can see the tea leaves from a different angle. I truly hope I'm wrong here.
You haven't listened to him being interviewed about his Iowa visit, have you?

He described Iowa in extremely glowing terms. And it wasn't what some beat writer paraphrased, it was his actual words.
I've read both articles, BBHawk.
From my perspective, the Syracuse article was more intimate. If I'm wrong, I'll say I'm wrong.

Reactions: Herklejerk
Rob Howe does not run the site. Pat Harty runs the site.
My apologies. Howe was on the site when Harty started it. I think Miller's little bro worked with him, also.

Then Howe went back to HN and ran it into the ground.

Moving forward, again, I just don't have a good feeling about JPE. I said it a few posts back, also

Can't listen to anything on that site. I can't support Rob Howe on any way. I'm sure it was a wonderful interview.

My apologies. Howe was on the site when Harty started it. I think Miller's little bro worked with him, also.

Moving forward, again, I just don't have a good feeling about JPE. I said it a few posts back, also

Actually, you are correct. Howe & Harty are still affiliated. Howe is still getting paid by Pat Harty / Hawk Fanatic for his photography.

On Howe's Twitter profile, he writes this: Writer for Hawkeye Nation. Photographer for Hawkeye Nation, Hawk Fanatic, Your Prep Sports and Cedar Rapids Gazette.

I love Scott Dochterman and loved his podcasts with Marc Morehouse. When Marc retired, Howe immediately hooked up with Scott & they do a podcast together. I have not listened to one of them, and only because of Howe.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk

Trip at Iowa went great. Connection with Pryce. Got to meet Luka. Parents met Ms Sandfort. Likes Iowa's up-tempo style,... I think if he were wowed by Syracuse, there might have been a commitment today. Got to admit that we have finished runner up a lot with big recruits, but Syracuse has lost a lot of its luster from a decade ago, and their coach is OLD and a proven cheater... No reason to think Iowa doesn't have a great shot.

Trip at Iowa went great. Connection with Pryce. Got to meet Luka. Parents met Ms Sandfort. Likes Iowa's up-tempo style,... I think if he were wowed by Syracuse, there might have been a commitment today. Got to admit that we have finished runner up a lot with big recruits, but Syracuse has lost a lot of its luster from a decade ago, and their coach is OLD and a proven cheater... No reason to think Iowa doesn't have a great shot.
There's some rumblings on a Syracuse message board (free and not affiliated with any recruiting site) that one of the reasons that Boeheim wasn't in any of Estrella's visit photos is because he's being upfront with the family that this is his last year and that one of the assistants he was photographed with is going to get the job. It's all rumor at this point, but it makes sense to me.
I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing when it comes to this recruitment, but it definitely is a factor.

From the story I read, there is no "if" on whether he was wowed by Syracuse. He was definitely wowed by Syracuse.

And JP explained why there was no commitment today when he said this: "I think right now I need to go home, digest it a little bit. Talk with my family, talk with my coaches and see if I'm ready to set a date and just get this thing started."

From the story I read, there is no "if" on whether he was wowed by Syracuse. He was definitely wowed by Syracuse.

And JP explained why there was no commitment today when he said this: "I think right now I need to go home, digest it a little bit. Talk with my family, talk with my coaches and see if I'm ready to set a date and just get this thing started."
A not-so-hot take: almost every visit a high schooler takes to a power 6 program is going to be awesome; a coaching staff would really have to screw something up for it to not be.

There's some rumblings on a Syracuse message board (free and not affiliated with any recruiting site) that one of the reasons that Boeheim wasn't in any of Estrella's visit photos is because he's being upfront with the family that this is his last year and that one of the assistants he was photographed with is going to get the job. It's all rumor at this point, but it makes sense to me.
I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing when it comes to this recruitment, but it definitely is a factor.

Wow. If this season is indeed Jim's last, you would have thought some news outlet would have heard about it and written about it by now. I mean, how do you keep that quiet, especially if recruits are being told this?

And, if this is going to happen, why wouldn't Syracuse use Duke's playbook and be open & up front about it sooner, rather than later, especially if Jim's replacement is already on the staff? Duke announced Coach K's retirement & successor on June 2, 2021. If the rumors about Jim are true, Syracuse could have cleared things up & discussed how the transition is going to work. That way the impact on recruiting should be lessened.

Reactions: perryhawk
A not-so-hot take: almost every visit a high schooler takes to a power 6 program is going to be awesome; a coaching staff would really have to screw something up for it to not be.

I don't disagree. I was just responding to HoustonREDhawk writing "if he were wowed by Syracuse...."

I don't think there are any "if's" about it. JP had a great visit to Syracuse. JP also had a great visit to Iowa. Hopefully JP picks the good guys. :)

As you mentioned, coaching staffs sometimes do screw things up. One example is Iowa wrestling. During Michael Kemerer's official visit, something went very wrong (what exactly, was never disclosed). Kemerer then headed back home to Pennsylvania. Head Coach Tom Brands found out what happened and got in his vehicle and drove to Pennsylvania to meet with Michael to try and fix things. Luckily things worked out & Kemerer committed to the Hawks.

JP really enjoyed his time in IC so we'll see. Hopefully the "Luka effect", and a more stable coaching situation help him choose the Hawks. If he's truly down to Iowa vs Syracuse I look for the decision sooner rather than later.

Just my guess but I think the timing for the visit to Iowa was really good, after Duke was canceled. First Tennessee, which he reportedly has high on his list, that visit was somewhat in the rear view mirror when he visited the good guys. Then by all accounts the Iowa visit was really good….never been here before and in his own words it exceeded his expectations. Some things surprising him in a good way. The Iowa visit, having made a great impression, he had a week to contemplate before his next visit.

I think Fran and staff have done as good of a job as possible….now we just have to wait and see.

Just my guess but I think the timing for the visit to Iowa was really good, after Duke was canceled. First Tennessee, which he reportedly has high on his list, that visit was somewhat in the rear view mirror when he visited the good guys. Then by all accounts the Iowa visit was really good….never been here before and in his own words it exceeded his expectations. Some things surprising him in a good way. The Iowa visit, having made a great impression, he had a week to contemplate before his next visit.

I think Fran and staff have done as good of a job as possible….now we just have to wait and see.

You mentioned momentum above. It seems like things are getting a bit easier on the recruiting trail for Fran & company and I think it can be traced to several things that have put the Iowa program in a positive spotlight:

* Having a 2x B1G Player of the Year & a recent National Player of the Year
* Great success over the last 2 years in the NBA Draft
* Winning the B1G Tournament Championship (it was the only game on TV, right before the Selection Show)

On a side note: when will recruits, who are not from the Midwest, realize that cities in Iowa don't contain corn fields and that you actually have to drive outside of the city before you see a corn field?

Actually, you are correct. Howe & Harty are still affiliated. Howe is still getting paid by Pat Harty / Hawk Fanatic for his photography.

On Howe's Twitter profile, he writes this: Writer for Hawkeye Nation. Photographer for Hawkeye Nation, Hawk Fanatic, Your Prep Sports and Cedar Rapids Gazette.

I love Scott Dochterman and loved his podcasts with Marc Morehouse. When Marc retired, Howe immediately hooked up with Scott & they do a podcast together. I have not listened to one of them, and only because of Howe.

Pat runs the site, but Rob does some work for him. Rob did not do the interview with JP that was referenced. Dallas Jones did that interview.

Pat runs the site, but Rob does some work for him. Rob did not do the interview with JP that was referenced. Dallas Jones did that interview.

I realize that. But Rob is an employee (or independent contractor) of Pat's. And Pat was just as bad as Rob during the racial allegations against KF in 2020. And if anyone questioned Pat's opinion, he quickly called the person a racist. Rob & Pat are 2 peas in a pod. So, I can understand why no one would want to patronize either of their web sites.

Reactions: GoEagles23
I realize that. But Rob is an employee (or independent contractor) of Pat's. And Pat was just as bad as Rob during the racial allegations against KF in 2020. And if anyone questioned Pat's opinion, he quickly called the person a racist. Rob & Pat are 2 peas in a pod. So, I can understand why no one would want to patronize either of their web sites.

That is your and anyone else’s right. I was just correcting a statement that was not right as Rob does not run Hawkfanatic. They do work together, so it is not surprising that they have similar views.

Also, it sounds like what you are saying is that Pat and Rob are not any different than many posters on this board based on what I see with all of the name calling that transpires due to disagreements.

Reactions: BBHawk
You mentioned momentum above. It seems like things are getting a bit easier on the recruiting trail for Fran & company and I think it can be traced to several things that have put the Iowa program in a positive spotlight:

* Having a 2x B1G Player of the Year & a recent National Player of the Year
* Great success over the last 2 years in the NBA Draft
* Winning the B1G Tournament Championship (it was the only game on TV, right before the Selection Show)

On a side note: when will recruits, who are not from the Midwest, realize that cities in Iowa don't contain corn fields and that you actually have to drive outside of the city before you see a corn field?
I would add to this, or at least wonder, how much difference having two younger assistant coaches could have in terms of relating to recruits?….maybe

Wow. If this season is indeed Jim's last, you would have thought some news outlet would have heard about it and written about it by now. I mean, how do you keep that quiet, especially if recruits are being told this?

And, if this is going to happen, why wouldn't Syracuse use Duke's playbook and be open & up front about it sooner, rather than later, especially if Jim's replacement is already on the staff? Duke announced Coach K's retirement & successor on June 2, 2021. If the rumors about Jim are true, Syracuse could have cleared things up & discussed how the transition is going to work. That way the impact on recruiting should be lessened.
Obviously the "Cuse" aren't Duke, in any fashion so expecting them to do likewise might be a stretch.

How about 3 down and 2 to go. Feeling really good about Iowa's chances with Estrella, and who knows with Power.
been awfully quiet since Powers visited Duke and NC. If he takes a second visit to Iowa then I'd ramp up the discussion but until then I think he goes ACC.

I doubt he loses much sleep over these idiots.

I am not a "fan". I believe in freedom of the press, even when I think their POV is asinine.

Carry on.

Now you are just going around in circles, because as everyone can see, you initially called anyone who questions his tactics idiots. Then, in your next post, you wrote that his points of view are asinine, which, in your own words in your prior post, makes you an idiot.

been awfully quiet since Powers visited Duke and NC. If he takes a second visit to Iowa then I'd ramp up the discussion but until then I think he goes ACC.
He hasn't given any interviews--even to Duke or UNC reporters-- in over a week. Someone wrote recently that he got very overwhelmed with all of the attention he got right after Peach Jam and asked coaches and reporters to give him some space. There's supposedly going to be some movement this next week where he cuts down his list of schools and starts to schedule visits. We will see if Iowa makes that list. I'm somewhat hopeful we get a visit but I still think it's likely he ends up out east at a blue blood.

Now you are just going around in circles, because as everyone can see, you initially called anyone who questions his tactics idiots. Then, in your next post, you wrote that his points of view are asinine, which, in your own words in your prior post, makes you an idiot.
You are sick. Get help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT