ADVERTISEMENT

Bill would allow 14-year-olds to serve alcohol in Wisconsin

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Fourteen-year-olds in Wisconsin could serve alcohol to seated customers in bars and restaurants under a bill circulated for cosponsors Monday by a pair of Republican state lawmakers.

Under current law, only workers age 18 and above can serve alcohol to customers in Wisconsin. The bill would broaden that to workers ages 14 to 17. They could only serve to seated customers, not drinkers who are at the bar itself.

The current age limit on serving alcohol “causes workforce issues due to an establishment’s underage employees only being able to do part of their job,” the bill sponsors Sen. Rob Stafsholt, of New Richmond, and Rep. Chanz Green, of Grandview, said in a memo circulated Monday seeking cosponsors.

They said their idea “creates a simple solution” to the state’s workforce shortage problems in the food and beverage industry. The bill requires the licensed operator of the bar or restaurant be on the premises and supervising.

Although no one under the age of 21 can legally drink alcohol, those under 21 — including minors of any age — in Wisconsin can drink in bars and restaurants if they are with their parents.

If the proposal passes, Wisconsin would have the lowest age limit for workers allowed to serve alcohol, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

The measure is a long way from becoming law. It must pass the Senate and Assembly, both controlled by Republicans, and be signed by Democratic Gov. Tony Evers. His spokesperson Britt Cudaback mocked the proposal Monday, listing numerous initiatives Evers has proposed to address the state’s workforce shortage issue including building more housing and funding schools, before forwarding a message detailing the Republican bill.

Translated = the service industry has decided it cannot survive paying what it'd take to get adults to want to do the work, so let's hire children and pay them peanuts.

What could possibly go wrong? Who cares if a 14 year old serves his teenage buddies or horribly over serves adults, getting people killed needlessly.

Reactions: jasonrann
No idea, I was born in 88. I was just wanting to know lol.
Lol. Me too. I actually don't have a problem with the 14-17 yo serving at a sit down table at a restaurant. I do feel that an employee of legal age should id the customers though. Bars are a different story. Edit: I was born in 73 and don't remember young people being able to serve but the drinking age was 18 until 1986 so I think some had to.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
I don't live in Wisconsin nor did I wrote the bill so I don't know it's true intent, but I'm going to assume we're not making bartenders out of 14 year olds. Guessing this is more aimed at snack bar type service or mom and pop type places. Just one fast example that floats to my head is a driving range. Pretty menial job that sets up well for younger adults getting their first job. Mostly just changing out money for putters and buckets of balls and some popcorn and candy bars. But many sell canned beer as well.

My first job, in Iowa, was at a golf course 20 some years ago. I don't know where we're at on the specifics now, but back then at 16 I could sell beer cans in the shop and bar all day long. We couldn't pour a tap beer though as that was an open container, and had to say no or find someone else if there was an 18 year old around. At night and on weekends there would be someone working the bar, but generally during the day it was us shop kids that would cover both since it was basically just a snack bar by day.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
200w.gif

Lol. Me too. I actually don't have a problem with the 14-17 yo serving at a sit down table at a restaurant. I do feel that an employee of legal age should id the customers though. Bars are a different story. Edit: I was born in 73 and don't remember young people being able to serve but the drinking age was 18 until 1986 so I think some had to.
Yeah that’s why I was wondering because of the drinking age. When I was a server in college 2007-2009 they had to be 21. I don’t have an issue with this if the bar/restaurant wants to be held liable for this and the parents sign a waiver. I think it’s good for young people to have more opportunity to make money and learn responsibility

Yeah that’s why I was wondering because of the drinking age. When I was a server in college 2007-2009 they had to be 21. I don’t have an issue with this if the bar/restaurant wants to be held liable for this and the parents sign a waiver. I think it’s good for young people to have more opportunity to make money and learn responsibility
I worked a marina starting at 14 until hs grad. We used to get customers canned beer from the store while gas was being pumped. Not sure when that law changed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT