ADVERTISEMENT

Bizarre Social Media War Between Hawk Press Guys

EasyHawk

HR Legend
Jun 21, 2015
@torbee or anyone else, have you seen the X war between 4 old school beat guys vs David Eickholt (who apparently had a panic attack before leaving for Florida so didn’t make it)? Kakert deleted one nasty tweet but Doc is still slinging. I had heard they hated young new guys but had never believed it until this. Very weird.

@torbee or anyone else, have you seen the X war between 4 old school beat guys vs David Eickholt (who apparently had a panic attack before leaving for Florida so didn’t make it)? Kakert deleted one nasty tweet but Doc is still slinging. I had heard they hated young new guys but had never believed it until this. Very weird.
Sounds more exciting than the team they cover!

Yeah, I've seen some tweets or whatever the effe they are called now and weird is the right way to describe it. It really exposes the maturity of some of these guys too. Like, why do you give a f**k? Just worry about your job.

I am clueless on it and about hit the road for 6 hours. Would much appreciate a link or two to peruse upon my arrival.

Why don't you post the tweets??

Imagine working at what was once a thriving business or factory with people bustling about all over the place.

People slowly leave, then quickly leave. Then you realize it’s now only 4 of you still there. The realization hits that you’re in a dying business and you’re likely next. You begin to turn on the others still remaining, hoping that at least you’re not the next to go.

What is there to cover, other than punts?
Unless you’re sitting in the locker room picking up tidbits of undisclosed info there is not much reason for the beat guys to even be there.

I suppose somebody has to ask Kirk a few questions he won’t answer, but isn’t that all streamed somewhere?

And let’s be honest…they prob see less being at the game than the guys at home watching on tv.

There’s not really any inside info provided by these guys anymore with social media. Combined with the fact that people under 30 aren’t watching sports anymore, the beat writers know they’re doomed. They don’t provide a whole lot more than any other person tweeting from their couch.

And that is what scares them. Their jobs are going away. But most importantly, they might not get free tickets and travel expenses to the games anymore.

He is living in the past. 1) not many are consuming content for this game; and 2) that’s not how people consume info anymore.

Most of us are on this site the OT board. The vast majority of people in the paid lobbies of these sites are boomers. The only people who go “oh, I want to learn about the bowl game, let me find a website for that from one of my respected best journalists” are well past retirement age.

Most people just scroll Twitter feeds and get info from everywhere and from anyone. It’s not like they’re only going to follow those 4 on X and ignore anyone else. We crowd source info, the more the better. That is why these guys are in a tizzy. Their Twitter feeds are not being consumed anymore than people who are not at the game. And it drives them crazy.

He is living in the past. 1) not many are consuming content for this game; and 2) that’s not how people consume info anymore.

Most of us are on this site the OT board. The vast majority of people in the paid lobbies of these sites are boomers. The only people who go “oh, I want to learn about the bowl game, let me find a website for that from one of my respected best journalists” are well past retirement age.

Most people just scroll Twitter feeds and get info from everywhere and from anyone. It’s not like they’re only going to follow those 4 on X and ignore anyone else. We crowd source info, the more the better. That is why these guys are in a tizzy. Their Twitter feeds are not being consumed anymore than people who are not at the game. And it drives them crazy.
There’s that. But some of us get up at 5:00 in the morning, do chores, and walk down a 2 mile lane, uphill both ways, in 2 foot of snow, to get the goddamn Gazette.

I didn’t think Chad’s tweet was a shot at anyone; just pointing out there wasn’t a lot of media coverage. Kakert was pretty snarky though.
I think he was also taking a shot, he’s just better at keeping it veiled and having deniability.

Reactions: ping72
Why don't you post the tweets??

I am not sure how to judge on this when I read:

“I elected not to tell anyone about my experience including my bosses, Sean Bock, my media colleagues and immediate family. This will be the first they are hearing of it. Instead, I stayed quiet and wanted to focus on work…”

As a manager / boss, an employee not showing up to a jobsite and then telling me after the fact they are have been unwell due to a panic attack they just happened to suffer during Christmas break would smell like BS.

Not sure how that conversation does not happen. It’s pretty easy and you for sure would want to let your boss know what is going on in some manner, you can still keep it vague if embarrassed. A simple “Bossman, I have been struggling with some health issues starting December 19th that I would rather not discuss and will not be able to cover the game in Orlando but still plan to crank out articles remotely”

I didn’t think Chad’s tweet was a shot at anyone; just pointing out there wasn’t a lot of media coverage. Kakert was pretty snarky though.
Agree. Chad tweeted today his colleague isn’t there either, his point was there are fewer media folks at bowl games, especially early.

I am not sure how to judge on this when I read:

“I elected not to tell anyone about my experience including my bosses, Sean Bock, my media colleagues and immediate family. This will be the first they are hearing of it. Instead, I stayed quiet and wanted to focus on work…”

As a manager / boss, an employee not showing up to a jobsite and then telling me after the fact they are have been unwell due to a panic attack they just happened to suffer during Christmas break would smell like BS.

Not sure how that conversation does not happen. It’s pretty easy and you for sure would want to let your boss know what is going on in some manner, you can still keep it vague if embarrassed. A simple “Bossman, I have been struggling with some health issues starting December 19th that I would rather not discuss and will not be able to cover the game in Orlando but still plan to crank out articles remotely”

I’m guessing it’s not the type of setup you would typically find in an office place. Working for a large company like that, the boss likely “manages” people over 100 different team sites. He probably only has metrics about putting out certain numbers of articles, etc and doesn’t do regular check-in’s.

Personally, I don’t see a whole lot of reason for him to discuss this with his boss unless there’s some part of his job he cannot perform. And I don’t think not being there in person keeps him from being unable to do his job.

• Haha
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
I’m guessing it’s not the type of setup you would typically find in an office place. Working for a large company like that, the boss likely “manages” people over 100 different team sites. He probably only has metrics about putting out certain numbers of articles, etc and doesn’t do regular check-in’s.

Personally, I don’t see a whole lot of reason for him to discuss this with his boss unless there’s some part of his job he cannot perform. And I don’t think not being there in person keeps him from being unable to do his job.
Well I don’t know for sure his working arrangement, but if I was in a job where it was expected I go to big Iowa Football games to cover them in person, and I was going to no show the Bowl game, I think I would let my supervisor know I was not planning to go there. It would be a better way for the boss to find out.

Well I don’t know for sure his working arrangement, but if I was in a job where it was expected I go to big Iowa Football games to cover them in person, and I was going to no show the Bowl game, I think I would let my supervisor know I was not planning to go there. It would be a better way for the boss to find out.
He prob did tell his boss about not going, just prob not about the very personal mental health issue.

Unless you’re sitting in the locker room picking up tidbits of undisclosed info there is not much reason for the beat guys to even be there.

I suppose somebody has to ask Kirk a few questions he won’t answer, but isn’t that all streamed somewhere?

And let’s be honest…they prob see less being at the game than the guys at home watching on tv.

There’s not really any inside info provided by these guys anymore with social media. Combined with the fact that people under 30 aren’t watching sports anymore, the beat writers know they’re doomed. They don’t provide a whole lot more than any other person tweeting from their couch.

And that is what scares them. Their jobs are going away. But most importantly, they might not get free tickets and travel expenses to the games anymore.
I also think the rapidly declining importance of HS recruiting has these sites nervous.

I totally get where these guys actually there are coming from seeing how they are spending their time and money to provide coverage while someone else is submitting articles from home. To point out that difference doesn’t seem out of bounds to me. And, I agree that these guys are sensitive about a dying career field, but I also think that’s why they want to point out who’s actually there vs regurgitating things from home. I follow all of these guys to get different perspectives too.

Saw Eickholt has a podcast scheduled for later. Guess he's worked past the debilatating panic attack.

No shit. While the old boys club is picking on Eickholt he comes off as a little bitch for using his condition as his excuse. Uses it like a weapon. He didn’t and shouldn’t have put his business out there.

“I couldn’t attend whatever bowl game for personal reasons” case fuking closed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT