ADVERTISEMENT

Bizarre Social Media War Between Hawk Press Guys

@torbee or anyone else, have you seen the X war between 4 old school beat guys vs David Eickholt (who apparently had a panic attack before leaving for Florida so didn’t make it)? Kakert deleted one nasty tweet but Doc is still slinging. I had heard they hated young new guys but had never believed it until this. Very weird.
I think the beef is they believe Eicholt often takes content from others and passes it off as his own. Frankly, I haven’t paid that close of attention, but know TK and Doc are good dudes and true professionals so I tend to believe them.

I know from the tv side that attending a bowl game or basketball tournament was almost always based on $. Some years my bosses sent someone, other times they did not. It never became personal about who was/wasn’t there. In this case, must be some underlying issue.

I'm wondering if Maryland or Auburn has anyone covering their game. This article is so poorly written.

I have heard Eickholt on KXNO and in pods complaining about not being welcomed because he is young and threatening to the old guard. He seems really insecure and dramatic.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I have heard Eickholt on KXNO and in pods complaining about not being welcomed because he is young and threatening to the old guard. He seems really insecure and dramatic.
I’ve heard him complain of this too, but he’s not welcomed due to what Torbee alluded to earlier. Has nothing to do with being young or new. Still kinda funny to watch this sideshow though.

Are there any tweets that actually constitute a direct shot at Eickholt? Or is that just how he perceived them? Because pointing out that there were only 4 guys covering the game in person doesn’t really seem like it’s singling out Eickholt so much as pointing out that there aren’t many guys covering the game.

Even if Eickholt makes the trip then there are only 5 guys, which still seems like a small number. I don’t know that the “old boys network” was singling out Eickholt so much as pointing out a troubling trend.

I can't speak for E. I won't. But I have no doubt in my mind that some of those established will feel threatened by a newcomer.

I guarantee I could do a better job than some of the established. So could many of you.

Reactions: Moral
No shit. While the old boys club is picking on Eickholt he comes off as a little bitch for using his condition as his excuse. Uses it like a weapon. He didn’t and shouldn’t have put his business out there.

“I couldn’t attend whatever bowl game for personal reasons” case fuking closed

He’s always complaining about some tweet from some random dude. He’s the typical kid coming out of college today. Social media is too big of a deal for them and treat every comment like they are in high school.
He’s too concerned about his social standing amongst the players and public.

I would say this whole thing is an indictment of the bowl system, the football program or the 24/7 news cycle.

Normally these reports from these bowl week are fluff pieces. Otherwise its hard hitting journalism like KCRG telling us “the hawks are just focused on preparing for this game”

Reactions: Bierhalter
I would say this whole thing is an indictment of the bowl system
The CFP and the transfer portal are quickly killing the bowl system. It will cease to exist as we know it within 5 years.

Last night’s Cotton Bowl was a watershed moment. Five weeks ago Ohio State was 11-0 and dreaming of a Big Ten Championship and berth in the CFP. A loss to Michigan ended both of those dreams and they didn’t give a shit about anything after that.

The Cotton Bowl has always been one of the 5 or 6 most prestigious bowl games. In most years it is a fantastic reward for a great season. Last night it was a nuisance for everyone in the Ohio State program. Their quarterback transferred. Their star wide receiver chose not to play in the game. Their fans only bought 2/3 of their ticket allotment. The score at the end of the third quarter was 3-0. They eventually lost 14-3 while racking up an Iowa-like 203 yards of total offense.

This is not a sustainable format.

The CFP and the transfer portal are quickly killing the bowl system. It will cease to exist as we know it within 5 years.

Last night’s Cotton Bowl was a watershed moment. Five weeks ago Ohio State was 11-0 and dreaming of a Big Ten Championship and berth in the CFP. A loss to Michigan ended both of those dreams and they didn’t give a shit about anything after that.

The Cotton Bowl has always been one of the 5 or 6 most prestigious bowl games. In most years it is a fantastic reward for a great season. Last night it was a nuisance for everyone in the Ohio State program. Their quarterback transferred. Their star wide receiver chose not to play in the game. Their fans only bought 2/3 of their ticket allotment. The score at the end of the third quarter was 3-0. They eventually lost 14-3 while racking up an Iowa-like 203 yards of total offense.

There is really no need to have a lot of people down there to cover some of these bowls

Reactions: TJ8869 and Moral

I agree it seems like many of the "big" players today don't care about any bowl beyond the playoffs especially from schools that just missed going to the playoff. The lesser bowls have been better games so far. Something will have to change or you're right bowl games will die for lack of interest from fans as well.

If there's money to be made from the bowl games outside the playoff I think some changes will be made like not opening the portal until after the bowl season.

As much as I thought I wanted playoff games to determine the "true" National Champion, it's ruining the best holiday sports season ever.

I agree it seems like many of the "big" players today don't care about any bowl beyond the playoffs especially from schools that just missed going to the playoff. The lesser bowls have been better games so far. Something will have to change or you're right bowl games will die for lack of interest from fans as well.

If there's money to be made from the bowl games outside the playoff I think some changes will be made like not opening the portal until after the bowl season.

As much as I thought I wanted playoff games to determine the "true" National Champion, it's ruining the best holiday sports season ever.

Even with the transfers and opt outs bowl games are still getting large tv audiences. Hell some of the C and D level games early in bowl season had 1.5-2 million viewers, so I don't know how much fan interest has declined so far.

Next year the CFP expands. More team involved, less players sitting out and more compelling games. Outside of the fans of teams in most bowl games (especially non-J6 games) they have always been filler.

I am for the playoffs. They can make it simple, make the season matter and continue with bowls.

Take however many number of bowl conference there are (is it 11 at the moment?) regardless of how small the conference, and put their champions in a playoff. If there is an odd number of conference champions (once re-alignment is complete), figured out a bye format.

If you dont win your conference championship game, you dont get in the playoffs. If East/West was still in play and michigan is left out because they lost to Iowa in the B1GCG, tough. Win your championship.

Make the other bowls meaningful by reducing the number of bowls. If teams are going to pad their non confernce schedule with the Northeast Idaho Techs of the world, require 8 wins for bowl eligibility.

Even with the transfers and opt outs bowl games are still getting large tv audiences. Hell some of the C and D level games early in bowl season had 1.5-2 million viewers, so I don't know how much fan interest has declined so far.
I guess I'm basing that on my interest. I love bowl season probably more than the playoffs, but this year some of the games I was looking forward to watching have become blowouts not because one team was that much better than the other, but because of star players no longer participating. I've found myself changing the channel often and that doesn't usually happen when I watch football.

Make the other bowls meaningful by reducing the number of bowls. If teams are going to pad their non confernce schedule with the Northeast Idaho Techs of the world, require 8 wins for bowl eligibility.
In this day and age, star players don't seem to care about any post season games besides the playoffs. I don't think reducing the number of games outside the playoff is going to convince those players not to opt out or transfer.

Next year the CFP expands. More team involved, less players sitting out and more compelling games. Outside of the fans of teams in most bowl games (especially non-J6 games) they have always been filler.
Or it might get even worse. As it stands now with a 4-team playoff, the season begins with maybe 15 or 20 teams who have a realistic shot at making it. Increase the field to 12 teams and now there are 30 or more teams that start the season with a realistic shot at making it.

Ohio State didn’t even bother showing up for the Cotton Bowl. Florida State didn’t even bother showing up for the Orange Bowl. That’s two of the top six bowl games being saddled with a team who had zero interest in being there.

Now the field expands to 12 teams. If the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl aren’t good enough then how many teams are going to be excited about a B or C level bowl bid when they expected to be one of the 12 teams in the playoff?

Reactions: gohawks50
In this day and age, star players don't seem to care about any post season games besides the playoffs. I don't think reducing the number of games outside the playoff is going to convince those players not to opt out or transfer.
Make changes to the transfer process

Unless a player is jumping to the NFL, the players have to complete the season through the bowl game or they have to sit half of the following season at their new school.

what i mentioned in my previous post eliminates the whining of being left out or bias. Didnt win your conference championship, tough shit.

Either do that, or expand the playoffs to 32teams and get rid of bowls.

Or it might get even worse. As it stands now with a 4-team playoff, the season begins with maybe 15 or 20 teams who have a realistic shot at making it. Increase the field to 12 teams and now there are 30 or more teams that start the season with a realistic shot at making it.

Ohio State didn’t even bother showing up for the Cotton Bowl. Florida State didn’t even bother showing up for the Orange Bowl. That’s two of the top six bowl games being saddled with a team who had zero interest in being there.

Now the field expands to 12 teams. If the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl aren’t good enough then how many teams are going to be excited about a B or C level bowl bid when they expected to be one of the 12 teams in the playoff?
There is too many bowls as it stands. I mean I guess I have the tv on and half pay attention to the Gator or Pop Tart bowl… but I really don’t care about these games if Iowa isn’t playing.

There is too many bowls as it stands. I mean I guess I have the tv on and half pay attention to the Gator or Pop Tart bowl… but I really don’t care about these games if Iowa isn’t playing.
Are you old enough to remember bowl season before the BCS or playoff system?

This seems to be the easiest solution. Commitments should be honored until the season is over or they should at least be ineligible for at least part of the season with their new college team.
That makes sense but would also immediately trigger a lawsuit. The NCAA basically created a wide open free agency system and there is no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube now.

Changing the portal dates isn’t going to help because guys who have already made up their mind to transfer at the end of the regular season aren’t going to stick around for the bowl game even if you make them wait a few more weeks to enter the portal.

And forcing them to sit out part of the following season with their new team isn’t going to hold up to legal challenges.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT