ADVERTISEMENT

Bizarre Social Media War Between Hawk Press Guys

That makes sense but would also immediately trigger a lawsuit. The NCAA basically created a wide open free agency system and there is no way to put the toothpaste back in the tube now.

Changing the portal dates isn’t going to help because guys who have already made up their mind to transfer at the end of the regular season aren’t going to stick around for the bowl game even if you make them wait a few more weeks to enter the portal.

And forcing them to sit out part of the following season with their new team isn’t going to hold up to legal challenges.
I'm no lawyer, but couldn't a change to the letter of intent an athlete signs take care of any legal challenges by requiring the athlete to remain as a part of the team until the season including bowl games over. It used to be the standard that transferring would require sitting out for a period of time.

Reactions: auntie_fah
I'm no lawyer, but couldn't a change to the letter of intent an athlete signs take care of any legal challenges by requiring the athlete to remain as a part of the team until the season including bowl games over. It used to be the standard that transferring would require sitting out for a period of time.

You are right, you are not a lawyer. That being said, a contract is a contract. As long as individual is 18 when they sign the contract, with the express option of having their own attorney look it over....f 'em.

I am sick and tired of listening about how hard these athletes have it.

Are you old enough to remember bowl season before the BCS or playoff system?
Yes, and again, outside of a few games nobody really cared about results unless you were a fan of those teams in whatever bowl you want to insert. Now, I know there are those who will watch any football game and find joy but for the vast majority that isn’t the case. The older I have gotten the more I have noticed this. Again, the playoff will help because guys will not sit those out, but the number of other games will contract in the years ahead.

Several states have already filed lawsuits challenging the NCAA policy of requiring players to sit out a year after their second transfer. And they're probably going to win. Any attempt to strip eligibility away from players because they didn't stick around for a bowl game is going to meet similar legal challenges.

I agree with you that players should be obligated to finish the season. I just don't see a way to realistically make it happen.

Reactions: gohawks50
Several states have already filed lawsuits challenging the NCAA policy of requiring players to sit out a year after their second transfer. And they're probably going to win. Any attempt to strip eligibility away from players because they didn't stick around for a bowl game is going to meet similar legal challenges.

I agree with you that players should be obligated to finish the season. I just don't see a way to realistically make it happen.
There isn’t a coach out there that will want a player or several players taking reps or being in meetings/practices who have no interest in being there.

I think the beef is they believe Eicholt often takes content from others and passes it off as his own. Frankly, I haven’t paid that close of attention, but know TK and Doc are good dudes and true professionals so I tend to believe them.
Translation = they are liberals so he always believes them.

• Love
Reactions: Roncuba55
There isn’t a coach out there that will want a player or several players taking reps or being in meetings/practices who have no interest in being there.
I almost wrote this same point but then I thought about it and decided not to. I think i. most cases that’s probably correct. But there are probably cases where a coach would want the current starter to play even if he knows he intends to transfer.

I think if the replacement for next season is already on the roster then the coach is going to want to get the new guy some practice reps. But in a case like Kyle McCord, I think Ryan Day probably would have let him play in the bowl game because he knows that next year’s starting QB is coming from the portal and isn’t on the roster yet, so might as well give the current team the best chance at winning right now.

Yes, and again, outside of a few games nobody really cared about results unless you were a fan of those teams in whatever bowl you want to insert. Now, I know there are those who will watch any football game and find joy but for the vast majority that isn’t the case. The older I have gotten the more I have noticed this. Again, the playoff will help because guys will not sit those out, but the number of other games will contract in the years ahead.
The Bowls were huge back then. Meant way more than they seem to now. They were appointment TV.

You are right, you are not a lawyer. That being said, a contract is a contract. As long as individual is 18 when they sign the contract, with the express option of having their own attorney look it over....f 'em.

I am sick and tired of listening about how hard these athletes have it.
They have it great or nobody would aspire to play D1. They HAD it pretty damn awesome before this Wild West crap began.

I know you weren’t asking me, but I’m so old I was at the frigid Gator Bowl in 1983. I thought the cold would be advantage Iowa and Florida would suffer but did not work out.
Coldest game, by far, I have ever attended. Long delay leaving because an old Hawk fan collapsed and died from a heart attack outside our bus. 😔

Reactions: EasyHawk
I almost wrote this same point but then I thought about it and decided not to. I think i. most cases that’s probably correct. But there are probably cases where a coach would want the current starter to play even if he knows he intends to transfer.

I think if the replacement for next season is already on the roster then the coach is going to want to get the new guy some practice reps. But in a case like Kyle McCord, I think Ryan Day probably would have let him play in the bowl game because he knows that next year’s starting QB is coming from the portal and isn’t on the roster yet, so might as well give the current team the best chance at winning right now.
I’d have told Day to pound sand. Haha if he was running me off there’s no way I’d play for him.

I just liked watching college football. More bowls the better I used to think.
I really started losing interest in cfb in the last 5-8 years. Been mainky watching Iowa during that time and that is getting hard to watch. And Iowas grind it out wins against bad teams are only a small portion of why its getting hard to watch. The frequent commercial breaks are making the product worse. At a game, nothing seems to drain the energy of a crowd going crazy than a red hat stopping play for commercials.

And goddamn, i hate the scorebug graphics fox used this year for college football.

Change the portal date, Bowls provide NIL and a winner's payout and you change the dynamic.

The demise of the bowl system has been predicted for many, many years. There's too much interest and $$ for that to happen. It will evolve.

The Bowls were huge back then. Meant way more than they seem to now. They were appointment TV.
There also wasn’t as much competition for eyeballs either - basic cable, no internet. Between Thansksgiving and New Years Day, if you liked sports, you watched college football because that was about all you had to watch.

Change the portal date,
I doubt that will help much. If a guy has already decided he intends to transfer then forcing him to wait a few weeks to declare isn’t going to be enough incentive to stay and participate in the bowl game.
Bowls provide NIL
I wonder if there is a way that the NCAA and/or the bowls could provide insurance policies for players who project in the draft. Going back to the days of Chuck Long, players who chose to continue playing in college have purchased insurance policies in case they suffer a serious injury.
and a winner's payout and you change the dynamic.
I’m not sure if that would be legal. Then again, there’s not much left that isn’t legal anymore. Except football players betting on women’s basketball games, apparently.
The demise of the bowl system has been predicted for many, many years. There's too much interest and $$ for that to happen. It will evolve.
There will always be postseason football. There is huge money in that. But the bowl system that we have known for decades is circling the drain. The Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl were total disasters.

I doubt that will help much. If a guy has already decided he intends to transfer then forcing him to wait a few weeks to declare isn’t going to be enough incentive to stay and participate in the bowl game.

I wonder if there is a way that the NCAA and/or the bowls could provide insurance policies for players who project in the draft. Going back to the days of Chuck Long, players who chose to continue playing in college have purchased insurance policies in case they suffer a serious injury.

I’m not sure if that would be legal. Then again, there’s not much left that isn’t legal anymore. Except football players betting on women’s basketball games, apparently.

There will always be postseason football. There is huge money in that. But the bowl system that we have known for decades is circling the drain. The Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl were total disasters.
I think you’re generally right.

I believe bowls that aren’t incorporated into the playoffs will go away.

In combination with bowls paying NIL and winner's share I think it would impact the decision of many. I believe school's can already pay for insurance policies but that's not much of an incentive - you get paid only if you have a career impacting injury. There's nothing illegal about private entities paying college players now. That's what NIL is all about.

The bowl games are still drawing a tremendous number of viewers. You might not like the games themselves but they are still money makers for those putting them on. I foresee the bowls introducing some sort of incentives to keep start players from opting out to improve the on field product.

Change the portal date, Bowls provide NIL and a winner's payout and you change the dynamic.

The issue with the portal date is the players still need to hit the enrollment period at the school, typically December 10-January 10.

The issue with the portal date is the players still need to hit the enrollment period at the school, typically December 10-January 10.
Why? I mean, I understand the motivation for it but it's not mandatory that someone transfers at semester break. And there's no reason someone can't announce on Jan 1 and enroll Jan 10.

Many of these things are done before the portal date anyway. I just don't see the need to make it easier. And I think the monetary incentive is far more impactful. Especially when a player opting out might be costing his teammates tens of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: Kelsers
Why? I mean, I understand the motivation for it but it's not mandatory that someone transfers at semester break. And there's no reason someone can't announce on Jan 1 and enroll Jan 10.
As I’ve already stated several times, if a player has made up his mind on December 1 that he wants to transfer then making him wait a month before entering the portal isn’t going to compel him to stay for the bowl game.

The problem isn’t when the portal opens. The problem is that the portal opens.

As I’ve already stated several times, if a player has made up his mind on December 1 that he wants to transfer then making him wait a month before entering the portal isn’t going to compel him to stay for the bowl game.

The problem isn’t when the portal opens. The problem is that the portal opens.
You have no idea how it would affect decisions. Particularly in combination with NIL and winner payment from the bowls.

The portal has to open sometime.

I didn't ask you the question.

• Haha
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
Personally, I’ve stopped consuming everything except for the game. Predictions, back stories, commercials commercials commercials. I can’t wait for the kick off and actual action. The rest is garbage, and I used to bathe in it. No more.
1000% this. Been that way for years now.

I don't turn games on until the moment its slated to start - at least, the TV coverage - and turn it off real soon, if not immediately, afterwards.

I'm someone who never watches the 2.5-3hr pregame shit on fall Saturdays & Sundays, unless one of the big pregame programs - ESPN GameDay or FOX's version - is directly covering a Hawk game. And even then, I still usually don't watch until its final seconds as it transitions from pregame to game coverage.

I freely admit that I used to live for that kind of stuff, and watching SportsCenter as much as possible all week, but now I only watch actual games and none of the extra 'fluff' & continual sports 'coverage'.

I haven’t really looked at it, but I imagine if they win a case striking down an NCAA policy requiring a year after the second transfer, such a rule would survive at the conference or school level. The problem would then be if all of the conferences or schools got together and agreed (colluded) to effectively impose the NCAA-level rule.

After today’s pathetic performance, not sure it’s worth the expense to cover a bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT