ADVERTISEMENT

Blessing in Disguise?

Georgia_Hawk

HR MVP
Oct 17, 2016
When CJ Frederick left, I thought it put the team in a really bad position.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but are we better off because of his decision? If he would have stayed, he would not be playing due to the injury. JBo might have moved on. And it wouldn't have surpised me if one of Touissant, Ulis or Perkins transferred out.

When CJ Frederick left, I thought it put the team in a really bad position.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but are we better off because of his decision? If he would have stayed, he would not be playing due to the injury. JBo might have moved on. And it wouldn't have surpised me if one of Touissant, Ulis or Perkins transferred out.
Yes.

Very glad in hindsight that CJ and his glass feet left town. But, man, is it hard to not think about how good this team could be with Nunge at the 5.

Yes in hindsight, absolutely. i hadnt thought about this in a while, which is a good thing. If iowa had a bad year i would be thinking a lot more about frederick and nunge... Actually I still think about what could have neen with nunge.

I kind of disagree. If Nunge or CJ or both stayed others would have been getting less minutes. Who would those be who lose those minutes? At the end of the day Iowa is a 20 game winner and 4th best scoring team in the country. Plus they have been playing good defense. What makes anyone think Iowa would be better in any of those categories if they stayed? Iowa is basically where Iowa always is this time of the year, for better or worse. Neither CJ nor Nunge is that good to make that big of a difference to put Iowa over the top. We had the national player of the year last year and we are kind of in the same place now vs last year.

I kind of disagree. If Nunge or CJ or both stayed others would have been getting less minutes. Who would those be who lose those minutes? At the end of the day Iowa is a 20 game winner and 4th best scoring team in the country. Plus they have been playing good defense. What makes anyone think Iowa would be better in any of those categories if they stayed? Iowa is basically where Iowa always is this time of the year, for better or worse. Neither CJ nor Nunge is that good to make that big of a difference to put Iowa over the top. We had the national player of the year last year and we are kind of in the same place now vs last year.
Agree on CJ, but Nunge > Rebracca and that’s not a knock a Rebracca. Nunge on this team I would be expecting a deep run in both tournaments. Still could see it without him, but I think his low post presence would have been a huge help.

If Nunge had stayed, Rebraca probably is not here. Minutes would largely be the game. No, Nunge being here would not make Iowa Big 10 champ or Final 4 team. But would have been marginally better. Rebraca has been capable and willing, and a better option than Josh O or Mulvey.

Getting into the tournament after losing two NBA players and two other good players (Nunge and Frederick) is a good year. Fran came under criticism from me (and others) for the team's lack of attention on defense earlier this year, have to also dole out the praise when it's due. His decision to put the ball back in Bohannon's hands, start Perkins and keep playing Connor even when he was 4-27 on 3's or whatever it was has worked out.

I would like nothing more than for this team to make it past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. I would gladly eat plenty of helpings of crow from the Fran fans on this board and the gloating would be well deserved. Hawks need to beat Northwestern and then they are playing with house money in the final 2 road games. Win 1 of those and team is really set up nicely.

I mostly agree. Iowa probably wins both the Rutgers and Penn State game with Nunge. You are right however that Iowa is basically where it always is outside of last years team. That team like all other Iowa teams did not make it out of the first weekend in the Tournament though. Can this years team wise up and win two NCAA games? Let's hope so. I do think over the last five years Iowa has gained momentum in the program. The NCAA tournament is a lot about matchups and Iowa hasn't fared well there. Nobody thought much of Tom Davis's last team before that season too and they made it to the Sweet 16.

If Nunge had stayed, Rebraca probably is not here. Minutes would largely be the game. No, Nunge being here would not make Iowa Big 10 champ or Final 4 team. But would have been marginally better. Rebraca has been capable and willing, and a better option than Josh O or Mulvey.

Getting into the tournament after losing two NBA players and two other good players (Nunge and Frederick) is a good year. Fran came under criticism from me (and others) for the team's lack of attention on defense earlier this year, have to also dole out the praise when it's due. His decision to put the ball back in Bohannon's hands, start Perkins and keep playing Connor even when he was 4-27 on 3's or whatever it was has worked out.

I would like nothing more than for this team to make it past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. I would gladly eat plenty of helpings of crow from the Fran fans on this board and the gloating would be well deserved. Hawks need to beat Northwestern and then they are playing with house money in the final 2 road games. Win 1 of those and team is really set up nicely.
I've been enjoying my servings of Connor crow! I thought he was playing too much also. It's amazing how much better a player looks when he can make his shots. Connor is on a roll. 6 straight 3 point makes! His overall game has been very good too.

Probably a 2 or 3 loss team at this point if you swap Nunge for Rebraca.

Agree on CJ, but Nunge > Rebracca and that’s not a knock a Rebracca. Nunge on this team I would be expecting a deep run in both tournaments. Still could see it without him, but I think his low post presence would have been a huge help.
Agree. I like Rebraca and he's a solid player but Nunge is an upgrade defensively and on the offensive side he can stretch a defense to create space for others down low. Completely different players.

Rebraca...........I'll live with that.

Reactions: natchrlman
Btw, it is worth a thought.

Would a Weiskamp-run team meant that Keegan wouldn't have been as dominant a focus scoring wise and therefore made it more likely that he returns next year?...................

Btw, it is worth a thought.

Would a Weiskamp-run team meant that Keegan wouldn't have been as dominant a focus scoring wise and therefore made it more likely that he returns next year?...................
Or think about a starting 5 if he came back of Nunge, Keegan, JoeW, Fredrick or jbo (take your pick which one is on the team) and Joet most likely at PG.

Didn't like the way CJ left, but he could play. Given the injury, OP is probably correct. As others have said, Nunge is the transfer that hurt. If we could have still added Rebraca, the Nunge/Rebraca combo at center could have made Iowa deep at every position. If's and but's...

Reactions: IAGuy
That’s my whole point. Undoubtedly one for one Nunge is > Rebraca. But in that context, that most likely means he would command more minutes and that most likely would have meant less minutes for Kris M. By that distribution, I still say Iowa as a whole are just as good this year as they would have been if Nunge stayed. It’s not just about one player vs another player.

Reactions: ichawk24
I think we are quicker defensively with our current personnel. Would Nunge be helping us on the glass?

That’s my whole point. Undoubtedly one for one Nunge is > Rebraca. But in that context, that most likely means he would command more minutes and that most likely would have meant less minutes for Kris M. By that distribution, I still say Iowa as a whole are just as good this year as they would have been if Nunge stayed. It’s not just about one player vs another player.
If Nunge stays his distance shooting threat opens up the inside for our non shooting guards to penetrate, score or dish. Also provides Kegan additional freedom inside. That doesn’t even account for us having a better inside presence in rebounds and defense.

Reactions: jonesy5960
If Nunge stays his distance shooting threat opens up the inside for our non shooting guards to penetrate, score or dish. Also provides Kegan additional freedom inside. That doesn’t even account for us having a better inside presence in rebounds and defense.
Nunge, in a far less tougher and less physical conference this year is commanding 26 mins a game and avg 13 pts and 7 rebs. Rebraca gets 20 mins a game and gives 7 pts and 6 reb and Kris M avg 18 mins, 10 pts and 5 rebs per game. If you take Nunge’s avg and transmit those same stats to playing in the big ten ( which is highly unlikely considering the talent level is much better) the combination of Rebraca and Kris M. Stats for those same 26 mins does not make that big of a difference to say that would change our team record this year. I just do not see the upgrade argument if you compare minute to minute position stats. As for Keegan Murray, he is the 4th leading scorer in the country at 24 a game. He scores from everywhere even down low, so would we be saying have Nunge would allow him to score 28 pts a game? I don’t see that either. He most likely would still be around 24 a game.

Nunge, in a far less tougher and less physical conference this year is commanding 26 mins a game and avg 13 pts and 7 rebs. Rebraca gets 20 mins a game and gives 7 pts and 6 reb and Kris M avg 18 mins, 10 pts and 5 rebs per game. If you take Nunge’s avg and transmit those same stats to playing in the big ten ( which is highly unlikely considering the talent level is much better) the combination of Rebraca and Kris M. Stats for those same 26 mins does not make that big of a difference to say that would change our team record this year. I just do not see the upgrade argument if you compare minute to minute position stats. As for Keegan Murray, he is the 4th leading scorer in the country at 24 a game. He scores from everywhere even down low, so would we be saying have Nunge would allow him to score 28 pts a game? I don’t see that either. He most likely would still be around 24 a game.
You're way undervaluing the Big East and Jack. Nunge was an excellent player last year in B1G conference play. His PER was on par with Keegan and JoeW. On a per 40 basis his rebounding was easily the best on the team. As a true stretch 5, his outside shooting would definitely pull a defender away from Keegan and others inside the key. I like Rebraca. Nunge was/is just a lot better.

My opinion is that Joe W and Fredrick quit on there teammates and fans. Joe W could have played another year and maybe even improved his play and draft stock or could still be a early to mid 2nd round pick if he just stays the cours, I felt Fredrick checked out mid season last year, don’t let the door hit ya on the way out quiter

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
My opinion is that Joe W and Fredrick quit on there teammates and fans. Joe W could have played another year and maybe even improved his play and draft stock or could still be a early to mid 2nd round pick if he just stays the cours, I felt Fredrick checked out mid season last year, don’t let the door hit ya on the way out quiter
Lol that you think Wieskamp quit on the Hawks. I guess Garza quit too, since he could have come back.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Nunge would be one of the top 4/5 centers in the B1G and would have give Iowa a much better match up against Illannoy, Purdon't and UM. We would be a better team with Jack, but it is hard to say how much better, or whether we even would have gotten Rebraca.

CJ got hurt January 21 at home vs IU, right before half with the Hawks up 7. Iowa went on to lose that game and three of the next four. (1-4) with an injured CJ. The only win of that group was vs MSU and CJ played in that game in a limited role. All four losses CJ was out.

I’d guess that CJ was playing injured to finish out the season more than he checked out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT