ADVERTISEMENT

Body found in Cedar River identified as missing Cedar Rapids employee

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Human remains that were found in the Cedar River last week have been identified as Erik Spaw, a Cedar Rapids employee who went missing last summer, according to a news release from the Cedar Rapids Police Department.

Spaw, 54, was reported missing on May 7. He’d been working the night before at the Northwest Water Treatment Plant at 7807 Ellis Rd. NW, and was reported missing by his co-workers, who noticed he never returned to the J Avenue Water Treatment Plant, where his personal car was parked.

Spaw’s city-owned pickup truck was found submerged in the Cedar River just upriver from the Edgewood Road bridge with no one inside. His mother, Karen Spaw, told The Gazette at the time that he had diabetes and he’d been having trouble regulating his insulin intake, so she believed he may have passed out from low-blood sugar and driven into the river.

Advertisement

Cedar Rapids search crews spent several days on the river looking for Spaw, and periodically returned throughout the summer to continue searching.

On Friday Dec. 30, hunters spotted Spaw’s remains in the Cedar River just below the water treatment facility near Bertram Road in Cedar Rapids. A Cedar Rapids water rescue team located and recovered the remains, which were sent to the Iowa Office of the State Medical Examiner.

The medical examiner’s office identified the remains as Spaw’s Thursday morning. Foul play is not suspected in his death, according to the news release from the police department.

"On Friday Dec. 30, hunters spotted Spaw’s remains in the Cedar River just below the water treatment facility near Bertram Road in Cedar Rapids."

Not good, but I guess better than if they'd discovered the remains just above the water treatment facility.

I actually guessed this when they found a body. My arm hurts from trying to pat myself on the back.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT