ADVERTISEMENT

Booger McFarland

Keep in mind - Petras started 2/11 and finished 15/20. While he isn’t a world beater he and the offense made the adjustments needed
Yes, he played better in the second half. But if you look at all 60 minutes…oof. Only thing I take comfort in from that performance, is we will not see a better D until the Post season, if ever again this year.

Yes, he played better in the second half. But if you look at all 60 minutes…oof. Only thing I take comfort in from that performance, is we will not see a better D until the Post season, if ever again this year.
Have no Fear! Hawk Players have IT.... Starts with Coach Parker no? Go Hawks!

Reactions: ClarindaA's
That was a gritty performance. He got smacked in the teeth all game, started slow and there was no panic.

QBs are going to struggle at times against defenses that good. I was very encouraged that he just kept playing.

So just watching from TV it doesn’t look like he has a lot of open receivers. Just can’t really tell. We have nobody that can really stretch the field and it doesn’t help when we just constantly drop him in straight shotgun. Interesting that the TD came on misdirection. We don’t do much to help Petras out as far as keeping the defense guessing.

So just watching from TV it doesn’t look like he has a lot of open receivers. Just can’t really tell. We have nobody that can really stretch the field and it doesn’t help when we just constantly drop him in straight shotgun. Interesting that the TD came on misdirection. We don’t do much to help Petras out as far as keeping the defense guessing.

They ran a ton of i-formation today. PSU can pretty easily cover that personnel group. Seems like they opened up the playbook and brought in more WRs against Maryland. Probably hiding plays from Purdue.

They ran a ton of i-formation today. PSU can pretty easily cover that personnel group. Seems like they opened up the playbook and brought in more WRs against Maryland. Probably hiding plays from Purdue.
You’re kidding right? We’re playing the 4 team in the country and you think we were saving plays for a lower level team like Purdue?

Wisconsin's D is as good, if not better. Fortunately, their offense is garbagio.

They are our most-hated rival, after all.

XRv7_NEgqjbL1bdBX4jnrm9jOo5F8pCnSnIXwFv2VOJYnsq8OEH7-xSyKtBxmzMLDkRbJ30TjXheMup0fEp7-GYS7qZmF45smpSqyvg

Half time highlights during TAMU/Bama - they cover the iowa game, and when they show the great pass play to Ragaini, not described as a well designed play, or such, just said it was a blown coverage. No respect.
Well, it was a blown coverage, but they didn't explain why there was a blown coverage. They literally spent the entire game setting up that one play. The next time someone says "all they do is run it up the middle and are boring", the response is, "It's because they were setting up that play". I wish Brian would have gone to it sooner, everyone had to know it was coming sooner or later. But, it worked.

Keep in mind - Petras started 2/11 and finished 15/20. While he isn’tjojoj
What is that? The new math?

to start 2/11 and finish 15/20, i guess you mean he was 17/31 for the game? Typical Petras game... complete just over 50% of your passes, for marginal yards... but turn overs are rare... Iowa can get away with it for now due to their defense. If they want to be elite, QB play ( and O-line play) must improve. An average offense, one not ranked in the bottom ten in all of D1 would have converted some more points off of the turnovers... The run game improves if Petras can complete passes beyond 5 yards. With 8 in the box every play Goodson does not have much of a chance. Teams dare us to try and beat them through the air.

Reactions: artradley
What is that? The new math?

to start 2/11 and finish 15/20, i guess you mean he was 17/31 for the game? Typical Petras game... complete just over 50% of your passes, for marginal yards... but turn overs are rare... Iowa can get away with it for now due to their defense. If they want to be elite, QB play ( and O-line play) must improve. An average offense, one not ranked in the bottom ten in all of D1 would have converted some more points off of the turnovers... The run game improves if Petras can complete passes beyond 5 yards. With 8 in the box every play Goodson does not have much of a chance. Teams dare us to try and beat them through the air.

Did you actually see the game? Weren't the TD throws all deep balls. Keegan's second catch was on a deep ball.

Reactions: RothMatt
Look, He’s not great. Can’t really run, locks on receivers, etc. Again, I also think Brian doesn’t help him a lot. Not much play action, very little misdirection, etc. and our o line is not great. We basically have an entire team of slot receivers besides Johnson. Yet somehow we keep winning. I’m not going to complain. A win is a win.

This is how the other QBs have fared against the Pedos:

Graham Mertz22/371855.00214.1
Drew Plitt25/391764.50268.8
Bo Nix21/371855.00070.2
Daniel Smith20/342226.521--
Michael Penix Jr.10/221185.40134.6
Jack Tuttle6/12776.40146.5

The Pedos had allowed only two passing TDs coming into the game. Both of those were in garbage time against Villanova. So Brian's play calling and Spencer's passing doubled the TDs surrendered by the Pedo St. defense. I'd rather have Spencer's nervy performance in a close tense game than any of the above. So all those other OC and the QBs they play must really really suck.

Did you actually see the game? Weren't the TD throws all deep balls. Keegan's second catch was on a deep ball.
Did YOU watch the game? TD pass to Jones was 9 yards. That is even less than ten yards. The pass to Ragaini was 44 yards. That is ONE long pass for a TD. Was it huge? Yes it was. Keegan Johnson had a big pass play as well.
But that is two... Plot all of the other passes... The reason Iowa has trouble running the ball is because 8 guys are in the box because the passing game is not respected. How many passes were completed over 10 yards, and how many were attempted? Today Iowa completed two long passes late in the game because PSU was stacking the box etc. My point is still valid. We aren't burning teams for stacking the box on a consistent basis. Today it happened when it counted. Teams are not game planning with a fear or respect for Iowa's passing game. They game plan to stop Goodson and think the risk of Iowa beating them through the air is the safer choice. Nobody said, they wouldn't want Petras leading this team. also, comparing other QBs performances vs PSU would be valid only if Petras wasn't like he was today almost every game... Today's start was a bit rockier, due to the PSU defense. My comments aren't based solely on today, but a body of work.

Last edited:
The OC is not the problem with this offense. The QB is not the problem. The RB is not the problem. None of the receiving positions is the problem.

I know they lost their position coach but the OL is a problem, THE problem with this offense.
The tackles are particularly poor. I don't know the number now but going into the Northern Colorado game the line was allowing an average of 2.6 seconds to throw. That requires a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning like read and release. Probably went up the last two games but today a fast talented defense was able to just run past the tackles. The guards are not much better.

They are giving up far too many tackles for a loss in the running game and far too many hurries as the QB on field level sees the line breaking down before the TV audience, hits on the QB and sacks. Love to see how many seconds Petras averaged in a clean pocket today. I'm guessing the average was less than three seconds.

And yet Iowa still beat #4 and may awaken to be the new no 1 - although I'm sure 'Ol 'Bammy will end up winning.

Look, He’s not great. Can’t really run, locks on receivers, etc. Again, I also think Brian doesn’t help him a lot. Not much play action, very little misdirection, etc. and our o line is not great. We basically have an entire team of slot receivers besides Johnson. Yet somehow we keep winning. I’m not going to complain. A win is a win.

yes Petras is okay and better than alternatives, though I don't think Padilla has been given enough PT to make a decision whether the has potential or not. Petras really, really easy to bring down and slow. I think Goodson has made some mistakes on pass protection and two many free runners coming at Petras that he needs to recognize. I think he bails on pocket too soon and he doesn't step forward in pocket. I recall a sack where the Left tackle had actually blocked his guy okay, but Petras bailed pocket right into sack. As soon as Petras bails, it is a dead play...he lacks footspeed to get away so it is either a sack or throw away.

The bootleg looked to be open quite a bit but after Petras through an easy pass into Turf, BF quit calling htem.

The redzone was pretty pathetic-- 1st and goal from 7 and 1st and goal from 10...both those ended up being relatively long field goals instead of TDs.

Keegan should be playing more...that play he made was something none of the other guys can make. Ragaini and Jones are like you said, more slot recievers. I would say Tracey should be on bench the way he's played this season.

To Petras credit, he through a highly accurate throw to Ragaini across the field for the TD that won the game. That wide open throw is kind of thing Stanley would through into the stands occasionally.

That was a gritty performance. He got smacked in the teeth all game, started slow and there was no panic.

QBs are going to struggle at times against defenses that good. I was very encouraged that he just kept playing.
Exactly! It is this type of game with that type of performance that can really slow future games down for a player. SP performance today against a lesser D would have looked awesome.

Well, it was a blown coverage, but they didn't explain why there was a blown coverage. They literally spent the entire game setting up that one play. The next time someone says "all they do is run it up the middle and are boring", the response is, "It's because they were setting up that play". I wish Brian would have gone to it sooner, everyone had to know it was coming sooner or later. But, it worked.
Right. I i was not denying it was a blown coverage, but lots of long pass plays include some element of that, but rarely is THAT what is mentioned. And....the play design had something to do with the defensive lapse.

Petras and B. Ferentz have had their share of criticism, and a lot of it has been for good reason, but the only thing they had to prove to me was that BF could come up with a play to win a game in the 4th quarter, and that SP could lead that drive and execute that play. Mission accomplished.

Petras and B. Ferentz have had their share of criticism, and a lot of it has been for good reason, but the only thing they had to prove to me was that BF could come up with a play to win a game in the 4th quarter, and that SP could lead that drive and execute that play. Mission accomplished.

Almost looked like a KoK play of old. Not implying. All of those runs certainly opened up a PA play. Just super delayed gratification.

Keep in mind - Petras started 2/11 and finished 15/20. While he isn’t a world beater he and the offense made the adjustments needed
Correct but are people watching the game? During that 2-11 start he had 4 dropped passes and he was getting almost no time due to poor OL play. I’m continually confused why Petras takes all the blame when he is clearly a piece of the problem but by no means the only - or even main - issue.

I agree that Iowa set this play up, but I do t agree that everyone should have known it was coming. It was a great call that blind sided PSU.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT