ADVERTISEMENT

Bye, bye Booger Eater!

San Diego????

ab2926a4-d9ce-4bcb-abc1-04c2bb541db9_text.gif

Rumblings that he could add Paul Chryst to his staff, which would explain him turning Iowa down.

Yep, he has the chance to finally build a proven dynasty at his alma mater and then leaves? Michigan is a destination job and he's one of their own proudly.

Something is awry. I'm thinking he knows there is something coming down in the future.
NCAA is toothless. Take away his title? Who cares. Everyone knows he won it. It’s like USC and Reggie Bush. What he was getting then is chump change compared to NIL. He’s won the league 3 years in a row. Guys a helluva coach. And he’s already been to a Super Bowl somehow with Colin Kaepernick as his QB.

NCAA is toothless. Take away his title? Who cares. Everyone knows he won it. It’s like USC and Reggie Bush. What he was getting then is chump change compared to NIL. He’s won the league 3 years in a row. Guys a helluva coach. And he’s already been to a Super Bowl somehow with Colin Kaepernick as his QB.
I don't know what's down the line but I didn't think he'd leave Michigan. For him to do so indicates to me that something big will happen. I don't know what that is but if it's big enough for him to leave his dream job, that says a lot.

He is a great coach, never said he wasn't.

Also, nobody is worried about the NCAA. They're not the enforcer and haven't been for 40 years. It's what the B1G will do, or be forced to do. That's why there isn't any NCAA insignia ever displayed in college football but you probably didn't notice that. Apply that to college basketball where it's the NCAA tournament and that's the only place NCAA makes any money now. So no, I'm not speaking about NCAA infractions. Anybody still concerning themselves over what the NCAA does hasn't been paying attention. They have no authority over college football and haven't since '82 unless a team accepts their authority. It's the conferences that have all the power. They're the governing body and that power has only increased incrementally over the last 40 years.

Last edited:
I don't know what's down the line but I didn't think he'd leave Michigan. For him to do so indicates to me that something big will happen. I don't know what that is but if it's big enough for him to leave his dream job, that says a lot.

He is a great coach, never said he wasn't.

Also, nobody is worried about the NCAA. They're not the enforcer and haven't been for 40 years. It's what the B1G will do, or be forced to do. That's why there isn't any NCAA insignia ever displayed in college football but you probably didn't notice that. Apply that to college basketball where it's the NCAA tournament and that's the only place NCAA makes any money now. So no, I'm not speaking about NCAA infractions. Anybody still concerning themselves over what the NCAA does hasn't been paying attention. They have no authority over college football and haven't since '82 unless a team accepts their authority. It's the conferences that have all the power. They're the governing body and that power has only increased incrementally over the last 40 years.
If the NCAA has no authority over CFB, who was it that declared Shannon ineligible for the entire season?

Everyone thinking it's wild he'd leave his Alma Mater.

Consider he is hyper competitive and his older brother has a super bowl victory while he doesn't. I don't care what even the most hardened Michigan Homer could possibly say, accomplishments in the NFL are more prestigious than anything at Michigan.

Plus, I assume his competitive nature would also drive him to want to compete at the highest level.

I'm not saying something coming from the NCAA is a non factor, but before any scandal I always assumed he'd leave for the above reasons eventually.

If the NCAA has no authority over CFB, who was it that declared Shannon ineligible for the entire season?
A team has a choice of accepting that or not, and the consequences that it impacts. Schools like Iowa aren't going to challenge the status quo. The CONFERENCES will likely/probably enforce whatever the NCAA deems the punishment to be because they don't want to be observed as the ruling authority. It was the same thing with PSU during their scandal. It was the B1G that actually enforced their punishment because they have control of the team and the team is locked in to the conference, not the NCAA. Of course, people remember it as being a decision the NCAA handed down. If the B1G wanted to however, they could've disregarded it but face the criticism of not punishing one of their biggest brands. It's why the SEC is allowed to have higher scholarship numbers out and overrecruit. Nobody can stop them and the B1G could do the same if they wanted. It's about how far a conference is willing to go outside the perspective box of the rules that the NCAA dictates. Each time they do, people become more aware of the schism and become more aware of who is actually running college football so they tread lightly. If the teams in a conference wanted to up their scholarship limits within their conference, they can do so, as long as the conference approves it. NCAA can't do a damn thing.

I studied this during my sports journalism days at Iowa, it was enlightening for me. The conferences will do whatever it takes to continue making the NCAA the scapegoat so they escape the heat. That's why people get so frustrated with the NCAA, they don't actually have enforcing power over college football but the conferences want to make it look like they do so will empower that belief. Once that shroud is fully removed, the conferences will take the brunt from the fans that that authority warrants. Why deal with that if you can keep the charade up?

Another example is people being upset that conferences can expand in whatever capacity they want. People have stated being upset with the NCAA because they allowed it. There was no allowance though because the conferences have no governing authority outside of state or national legislation. They (conferences) are their own enterprises and make the rules.

In finality, conferences have full autonomy and aren't adherent to anyone. They are the judge, jury, and executioner to the teams they represent. Contracts with the teams are binding which is why what FSU is trying to do is so monumental. It would be the first time that a team has taken on a conference and won. That changes things going forward should they be successful.

Sorry for the rant and I know I'm all over the place but I really like this shit lol.

Last edited:
Belichick to Michigan? He found his franchise QB there. That kind of personality would just shine🤣

So what's you're saying it was the B1G who kept Shannon from playing this year and not the NCAA.
Fooled me...

Let's see how well he does being at a place where he doesn't have access to some of the best talent in the nation at every position.

Hope he makes a clown of himself in the NFL.

A team has a choice of accepting that or not, and the consequences that it impacts. Schools like Iowa aren't going to challenge the status quo. The CONFERENCES will likely/probably enforce whatever the NCAA deems the punishment to be because they don't want to be observed as the ruling authority. It was the same thing with PSU during their scandal. It was the B1G that actually enforced their punishment because they have control of the team and the team is locked in to the conference, not the NCAA. Of course, people remember it as being a decision the NCAA handed down. If the B1G wanted to however, they could've disregarded it but face the criticism of not punishing one of their biggest brands. It's why the SEC is allowed to have higher scholarship numbers out and overrecruit. Nobody can stop them and the B1G could do the same if they wanted. It's about how far a conference is willing to go outside the perspective box of the rules that the NCAA dictates. Each time they do, people become more aware of the schism and become more aware of who is actually running college football so they tread lightly. If the teams in a conference wanted to up their scholarship limits within their conference, they can do so, as long as the conference approves it. NCAA can't do a damn thing.

I studied this during my sports journalism days at Iowa, it was enlightening for me. The conferences will do whatever it takes to continue making the NCAA the scapegoat so they escape the heat. That's why people get so frustrated with the NCAA, they don't actually have enforcing power over college football but the conferences want to make it look like they do so will empower that belief. Once that shroud is fully removed, the conferences will take the brunt from the fans that that authority warrants. Why deal with that if you can keep the charade up?

Another example is people being upset that conferences can expand in whatever capacity they want. People have stated being upset with the NCAA because they allowed it. There was no allowance though because the conferences have no governing authority outside of state or national legislation. They (conferences) are their own enterprises and make the rules.

In finality, conferences have full autonomy and aren't adherent to anyone. They are the judge, jury, and executioner to the teams they represent. Contracts with the teams are binding which is why what FSU is trying to do is so monumental. It would be the first time that a team has taken on a conference and won. That changes things going forward should they be successful.

Sorry for the rant and I know I'm all over the place but I really like this shit lol.
Thanks for all of the info. So when they put a team on probation, cut the number of scholarships they can give and bans them from postseason play, it’s only because their conference allowed it? When SMU got the death penalty the SWC could have stopped that?

Sad part in all of this is that Michigan will name it's replacement head coach and new OC (if HC is Sharrone Moore) and whatever position coaches they lose before we name an OC that we've known is departing since......OCTOBER.

Let's see how well he does being at a place where he doesn't have access to some of the best talent in the nation at every position.

Hope he makes a clown of himself in the NFL.
Um, you realize that he used to coach in the NFL and has a Super Bowl on his resume, right? He immediately made the 49ers competitive after they had been dogshit for years. I'm not a fan of his, either, but give credit where it is due.

Thanks for all of the info. So when they put a team on probation, cut the number of scholarships they can give and bans them from postseason play, it’s only because their conference allowed it? When SMU got the death penalty the SWC could have stopped that?
SMU could've but it was a different time back then with less clear boundaries and stipulations. The conference will typically reinforce what the NCAA hands down. Still, SMU was also facing backlash from other teams if they didn't adhere. They were essentially being blacklisted regardless. In 85 or 86 when this happened (I can't remember exactly), NCAA still had more clout within college football as well so teams didn't know exactly how much they could challenge what was the supreme ruling force only a few years earlier. Also, the SWC and it's collective of teams was pissed at SMU for breaking the rules repeatedly and so blatantly. They were all doing it but SMU was egregious about it. There is no way SMU was getting out of that and they knew it so accepted.

This all changed when teams fought the NCAA over television rights in the early 80's. Before that, NCAA controlled the money which affected the teams directly rendering conferences as a subgroup that falls in line. That's not the case any longer. The conferences control the money, national image, and availability of teams if they choose and that makes them the enforcing agency for their respective teams. Conferences can go up to 200 scholarships per team if they wanted and that's where school presidents step in as well as the boards/ADs to see if it's cost efficient. That's what conferences are, a collective of the universities within the conference. They govern themselves and are only adherent to the NCAA if the other respective members of the conference will back up whatever the NCAA hands down. That's why nobody has, or will, ever see a conference under investigation by the NCAA. They can't, so why would the conferences care other than the image of it all?

Think of conferences like the NFL. The B1G is it's own NFL just like the SEC is. The NCAA exists in name only and is a recommendation agent. The B1G is the only entity that can legally force teams within the conference to comply while the NCAA can't actually, or legally, do anything. The NCAA requires the backing of the conference to actually enforce rules, not the other way around as people have been thinking for years.

In the near future, the NCAA will likely have no perceptive import within college football. It's no different than today other than the shroud is being removed is all. It will happen, it'll just be when conferences want it to be known more clearly. They like that people aren't fully aware of what's going on just like all corporations or politicians do. They take advantage of that and it makes everything a lot easier. When conferences begin only playing themselves and having their own playoffs and national championships, like the B1G and SEC are obviously planning to do, who's going to dictate anything to them? If the NCAA can't now, it won't get better in ten years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT