ADVERTISEMENT

Boone/Ike

Talked to Ike’s dad a few weeks back. Sounded like he had done some training in Chicago and IC. He’s healthy and from what I gathered had a good attitude about the process and has set himself up well if football doesn’t work out. Tim didn’t have much of an idea of what Boone’s status is.
Thanks I know these 2 log hundreds of hours for the program I hope they get a chance at next level if that's what they want

Thanks I know these 2 log hundreds of hours for the program I hope they get a chance at next level if that's what they want

Ike’s dad is something else. He basically said that if it doesn’t work Ike has a degree and options to fall back on. I saw him recently and he looks good and healthy. FWIW, his sister is part of Wartburg’s incredible women’s basketball team this year.

Ike’s dad is something else. He basically said that if it doesn’t work Ike has a degree and options to fall back on. I saw him recently and he looks good and healthy. FWIW, his sister is part of Wartburg’s incredible women’s basketball team this year.

I'm pretty sure Ike's dad is heavily involved at the church I used to go to when I lived in CF. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a solid plan outside of football.

Reactions: jellyfish10
IMHO the fact that Croston made the Patriots as an UDFA last year helped reinforce how much more prepared Iowa lineman are at the next level, even if they aren’t elite prospects. I believe Boone and Ike will be either 7th round picks or very sought after UDFA in this year’s draft.

IMHO the fact that Croston made the Patriots as an UDFA last year helped reinforce how much more prepared Iowa lineman are at the next level, even if they aren’t elite prospects. I believe Boone and Ike will be either 7th round picks or very sought after UDFA in this year’s draft.
I agree Boone can play anywhere which I think will help.
If they happen to make it to a roster or practice squad that would be awesome.
Just wait till next years prediction come out on theHawkeyes and it shows we lost 4 Oline men and 3 LBers and at least 4 of these will make it somewhere.

I'd be really surprised if both don't at the very least sign as UDFA and get good looks at the next level. Obviously the injuries are a big deal but they got it done at a high level at one of the best O-line programs in the nation.
That is definitely not a true statement. I'm diehard hawkeye, but to say those 2 were high level in the big 10 is preposterous

Reactions: Harbinger273
That is definitely not a true statement. I'm diehard hawkeye, but to say those 2 were high level in the big 10 is preposterous

You're a multi-year OL starter at Iowa and yes, sorry, that's high-level play. They were both starters on the OL that won the Moore award. Cole Croston earns his way to a roster spot with the Patriots, but it's preposterous to say Ike and Boone can't get it done at that level? You're clueless.

You're a multi-year OL starter at Iowa and yes, sorry, that's high-level play. They were both starters on the OL that won the Moore award. Cole Croston earns his way to a roster spot with the Patriots, but it's preposterous to say Ike and Boone can't get it done at that level? You're clueless.

The Moore award really needs an asterisk and really shouldn't be used to exemplify a high level of performance, statistically that line was not elite.

So anyone who starts on Iowa's oline is a high level player? Ok, that makes sense.

Reactions: HugeEddie
So anyone who starts on Iowa's oline is a high level player? Ok, that makes sense.
I have to agree with Gonzo here. Any player, like Boone and Ike, who have started the number of games that they have on our historically strong offensive line, I would consider high level players. Provided they are 100% healthy. Just my opinion.

Reactions: bojihawk44
I am usually a moderating voice here, but...are you out of your friggin' mind? OF COURSE anyone who starts on Iowa's O Line is a high level player! Unless your definition of a high level player is a perennial NFL All Pro singled out as one of the best in the world, headed for Canton - oh wait...the Hawkeye Line has its foot in there too. The Big Ten might be the top O-Line conference in America, and Iowa was OLU long before it was DBU. So yeah- to be at the head of the line, STARTING among all that O-Line talent and to see the field at Iowa is AWESOME. And these two guys? Did you see how tough it was for us to pull back up without them? Injury-free, they would have both been in pro camps - and still may. Or are the pro camps full of low level players too? Go home and see if you can still fit into your junior high letter sweater, Rodney-Henderson. Stop tarnishing the legacy of two high-level Hawks who paid the price.

Reactions: RogerKint
The Moore award really needs an asterisk and really shouldn't be used to exemplify a high level of performance, statistically that line was not elite.
Statistically majority of the guys on that line helped power the Hawks to a 12-0 season in '15. They did so, largely by paving the way for 4 different running backs! The following year, in '16, they year they REALLY got lauded ... the paved the way for two 1000 yard RBs!

Boone and Ike may not have been perfect ... there may have been a few issues here and there relating to pass-pro. But to suggest that they didn't play at a high level is not giving those guys their due. Are Boone and Ike "elite" on the level of James Daniels or a Brandon Scherff .... certainly not ... but they're guys who very well are likely to be on par with Croston and Tobin ... and those are two guys who are still earning NFL paychecks!

Statistically majority of the guys on that line helped power the Hawks to a 12-0 season in '15. They did so, largely by paving the way for 4 different running backs! The following year, in '16, they year they REALLY got lauded ... the paved the way for two 1000 yard RBs!

Boone and Ike may not have been perfect ... there may have been a few issues here and there relating to pass-pro. But to suggest that they didn't play at a high level is not giving those guys their due. Are Boone and Ike "elite" on the level of James Daniels or a Brandon Scherff .... certainly not ... but they're guys who very well are likely to be on par with Croston and Tobin ... and those are two guys who are still earning NFL paychecks!

They powered their way to bottom half of div 1 rushing attacks. Sometimes the results don't match the sum of the parts. Not a huge issue, not personal, it just discredits the Moore award some.

Reactions: Philly Hawk
They powered their way to bottom half of div 1 rushing attacks. Sometimes the results don't match the sum of the parts. Not a huge issue, not personal, it just discredits the Moore award some.
Not at all ... it simply indicates that you're not curating the data. Iowa's OL got juggled in the first part of the season that year ... in part because of Croston's injury. A few other guys got dinged early (at least a little) too - James Daniels specifically comes to mind there (he didn't play against NDSU). Consequently the Iowa OL did't really come together more effectively as a unit until later into the season.

Despite all the adversity and despite the fact that our passing game was so anemic (which further limited the number of snaps our O saw - thereby limiting the number of snaps that the running game received), the OL still powered our running game ... and that was IN SPITE such eggs laid against NDSU, Northwestern, and PSU. Of course, we didn't run well against Wisconsin either ... but few programs did.

Not at all ... it simply indicates that you're not curating the data. Iowa's OL got juggled in the first part of the season that year ... in part because of Croston's injury. A few other guys got dinged early (at least a little) too - James Daniels specifically comes to mind there (he didn't play against NDSU). Consequently the Iowa OL did't really come together more effectively as a unit until later into the season.

Despite all the adversity and despite the fact that our passing game was so anemic (which further limited the number of snaps our O saw - thereby limiting the number of snaps that the running game received), the OL still powered our running game ... and that was IN SPITE such eggs laid against NDSU, Northwestern, and PSU. Of course, we didn't run well against Wisconsin either ... but few programs did.

Because they are the only line in college football got dinged, there are plenty of rationalizations to go around, the reality it they didn't achieve at a very high level that year. It's okay, it happens. The award they received? Diminished to a feel good participation type of recognition, a 'you tried real hard' thing. It doesn't diminish them as people, their individual talents, they just didn't achieve at a high level. You forgot to throw the predictable audibles and running into a loaded box to defend the results. Can't miss those.

Because they are the only line in college football got dinged, there are plenty of rationalizations to go around, the reality it they didn't achieve at a very high level that year. It's okay, it happens. The award they received? Diminished to a feel good participation type of recognition, a 'you tried real hard' thing. It doesn't diminish them as people, their individual talents, they just didn't achieve at a high level. You forgot to throw the predictable audibles and running into a loaded box to defend the results. Can't miss those.
Honest question ... do you know how to actually grade out offensive line play?

Iowa only average 65 offensive plays per game in 2016, which ranked them 121st.. of those 65 plays Iowa only completed an average of 13 completions a game. Iowa did however run for an average of 183 yards a game.

That I do, spend more time watching that than the ball. It tells the story.
Good - I do too. If you grade them out in the run game, particularly in '16, it tells a different game than the stats. Mind you, they grade out a lot better against the run than the pass. However, the Michigan game was really a thing of beauty. Michigan's D had been a wrecking ball against most teams all year - and Iowa's OL not only really graded out well on run blocking - but their pass blocking was surprisingly good too.

In some senses, I agree with you that the group was a little "over-recognized" in '16 .... but the recognition wasn't for individual-level domination ... but rather who well they were capable of blocking together as a unit.

Boone in Indy mini this weekend. Remember 2015 people? 2 RS sophs starting at tackle and we went 12-0 . Magical year. AWESOME

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT