ADVERTISEMENT

I wish, for the sake of this board….

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
…we heard some of the back stories of these kids, turning pro so early like Hockenson or Lucas Van Ness…turning Pro 2 years early. I have a sneaking suspicion that our staff is so good at some positions they walk into a school talk to an individual, watch tape, talk to them about their workout regiment and say to themselves….holy **** this guy is a superstar immediately!!

For what it’s worth Im mostly glad they don’t. I am of the opinion our fans already get too much bullshit information but I think it would go a long way for realizing how strong the staff is despite their obvious weaknesses!

And we have some weaknesses that’s for sure!!

• Haha
Reactions: SheepHumpingHawkeye
I think Iowa does a darn good job of evaluating and offering kids that want to get better. It really doesn't matter a lot how good your are at 17 if you don't have that burning desire to improve.

Recruiting services certainly can't evaluate that with their star system for a thousand HS kids.

…we heard some of the back stories of these kids, turning pro so early like Hockenson or Lucas Van Ness…turning Pro 2 years early. I have a sneaking suspicion that our staff is so good at some positions they walk into a school talk to an individual, watch tape, talk to them about their workout regiment and say to themselves….holy **** this guy is a superstar immediately!!

For what it’s worth Im mostly glad they don’t. I am of the opinion our fans already get too much bullshit information but I think it would go a long way for realizing how strong the staff is despite their obvious weaknesses!

And we have some weaknesses that’s for sure!!
I would surmise it as a combination of our staff being adept at finding the hidden diamonds, and the recruiting "experts" having tunnel vision. Both can be "correct".

Then add in the intangible qualities, i.e., internal desire, chip on the shoulder, work ethic, and you have a whole ocean of "boy, did we miss on that kid...", which can go both ways. For every Blake Larsen there is a Josey Jewell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT