ADVERTISEMENT

Botched Handling of the Covid Year

just_somebody

HR All-American
Mar 1, 2006
I hate to bring this up, but it is just so dumb and absurd how they handled the 'free' covid year for athletes (I don't even bother to put the 'student' out front anymore).

Guys like Lugo, Joseph and Hall get almost a full season, but miss on out NCAAs, and then they give literally everyone else an automatic 5th year, and there are going to be lots of 5time AAs, and a bunch of 4 time AAs that devalues people who did it in 4 years instead of 5, and might even be a couple 5 time champs.

I understand there wasn't a good solution, and beyond wishing they would have just finished out NCAA championships (even without fans) I'll keep my covid policy thoughts to myself, as i want this gripe session to be just about how the NCAA handled eligibility.

But man, it really chaps my butt.

Ill see myself out now
14788111.jpg

Giving everyone a free year last year had basically nothing to do with how 2020 ended. As the school year began that fall, there was still so much indecision and the unknown when it came to sports, how the seasons would go, would their be postseasons, personal comfort, all the testing, etc. And it was choppy at best—many teams shut down for a time, the CFB bowl season was a mess, etc. It made total sense to remove any risk of burning eligibility that season. Totally, 100% support that as the correct, athlete and fan friendly move. Devaluing? Eh…maybe…but such a small, irrelevant consequence to doing the right thing.

And say what you will about the 2020 NCAAs but with what all the other sports (including the NBA) were doing there was absolutely zero chance there was going to be a tournament. But the seniors thing…man, that does still hurt.

Giving everyone a free year last year had basically nothing to do with how 2020 ended. As the school year began that fall, there was still so much indecision and the unknown when it came to sports, how the seasons would go, would their be postseasons, personal comfort, all the testing, etc. And it was choppy at best—many teams shut down for a time, the CFB bowl season was a mess, etc. It made total sense to remove any risk of burning eligibility that season. Totally, 100% support that as the correct, athlete and fan friendly move. Devaluing? Eh…maybe…but such a small, irrelevant consequence to doing the right thing.

And say what you will about the 2020 NCAAs but with what all the other sports (including the NBA) were doing there was absolutely zero chance there was going to be a tournament. But the seniors thing…man, that does still hurt.
This is hindsight spooner.. we get to second guess! And what to do with the graduation seniors was tricky (i mean it wasn't- as one of my coaches used to preach: 'dont panic now, there will be plenty of time for that later' - everybody should have just kept going on, but i understand that wasn't going to happen).

But they still botched it at the start of the next season - even within the same general framework, they could have said you will retain your eligibility if
a) you are uncomfortable competing at all, and simply choose not to
b) you or your team have competitions cancelled due to covid and you withdraw before national championships
c) that championships in your sport are cancelled.

That does everything this did, except give people 5 years of competing at nationals. Completely fair and equitable, and not a bit less 'safe'!

This is hindsight spooner.. we get to second guess! And what to do with the graduation seniors was tricky (i mean it wasn't- as one of my coaches used to preach: 'dont panic now, there will be plenty of time for that later' - everybody should have just kept going on, but i understand that wasn't going to happen).

But they still botched it at the start of the next season - even within the same general framework, they could have said you will retain your eligibility if
a) you are uncomfortable competing at all, and simply choose not to
b) you or your team have competitions cancelled due to covid and you withdraw before national championships
c) that championships in your sport are cancelled.

That does everything this did, except give people 5 years of competing at nationals. Completely fair and equitable, and not a bit less 'safe'!

Not sure about that one. There were so many schools and athletes that were only able to play a partial season. Not very equitable for them. Still the best move to take any decision making, gaming or guessing out of it. It didn’t harm anyone.

Not sure about that one. There were so many schools and athletes that were only able to play a partial season. Not very equitable for them. Still the best move to take any decision making, gaming or guessing out of it. It didn’t harm anyone.
What wouldn't be equitable? They still get guaranteed the standard 4 years of eligibility

What wouldn't be equitable? They still get guaranteed the standard 4 years of eligibility

Like I said, the season was choppy at best. Lots of missed games in NCAA sports. And going into it, there was genuine concern it would be worse. So they chose to make it straightforward and simple for all.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
The "covid year" was driven by money. Television was concerned with loss of revenue when NCAA football stars began electing not to compete in the fall of 2020. They saw the trend continuing with basketball if they didn't step in and do something. Athletes didn't want to lose a year like the year before. It was understandable. They gave everyone a free year to mitigate that risk. It actually benefitted sports like wrestling because we will get to Spencer another year, and got to see several "covid seniors" this season who were enjoyable to watch. Unfortunately it didn't help the seniors who were actually affected by covid in the spring of 2020.

Compared to the loss of human life and the huge disruption to all other parts of our lives I think that COVIDs effect on NCAA wrestling is pretty immaterial. I think the seniors of 2020 got screwed over and I think we probably lost a team title but the team survived and the sport survived and I have was entertained during the 2021 and 2022 seasons. A few guys got perhaps an extra All American title but I don't think anyone will be a five time champ. Overall I'm ok with how the NCAA handled things given the circumstances.

NCAA blew it and it’s looking like it’s becoming a habit of theirs. BTW I liked the OP’s Man Yelling at Cloud…I guess this morning I want to yell at a cloud also. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: just_somebody
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT