ADVERTISEMENT

125 Predictions

sdvike

HR MVP
Feb 23, 2016
This weight has been the most uncertain and unpredictable all year. Any of about 15 in the tournament could end up champ or not place. Really hard to look at and predict even with my black and gold sunglasses but going to take a stab at it.
Top half of bracket: Barring a ref bailout, I dont see Davis getting through to the finals. McKee may take him out or Volk will surely be a tough out. I think Ramos will finally get on a roll and find his way to the finals for the second year in a row.

Bottom half of bracket: Ayala will look for bonus in first round and should (should being the key word) easily win the second round. Ugly Spratley should make the quarters. They had a tight match at Okie St but the ref at NCAA should be a little tougher on the run to the edge thing till 30 seconds left and I doubt the ref will limit the boxing match stuff. At any rate, Sprat was doing a lot of barking after his loss and am thinking he was telling Ayala how he would beat him when they meet again so Ayala gets the benefit of a chip on his shoulder in this one. I got Ayala winnin over ugly Sprat 7-3. Any one of Deaug, Bartlett or Cammacho could surprise and come out of the bottom of the bottom bracket. Stanich only has 3 losses but I think one of them was ugly Spratley. He is 2nd seed for winning whatever conference tournament he was in but probably just good enough to take out Deaug in the quarters.

Ayala wins a close one against Stanich but loses a close one to Ramos in the finals.

I have Ayala winning. Fantastic opportunity. He can beat anybody in this bracket.
I have a good feeling about Drake as well. The Drake from the backside of B10s wins this weight. I don't know what is ailing Woods, but if he improves healthwise even marginally in the 11 days off he can beat anyone and can make the finals as well. Same with Franek, the only guy he can't beat in my opinion is Levi. If he wrestles like he did at B10s I would not be surprised at all to see him make the finals as well as I love his draw (Blaze actually worries me slightly as he is way better than a 23 seed imo).

Really depends on what Drake we get. If he is wrestling like he did on the backside of B1G I see him being a finalist, but if he’s wrestling like he did against DeAug or Spratley I can see him going down in round 2 or quarters to a last second takedown.
The only two that he should play it tight and hold back a little is Ramos and McKee. But like you say, if he plays around or the ref lets a Deaug or Spratley stall around defensively, he may be in trouble early.

Drake gets in so deep on those single legs but sometimes he just stops for some reason. Hope he is working on finishing quick, standing up with the leg and shelving it. He is better there than in those scrambles.

Drake and a dozen other guys could all win it or not even make the podium. Aggressive Drake makes a deep run, timid, wait till late in the 3rd to shoot Drake gets bounced. Dam I hope he keeps the streak going.

Ayala’s first round match up is no joke. Hope is ready to go.
I think he beat him soundly in that first meet of the year with CBU. Griffin was the guy who acted out at Carver after beating the 3rd stringer the year before but Drake either majored or teched this year. Griffin really ran out of gas in the 2nd bad but maybe is in better shape now.

I think he beat him soundly in that first meet of the year with CBU. Griffin was the guy who acted out at Carver after beating the 3rd stringer the year before but Drake either majored or teched this year. Griffin really ran out of gas in the 2nd bad but maybe is in better shape now.
Drake beat him 18-8.

Reactions: sdvike
Drake beat him 18-8.
First round can be a tough out if he comes prepared — he is a gamer.

2nd round is tough — took Spratley to the edge and then was destroying Iowa State until he decided to pin him.

Don’t get me wrong, a game Ayala is my pick to click but he better be ready to wrestle

Reactions: sdvike
Drake gets in so deep on those single legs but sometimes he just stops for some reason. Hope he is working on finishing quick, standing up with the leg and shelving it. He is better there than in those scrambles.
And if he does that, hopefully he protects his leg from a dive roll. We have too many guys that seem like a deer in the headlights and don't anticipate that, ending in yet another stalemate instead of takedown.

I cannot remember a weight class ever being so even from number one to number 12. Obviously I like Drake’s chances but as it’s been said he has to open up and score early, To do that he will need to finish his shots and I am sure they’ve been working on that.
More than 12. There are close to 20 legitimate contenders in 125 this year. Stevo Poulin is the 20 seed, and I wouldn't write him off.

IMO, Ayala has the highest likelihood of any individual to win this year, but his chances are probably 15% or less and you might as well draw names from a hat in this class this year. You have first round matchups like DeAug-Smith, Peterson-Ungar, and Poulin-Surtin where you have legit AA if not title contenders going at it right off the opening whistle. I've never seen anything like it.

This is the weight class that you can take any guy 1-20 with almost equal confidence/non-confidence. It is wide open. My thought is this is where the young guys wrestling with nothing to lose are particularly dangerous. The 6th year seniors that are pushing to win it all in the last chance often wrestle tight and upset. The guys with nothing to lose and everything to gain gunslinger attitude are particularly dangerous. Chenzo/Imar, Jinkins/Taylor, Ramos/Spencer, Nickle/Dean, Gwiaz/Nelson 2014 are a few examples. Guys just letting it fly.

I see Drake as one that is as good as any when he wants to let it fly.

I can't ever remember a weight like this where tier one is almost everyone who qualified. 157 might be the deepest weight, and 165 the weight with the biggest cluster of hammers at the top, but 125 will be the most fun to watch for me.

I have a feeling Camacho is going to turn things on, and I picked him to make the semis. I like Drake to win that match. I have Noto (shouldn't be the 12 seed) making the finals from the top half.

1. Drake
2. Noto
3. Ramos
4. Davis
5. Camacho
6. Stanich
7. McKee
8. Volk

I have Ayala over Ramos. Wildcard to me is Volk don’t know why just a gut feeling. Ayala’s avoids most of what would be land mines for him. I really like his chances. Woods and yes PK could make a serious run as well. PK depends on health of Griffith and Starcrap but he almost beat Griffith when he was 100%.

Reactions: Grip220 and sdvike
I have Ayala over Ramos. Wildcard to me is Volk don’t know why just a gut feeling. Ayala’s avoids most of what would be land mines for him. I really like his chances. Woods and yes PK could make a serious run as well. PK depends on health of Griffith and Starcrap but he almost beat Griffith when he was 100%.
I can defintely see Volk beating Davis if they meet on top half. He looks good. Wyoming is a team with a lot of fight in their wrestlers. Of course, this could only happen if the ref doesnt bail out Davis somewhere within the match.

Reactions: Grip220
Ramos
Stanich
Figs
Noto
Davis
Volk
Camacho
Spratley

Ayala loses to Camacho and pulls a Spencer and forfeits out the rest of the tournament.

I can defintely see Volk beating Davis if they meet on top half. He looks good. Wyoming is a team with a lot of fight in their wrestlers. Of course, this could only happen if the ref doesnt bail out Davis somewhere within the match.

200w.gif

I have done my honest thoughts on all the brackets and first off we are Not getting 8th or 9th. Most of the brackets are pretty easy to figure out with the exception of 125 and 165. 133 backside is a nightmare for Teske and Nageo. I did 5 different brackets for 125 and got a lot of different results the one constant I do have is Ayala and Ramos in the finals.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I have done my honest thoughts on all the brackets and first off we are Not getting 8th or 9th. Most of the brackets are pretty easy to figure out with the exception of 125 and 165. 133 backside is a nightmare for Teske and Nageo. I did 5 different brackets for 125 and got a lot of different results the one constant I do have is Ayala and Ramos in the finals.
Not only is 125 the hardest to predict this year, it's the hardest to predict that I can remember in a LONG time.

I think Camacho is the dangerous one in the bottom half. My heart says Davis, but, my gut says Ramos over Ayala. However, like has been said by many, There are 12+ guys that wouldn't shock me if they won the whole thing. I'm not saying some wouldn't be a surprise, but, they wouldn't be a shock like in the other weights. I agree on Teske & Nagao. Nagao needs to get past Bailey on the front side or he's in for a nightmare just to place.

Not only is 125 the hardest to predict this year, it's the hardest to predict that I can remember in a LONG time.

I think Camacho is the dangerous one in the bottom half. My heart says Davis, but, my gut says Ramos over Ayala. However, like has been said by many, There are 12+ guys that wouldn't shock me if they won the whole thing. I'm not saying some wouldn't be a surprise, but, they wouldn't be a shock like in the other weights. I agree on Teske & Nagao. Nagao needs to get past Bailey on the front side or he's in for a nightmare just to place.
If Nagao doesn't beat Nasir, that puts him on course to meet the Ragusin/Shawver loser in the blood round (and he's 0-3 against them this year).

Reactions: PSUWrestling2425
Good bounce all the psu guys as early as possible. If only, nagao pry makes a run, bonus’s his ass off doing so.
Nagao is, without question, the PSU guy I'm most concerned about not getting on the podium. Davis is a concern as well, as that weight is bonkers!

Nagao is, without question, the PSU guy I'm most concerned about not getting on the podium. Davis is a concern as well, as that weight is bonkers!
The Nasir match is the key for him (and that one promises to be a barnburner). The winner has Crookham in the Qs, but Latona in the blood round instead of Ragusin, which is a much more winnable match. There is a giant back side land mine next, though, in the form of either the Orine-Vito QF loser or the Fix-Bouzakis R2 loser, so best case for Nagao is the 7-8 match. He has a really tough draw.

More than 12. There are close to 20 legitimate contenders in 125 this year. Stevo Poulin is the 20 seed, and I wouldn't write him off.

IMO, Ayala has the highest likelihood of any individual to win this year, but his chances are probably 15% or less and you might as well draw names from a hat in this class this year. You have first round matchups like DeAug-Smith, Peterson-Ungar, and Poulin-Surtin where you have legit AA if not title contenders going at it right off the opening whistle. I've never seen anything like it.
I cannot disagree , Poulin is absolutely legit and one of the guys I had my eyes on last year. I stopped at 12 because I think Noto has a very legitimate shot at a run to the finals. Ayala can win it this year if he on his game, but he has his hands full every match. Im not certain but the top side maybe a tougher road for Davis, both will absolutly earn their way to Sat!

I cannot disagree , Poulin is absolutely legit and one of the guys I had my eyes on last year. I stopped at 12 because I think Noto has a very legitimate shot at a run to the finals. Ayala can win it this year if he on his game, but he has his hands full every match. Im not certain but the top side maybe a tougher road for Davis, both will absolutly earn their way to Sat!

If given the option, I'd rather have Davis and Ayala swap spots, but, it's tough no matter where you land.

Reactions: Grip220
If given the option, I'd rather have Davis and Ayala swap spots, but, it's tough no matter where you land.
Yeah, the bottom half, and Ayala specifically, is a little easier than the top half, mostly because I think Stanich is grossly overseeded and Nico Provo is about as easy of an R2 draw as there is in this mess, but there are no easy draws in 125 for anyone this year. Ayala is looking at Provo then Spratley (or possibly Cooper Flynn), so even if that is the "easiest" draw of the top guys, it's definitely not easy.

The R2 guys in Stanich's quarter are Barnett, Camacho, Smith/DeAug, and Stanich. I understand the seeding and the criteria behind it, but just on human judgment, I'd rate Stanich (the highest seed) as the least likely of those 5 guys to emerge from that quarter (which faces Ayala in the semis). Ramos's quarter is just as bad with Ramos, Volk, Noto, Poulin, and Surtin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT