ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl games for Tuesday, December 26...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002

Quick Lane Bowl: Bowling Green vs. Minnesota, Dec. 26, 2 p.m., ESPN

Yes, we know what we just said about this sport’s ability to produce unexpected results in these uncertain bowl settings. But in all likelihood this game is going to be a tough watch. The Falcons lost this same bowl a year ago to New Mexico State, and the Minnesota comes in following a winless November. The Golden Gophers, like the rest of the Big Ten West, struggled to put points on the board even in the games they managed to win. With QB Athan Kaliakmanis now in the portal, long-time backup Cole Kramer will get the start. Falcons QB Connor Bazelak will be around, but he can be pick prone.

First Responder Bowl: Rice vs. Texas State, Dec. 26, 5:30 p.m., ESPN

The ‘happy-to-be-here’ factor will be more evident in this contest. For the Bobcats, the last of 12 Sun Belt squads to take the field in this postseason, it’s the first bowl appearance in program history. The Owls went bowling last year as a 5-7 team but this berth undoubtedly feels more earned within the program. As an added bonus, they are the only one of the three American Athletic teams with owl mascots to make a bowl. Isn’t that a hoot? Sorry, couldn’t resist. Texas State puts up a solid 36 points a game, with QB T.J. Finley and RB Ismail Mahdi leading the way. The Rice attack is under the direction of QB A.J. Padgett, who took over when starter J.T. Daniels was sidelined by concussions and led the Owls to victory in the bowl-clinching win against Florida Atlantic in the regular-season finale.

Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Kansas vs. UNLV, Dec. 26, 9 p.m., ESPN

This should be good. These are two schools better known for their achievements in an indoor sport, but both seem to have found the right coach to make them relevant on the gridiron. Barry Odom needed just one year to get the Rebels into the Mountain West title game. Never mind that UNLV comes in on a two-game skid. The chance to reach 10 victories for the first time since 1984 will have the team fully engaged. Lance Leipold, a winner at all of his coaching stops, has been making steady progress in Lawrence. The Jayhawks had up and down moments this year, but their takedown of Oklahoma was the unquestioned highlight. UNLV QB Jayden Maiava has been solid at the controls, but the star of the Rebels’ offense is WR Ricky White, who averages over 17 yards on his 81 catches amassing 1,386 yards. QB Jason Bean has handled most of the snaps for KU this season with Jalon Daniels sidelined for much of the campaign with back issues. Daniels will be back in 2024, but meanwhile Bean and the Jayhawks will continue to rely on standout RB Devin Neal to keep the sticks moving.

Reactions: h-hawk
yuge bowling green fan today
homer simpson middle finger GIF

Drag Race Flirting GIF by TAZO

yuge bowling green fan today
i actually used to find pj and his quirkiness interesting and even thought he was fine particularly after he did us a solid a couple years ago by beating wi.
if he had acknowledged getting freakishly lucky against us this year instead of pretending like "the call" was so obviously correct to everybody and their grandma, i would continue to have no issues with him. but yeah, after that travesty, he deserves a kick in the balls whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Texas St is like 20 or 25 miles from my house. once I watched UNI beat them here in San Marcos TX in a playoff game. I was hanging with the musco lighting guys. cool story bro. this is the first ever bowl for them. that's kinda cool. it used to be southwest texas state , and I still slip up and call them SWT. Rice is like a bunch of rich dudes, like Northwestern. Very nice campus. I once went to Rice in Houston to watch Iowa men's tennis play them. double cool story bro.

Texas St is like 20 or 25 miles from my house. once I watched UNI beat them here in San Marcos TX in a playoff game. I was hanging with the musco lighting guys. cool story bro. this is the first ever bowl for them. that's kinda cool. it used to be southwest texas state , and I still slip up and call them SWT. Rice is like a bunch of rich dudes, like Northwestern. Very nice campus. I once went to Rice in Houston to watch Iowa men's tennis play them. double cool story bro.
LIttle known fact: Rice hosted a Super Bowl in the early years of that competition. Without checking, I don't remember one opponent, but pretty sure the Vikes were the other. Something like Super Bowl IV.

Hard to imagine the university with the lowest D1 student population once had an on campus stadium bigger than 80,000 seats.

Reactions: NoleinATL
LIttle known fact: Rice hosted a Super Bowl in the early years of that competition. Without checking, I don't remember one opponent, but pretty sure the Vikes were the other. Something like Super Bowl IV.

Hard to imagine the university with the lowest D1 student population once had an on campus stadium bigger than 80,000 seats.

It was the Miami Dolphins.

Reactions: seminoleed
Stellar effort by the Gophers. This is what happens when you face some tough going, but a group of men believe in each other, grab those oars, and pull in unison.

That turned into a good game. Minnesota has now won 7 bowl games in a row. Congratulations to the Gophers.

"My Cousin Vinny" is one channel over so I am off to that!

I graduated from Texas State (first class as they switched from SWT fall of 2003 when I was a freshman). Kind of cool to finally see them in their first bowl game. They made it to the I-AA Semifinals in 2005 when I was in school, but have done a lot of nothing over the last 20 years. Hope they beat Rice today.

Reactions: NoleinATL
I graduated from Texas State (first class as they switched from SWT fall of 2003 when I was a freshman). Kind of cool to finally see them in their first bowl game. They made it to the I-AA Semifinals in 2005 when I was in school, but have done a lot of nothing over the last 20 years. Hope they beat Rice today.
You seem like a good chap, so I too will wish for a Texas State victory!!**

** by 3 points or less

BIG West..2-0
That frosh rb Taylor looks very good for gophers next year. They have a hotshot transfer QB out of New Hampshire coming in... Hawks go up their next year in Sept...possibly challenging.

that's probably the year I went to that Northern Iowa game. I'm thinking it was semi finals, and UNI went on to the fianls and lost. BTW I think Rice Stadium used to be home for the Bluebonnet bowl as well.

that's probably the year I went to that Northern Iowa game. I'm thinking it was semi finals, and UNI went on to the fianls and lost. BTW I think Rice Stadium used to be home for the Bluebonnet bowl as well.

Not sure about that. I know the first few games were played at Rice, but I seem to remember the later games were played in the Astrodome. But don't quote me on that.

Not sure about that. I know the first few games were played at Rice, but I seem to remember the later games were played in the Astrodome. But don't quote me on that.
wikipedia said it was way back in the 60's before the astrodome was built so yeah, probably moved to astrodome at some point

Yep, you are right. David Bailiff went conservative and kneeled to go to OT with 3 timeouts remaining. Texas State proceeds to turn the ball over on the first OT possession and loses to UNI. Was coaching malpractice. Still a fun season though.

Female sports broadcasters almost exclusively have deep voices. Not the sideline reporters, but the play-by-play or color commentators. There's a bias for having "THE VOICE" for announcing (meaning your voice needs to be booming and should carry).

So basically, hiring someone like Beth just perpetuates the sex discrimination in the profession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT