ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl games for Wednesday, December 27....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
As the bowl season draws closer to the New Year’s Day main event, we begin to see more teams with numbers before their names participating.

The four-game Wednesday lineup features three ranked teams taking the field, hoping to protect their spot in the US LBM Coaches Poll and take a Top 25 finish into the offseason. That might be easier said than done in some cases as teams deal with coaching transitions, transfers, player opt-outs or a combination of all of the above, and their challengers will be equally motivated to close the campaign with a win against a ranked squad.

Here's today’s schedule, in which the ACC and Big 12 figure prominently.

Military Bowl: No. 24 Tulane vs. Virginia Tech, 2 p.m., ESPN

After coming up short in its bid to repeat as American Athletic champs, the Green Wave come to Annapolis without many of the people responsible for their run of success over the last two years, both on the field and on the sidelines. The Hokies, meanwhile, overcame a 1-3 start to make it back to the bowl lineup and look to continue their momentum. They’ll likely have much of the crowd in a neighboring state on their side as well. Tulane will be led by interim coach Slade Nagle with Willie Fritz off to Houston and Jon Sumrall on his way. QB Michael Pratt will not participate as he prepares for the draft, but backup Kai Horton is still around despite entering his name in the portal. Even so the passing game will lack its usual pop, so RB Makhi Hughes figures to be busy. The Virginia Tech offense isn’t flashy but will rely on QB Kyron Drones and RB Bhayshul Tuten to protect the ball and control the clock.

Duke’s Mayo Bowl: North Carolina vs. West Virginia, 5:30 pm., ESPN

These representatives from the ACC and Big 12 would seem to be in different places as they arrive in Charlotte despite sporting identical 8-4 records. The Mountaineers having surprising success considerably cooled the seat of coach Neal Brown, while the Tar Heels stumbled late after starting 6-0 with ACC title aspirations, putting their fans in a much less charitable mood. West Virginia’s strong running game, featuring RBs C.J. Donaldson and Jahiem White with QB Garrett Greene also contributing, appears better constructed to take advantage of this game’s fluctuating personnel. Tar Heels QB Drake Maye is off to the NFL along with WR Tez Walker. The UNC offense will be in the hands of Conner Harrell, who has attempted just six passes on the season.

Holiday Bowl: No. 15 Louisville vs. Southern California, 8 p.m., Fox

There’s entertainment potential here, though this is another game that is perhaps more notable for who won’t be there then for who will. The Cardinals enjoyed a breakout season despite coming up short in the ACC championship game. The Trojans are viewed far less favorably by their followers after the team fell far short of living up to its lofty preseason ranking. Heisman emeritus QB Caleb Williams is an expected opt-out along with USC teammate WR Brenden Rice, so the Trojans will hand the keys to QB Miller Moss, who appeared in four contests this year largely in mop-up duty but completed 23 of 32 passes with a TD and no picks. Louisville RB Jawhar Jordan will also skip the game, so Isaac Guerendo and Maurice Turner will likely take most of the handoffs from Cardinals QB Jack Plummer.

Texas Bowl: No. 21 Oklahoma State vs. Texas A&M, 9 p.m., ESPN

These teams met often as Big 12 opponents, and they also faced off in this same bowl in 2019. But there won’t be much familiarity in this encounter, especially with the Aggies in the midst of a staff and roster overhaul. Elijah Robinson will coach Texas A&M in the bowl game before Mike Elko takes over full time, and the QB reins will be handled by Jaylen Henderson. He has a few starts under his belt but will be without many of the team’s top weapons, including WR Ainias Smith, but the Cowboys’ pass defense might still be exploitable. The Oklahoma State program has considerably more stability, despite the Big 12 world changing all around it. QB Alan Bowman can be mistake prone when forced to take chances, but he’ll still have help from standout RB Ollie Gordon, who flirted with the transfer portal but decided to remain in Stillwater.

Last edited:
I normally watch as many of the bowl games as possible. This year, I haven't watched any other than seeing a little bit of some random game that was on tv at the brewhouse last week. I'll watch our game with one eye closed (maybe both), but that's probably the only one I'll watch this entire season.

I am slowly warming to the task this year watching Minny and KU yesterday. KU was a wild fun game full of long bomb passes we never see at Iowa.
Hoping RU can upset Miami tomorrow.

decent lineup, this week is close to March madness. Everyday I get my stuff done early and then watch football for 8 hours 😎

I feel like today is when the bowls “turn the corner”. Some really good matchups and just about everything after this features two P5 teams.

Reactions: QChawks
I have fond memories of USC in the Holiday Bowl. 😁

I think only the 2004 Outback Bowl, 2005 Cap One (Citrus) Bowl, and the 2010 Orange Bowl are the only ones to beat it on the satisfaction scale, with the 1995 Sun Bowl right behind it.

Reactions: Igor Stravinsky10
Oklahoma State would have been my 4th favorite team, but now that Jimbo's gone, I guess my 4th favorite team will be the team playing against Dabo. I never cared much about Dabo one way or another until the last 2 or 3 years. Now he grates on my nerves.

Reactions: funksouljon
Oklahoma State would have been my 4th favorite team, but now that Jimbo's gone, I guess my 4th favorite team will be the team playing against Dabo. I never cared much about Dabo one way or another until the last 2 or 3 years. Now he grates on my nerves.

From what I saw, early on, no real issues.. Loved the origin story about almost quitting coaching. middle timeframe he was seeming more and more "yeah, prolly a dick", but he has really come off since they are struggling as an ass. But I did like it when he blasted the fan on the radio show a couple weeks ago. Completely unprofessional, but it was still funny. Not enough to win me back. And the faith being laced into everything, it's such a false flag for me.

And I still say, "Im a man, Im 40!" esp when she tells me to do something I don't want to do <as I do it>. So I tend to cheer for OKState.

I have fond memories of USC in the Holiday Bowl. 😁

I think only the 2004 Outback Bowl, 2005 Cap One (Citrus) Bowl, and the 2010 Orange Bowl are the only ones to beat it on the satisfaction scale, with the 1995 Sun Bowl right behind it.
This is a great list. No idea how old you are, but for an old geezer like me, I would add the 1984 Freedom Bowl to it. Chuck Long and our Hawks destroyed Texas in a heavy rain.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
WV QB is a quick little MFer, but they have some serious butterfingers. Need to clean that up to keep my parlay alive.

This is a great list. No idea how old you are, but for an old geezer like me, I would add the 1984 Freedom Bowl to it. Chuck Long and our Hawks destroyed Texas in a heavy rain.
I was only a toddler then, but watched that one on YouTube a few times. My dad would definitely add the 1959 Rose Bowl and the 1982 Peach Bowl to the list. I still remember all the buttons and hats he bought for that Peach Bowl. Hayden proved that the season before was no fluke.

Reactions: Igor Stravinsky10
USC ripping it up vs Brohms Louisville...finlnle by me.
USC QB Miller Moss looks strong with three straight tds.
Riley can make QBs play well, clearly.

Announcer is a dork for the M&M lyrics, but the USC QB torching Louisville for 6 TDs so far with a QB getting his first start. Compare that to FSU's QBs first start..... guess there is a TON of growth between fresh and SO years........

Awkward Lucille Ball GIF

You still hate them because they are right up there with UF as a fanbase full of arrogance. Trust me I live in a town full of the delusional clowns.
All very true, but it's a shame that in the last month or so that's the same perception of FSU.

Reactions: Bobcat07
we need a new thread @The Tradition

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT