gprsox

Rookie
May 4, 2017
I'd like to hear others on this forum's opinion on this. Is it based on:

Potential

Record

No One Better

Something Else

I'm a big hawk fan but not a big kool-aid drinker. More results/potential kind of guy. Just wondering about the reason for this at this time?

Reactions: artradley

Potential

Record

No One Better

Something Else

I'm a big hawk fan but not a big kool-aid drinker. More results/potential kind of guy. Just wondering about the reason for this at this time?

I think it's a combination of the 3. He's won 3 national titles, has put a competitive team on the mat every year he's here, and has a great recruiting class just now getting on campus along with a surge in fundraising, etc.

Despite all of that, he hasn't produced what is expected here and we will be terrible (for our standards) this year. There's just no one else out there we can hire right now whose proven to do as good of a job.

No one else. Just wondering. Has Carl's success lowered the standards of acceptance - not expectations - in IC? They just rewarded our coach with an extension & I'm asking why is all.

No one else. Just wondering. Has Carl's success lowered the standards of acceptance - not expectations - in IC? They just rewarded our coach with an extension & I'm asking why is all.

I think if you are tuned in and looking at the situation, three years is perfect. If there are no improvements or contention in 2019, or 2020, then Tom is going to have issues with the fan base because the issues are two fold:

No team championships and lack of individual titles. Last time we had at least two was 2010. As to who else...there isn’t until there is. Nobody is immune.

TnT have us consistently in the top 5. It's not like Tom wasn't trying to win a championship every year. You can make the argument he wasn't trying hard enough but he was still trying. There is nobody better that would come to Iowa.

I am about as big a fan of Tom Brands as you can get but he would say he is not meeting his own standard. We talk a lot shit on here about PSU but like Tarp said, not once have we lost a title solely because of them. To be honest, I think Tom had a say in the extension and for how long specifically with the guys he has right now. Plus, ten years without a title in 2020 would be long enough IMO. Let me add that I have every confidence we will be in there in 19 and win it in 20.

Tom Brands is a class act and you will have a hard time finding a better person, let alone a college wrestling coach.

We will have a dip in production this year but it's not going to be as bad as everyone seems to think.

There is nobody in the country I would rather have as the head coach for the university of Iowa.

Potential

Record

No One Better

Something Else

It's based on him being a the top of the coaching ranks along with a select few others. The top four or five coaches would all be successful no matter where they go and TBH they are all in the right spots - "stylistically" I think they fit their programs perfectly. I know, probably just that the programs are molded in their style, but it's hard to see any of Cael, Brands, Smith or Ryan going elsewhere at this point. Should be their last jobs like JRob.

Seriously, if they didn't have Brands who would you get??? You are looking best case at it being a gamble to be as good as Brands, very best case. You don't not extend guys like this.

Tom Brands has done many great things in Iowa City as a coach and competitor. Don't discount what he will do in the future. Things have a tendency to run their cycles. We will be back on top soon enough. Their is more parity in college wrestling than we have ever seen. Yes ..... PSU is currently a dynasty but we are already starting to see things become more challenging for them. Losing Suriano sent a message to some recruits. This can only happen a few times before the cycles changes again.

IMO it's about scholarships, this covers everybody that is being recruited.

It's based on him being a the top of the coaching ranks along with a select few others. The top four or five coaches would all be successful no matter where they go and TBH they are all in the right spots - "stylistically" I think they fit their programs perfectly. I know, probably just that the programs are molded in their style, but it's hard to see any of Cael, Brands, Smith or Ryan going elsewhere at this point. Should be their last jobs like JRob.

Seriously, if they didn't have Brands who would you get??? You are looking best case at it being a gamble to be as good as Brands, very best case. You don't not extend guys like this.

This. Dresser was a huge, surprising get for ISU. Every single coach people talked about for them was up-and-coming and way down the list from either Brands. So who do you go after? During Zalesky that was obvious. Who is the obvious one now?

This is ****ing out of control already. The wrestling season can't start soon enough.

IDK man -- then the football crowd will be coming around to chime in. And the seasonal trolls and fairweather fans. Be careful what you wish for.

TnT have us consistently in the top 5. It's not like Tom wasn't trying to win a championship every year. You can make the argument he wasn't trying hard enough but he was still trying. There is nobody better that would come to Iowa.
I don't know who that "better" future Coach is, but if you don't think people would be falling all over themselves to be the Head Wrestling Coach at Iowa you are sadly mistaken in my opinion.

They've had one of the highest paid staffs for years, and own all of the attendance records for years and years and years. Those situations don't grow on trees.

Reactions: gprsox
I don't know who that "better" future Coach is, but if you don't think people would be falling all over themselves to be the Head Wrestling Coach at Iowa you are sadly mistaken in my opinion.

They've had one of the highest paid staffs for years, and own all of the attendance records for years and years and years. Those situations don't grow on trees.
I agree. The only person you could say is better is Carl and he wouldn't come to Iowa. I agree people would be chomping/champing at the bit to coach here but there's nobody I'd rather have than TnT. Nobody is better than them, not even Carl.

Brands is coach that can get the most out of guy. He's not a recruiter or BS. He's more old school. I like the argument who else can we get. Well pick any coach that has consistently finished in the top ten in the last 5 years. Than throw hot young name coach on the staff. I know penn state has more resources than Iowa but iowa should easily be second place for resources in the college wrestling landscape. Why not higher Michigan coach or Missouri coach or Cornell coach? Iowa should have more resources than these schools have to offer. There are three factors for any program at any school to succeed.

1.Community and school support. Iowa has great alumni and followers. The University also goes out of there way to support wrestling at Iowa. Examples HWC attendeds and grapple on the gridiron

2. Money witch Iowa last I knew had second largest account. This money is used for recruiting trips and funding HWC. As well as advertising the program.

3. Coaching staff that's working together on all three important phases of the program. Recruiting is Morningstar job. Does a great job but terry and Tom need to step it up. They are suppose to be the big names of the program. Terry was also heavily involved with the HWC so hopefully this free terry up to recruit. Fundraising has picked up with just little help form Tom. He raised 10000 just for dinner. There's always room for more. Development is everyone job on the staff. This looks to be one of staff strong areas.

Reactions: gprsox
Heard a cool story today: After Brazil last year, Spencer Lee was having a tough time with his cut for worlds. He was doing all the right things diet etc but the pounds didnt seem to be coming off. As a wrestler, most of us had had one of those cuts. Lee’s Dad talked to Tom about it, trying to get some advice. At one point, they almost notified USA wrestling to which Spencer said over his dead body.

A few days later, McD and Terry showed up in France with McD specifically there to help Spencer get down to weight which he did working him out until weigh ins. Tom’s message to Spencer is that if he failed, he wasn’t going to do it alone.

Needless to say, Spencer and his family are loving Iowa.

Just playing along... If you had to get a new coach, who would it be? I agree that nobody out there currently that is available/would leave where they are, nor do I think anyone is better than TNT (except Carl has that rock star aura right now). Take a moment to ponder the history of the truly dominant programs since the early 70s. As a college wrestler, Gable is The Man, and goes on to win World and Olympic Gold. Kurdelmeier immediately hires him and grooms him to take the head coaching job... Iowa and Gable had that larger than life mystique and aura and being the dominant program of that era kept adding to it and fueling the fire. Carl is the most celebrated college wrestler since Gable (and actually surpassed him) and wins Olympic Gold (world silver in the year prior) and he is the new Golden Boy with the mystique, and aura, and built the dominant program of this era.
It only happens once every 20 years or so, so if it happens again (after 2020), who is it? Snyder?
(maintaining the tradition of Stiebler/Carl etc. so I guess it's "Kylie"/"Karl,"or "Cael" Snyder).

Just playing along... If you had to get a new coach, who would it be? I agree that nobody out there currently that is available/would leave where they are, nor do I think anyone is better than TNT (except Carl has that rock star aura right now). Take a moment to ponder the history of the truly dominant programs since the early 70s. As a college wrestler, Gable is The Man, and goes on to win World and Olympic Gold. Kurdelmeier immediately hires him and grooms him to take the head coaching job... Iowa and Gable had that larger than life mystique and aura and being the dominant program of that era kept adding to it and fueling the fire. Carl is the most celebrated college wrestler since Gable (and actually surpassed him) and wins Olympic Gold (world silver in the year prior) and he is the new Golden Boy with the mystique, and aura, and built the dominant program of this era.
It only happens once every 20 years or so, so if it happens again (after 2020), who is it? Snyder?
(maintaining the tradition of Stiebler/Carl etc. so I guess it's "Kylie"/"Karl,"or "Cael" Snyder).

I had a name in mind while reading through the post . . . and then saw you were thinking the same guy.

So, in trying to think of another guy who could achieve superstar status on the world stage and seems to have the brains to be a good coach, I'll throw Retherford out there as a consideration. Sanderson does rave about his leadership skills.

Reactions: bman546
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT