ADVERTISEMENT

Brands, Kemerer, cause and effect, Cody Goodwin story

Interesting article.. I've always been curious exactly what it was that made kemerer feel uneasy on his visit. If it was partying culture in general or a specific event. Doesn't really matter now. Thanks for posting

Great article, but it makes me wonder who the culprits were. Looking at the 2014-2015 roster these are some notable names: Brooks, Burak, Clark, Evans, Dziewa, Gilman, Grothus, Sorensen, Telford, Stoll.

Regardless, I’m happy Brands got the pipeline rolling, things are looking pretty good for the foreseeable future.

Interesting article.. I've always been curious exactly what it was that made kemerer feel uneasy on his visit. If it was partying culture in general or a specific event. Doesn't really matter now. Thanks for posting

Well, it matters a little now. Hopefully TnT are getting better control of their guys off the mat. If we can go a couple of years with nobody shooting each other that would be a good sign...

Great article, but it makes me wonder who the culprits were. Looking at the 2014-2015 roster these are some notable names: Brooks, Burak, Clark, Evans, Dziewa, Gilman, Grothus, Sorensen, Telford, Stoll.

Regardless, I’m happy Brands got the pipeline rolling, things are looking pretty good for the foreseeable future.

Lembeck, Seth Gross, and Logan Ryan all left the team the spring after Kem visited... (Ryan rejoined eventually)

Heck, even Cory Clark's early years were documented as being less than fully dedicated to the sport, right? Nothing serious, but i recall diet and lots of late nights playing video games being mentioned (he was a top 10 halo player iirc).

Last edited:
Whatever it may have been in the past, according to Pat Downey, the climate around the team is now very focused and intense. And I guess we are seeing the results of that.

"I learned there’s a whole lifestyle that goes into it,” he said. “The Iowa Hawkeyes, that was my first time being around a group of guys that dedicated to the sport. I was like, ‘Geez, these guys, their whole lifestyle goes into it. Every decision they make is based upon what’s getting them better at wrestling.’ That made it easy for me to lock down my nutrition, lock down my training because I saw first hand that there’s other guys out there living this lifestyle day in and day out.”

https://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPost.jsp?postId=1431819132

I always assumed it was Evans, and in my head, the lifestyle could be why he never lived up to expectations. I don't know anything, I'm just guessing.

Reactions: evashevsky58
Lembeck, Seth Gross, and Logan Ryan all left the team the spring after Kem visited... (Ryan rejoined eventually)

Heck, even Cory Clark's early years were documented as being less than fully dedicated to the sport, right? Nothing serious, but i recall diet and lots of late nights playing video games being mentioned (he was a top 10 halo player iirc).
I don't think late night video game playing was exactly the "night life" that was a negative culture point.
Regardless, good to see guys like Kem, Alex, Young and Lee have reset the culture and the results are starting to come as a result.

I’d like to hear the story of how we lost out on Nolf. Seems there’s something there that was dirty.

Not sure if anything dirty went down, but heard Tom make a comment about losing out and I wondered if it was something simple like refusing to up the scholarship amount. Something like staying at 50% scholly instead of going 75% or Full Ride.
images

Don't know.....just guessing like most folks.

Evans spent a lot of time up at the Sports Column drinking beers and looking to pick fights. I loved the Stache but some signs were there. Crapping in a glove in HS, Caught drinking his Redshirt year.

Lembeck didnt help either. Gross messed up but if he and Ryan just dont go up to Linn Marr to that party that weekend it may have all been different.

Clark wasn't a party guy at all but he didn't really seem to care or grasp about academics his freshman year. Clark is smart as heck but just didn't make anything other than wrestling a priority. Brands sent that message loud and clear when he put Clark on the bench and made Gilman the 125 starter that FR season. Thankfully that worked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT