ADVERTISEMENT

Brevin Doll will lead the offense out of the muddy swamp to the high and dry Plateau of D1 Football

In the 1999 World Championships the 8th place finisher ran the 100 meters in 10.24. Dwight's personal record for the 100 meters, also in 1999 was 10.31. I'd say that is pretty world class for that time period.

10.31 is world class speed. Copy that. 😂

Oh yeah. Well just for future reference, I placed second at the 5th grade science fair with my monarch life cycle / chrysalis display. Would have had first place were it not for another one of those plaster volcanoes. Stupid judges. Any idiot can mix vinegar and baking soda.
Superbly done, thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: jonesy5960
What I wouldn't give to see video of everyone on this board trying to run 1 mile right now.
public

So in your world .07 of a second off what was the 8th fastest time in the World Championships that same year isn’t good enough to meet your criteria? Good to know how exclusive of a club that must be.

Look, I really don't want to do this. You want to defend your opinion and I respect that. I just think we see the expression "world class" differently.

Reactions: coorsoriginal02
Look, I really don't want to do this. You want to defend your opinion and I respect that. I just think we see the expression "world class" differently.
You think I’m wrong - and I think you’re wrong. Fair enough.

And by the way, you were the one who asked me to define “world class” speed. And if .07 off the 8th place finisher at the World Championships isn’t that, not sure what is? Maybe .06 off is?

There - now I’m done.

Last edited:
BREVIN DOLL WILL SOON BE ON THE IOWA PRACTICE FIELD! Ran 10.74 in the 100-meter dash and 21.89 in the 200-meter dash at the state track meet his sophomore year. 2022: Rushed for 1,475 yards and 27 touchdowns and had 640 receiving yards with six touchdowns as a junior. All-state selection and Iowa 3A Offensive Player of the Year.Apr 16, 2023

REMEMBER THAT I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO TELL YOU THAT COOPER DEJEAN WOULD BE FANTASTIC WHEN HE GOT TO IOWA.
I once drank 3 beers in 4 minutes and didn't throw up! I couldn't drink 3 beers in an hour now haha.

In the 1999 World Championships the 8th place finisher ran the 100 meters in 10.24. Dwight's personal record for the 100 meters, also in 1999 was 10.31. I'd say that is pretty world class for that time period.

I'm no track expert, but he was a Big champion in the 100 meters. For someone who played another sport professionally and never trained for track full time, that's pretty amazing. BTW, I think he admitted that Tavian Banks was faster than him in the forty. Wowza. From Wiki:

Dwight also competed in track events, with personal bests of 10.31 seconds in the 100 meters and 20.98 seconds in the 200 meters; in 1999, he was Big Ten Champion in the 100-meter dash, and he also was a member of the Big Ten champion 4x400-meter relay and 4x100-meter relay teams in 1999, and the Big Ten champion 4x100-meter relay team in 1998.

Personal bests[edit]​

EventTime (seconds)VenueDate
60 meters6.87Cedar Falls, IowaFebruary 27, 2000
100 meters10.31West Lafayette, IndianaMay 22, 1999
200 meters20.98West Lafayette, IndianaMay 22, 1999

BREVIN DOLL WILL SOON BE ON THE IOWA PRACTICE FIELD! Ran 10.74 in the 100-meter dash and 21.89 in the 200-meter dash at the state track meet his sophomore year. 2022: Rushed for 1,475 yards and 27 touchdowns and had 640 receiving yards with six touchdowns as a junior. All-state selection and Iowa 3A Offensive Player of the Year.Apr 16, 2023

REMEMBER THAT I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO TELL YOU THAT COOPER DEJEAN WOULD BE FANTASTIC WHEN HE GOT TO IOWA.
You were the first, but put me on the bandwagon as well. He looks built and those track times for a sophomore are pretty impressive.

I'm no track expert, but he was a Big champion in the 100 meters. For someone who played another sport professionally and never trained for track full time, that's pretty amazing. BTW, I think he admitted that Tavian Banks was faster than him in the forty. Wowza. From Wiki:

Dwight also competed in track events, with personal bests of 10.31 seconds in the 100 meters and 20.98 seconds in the 200 meters; in 1999, he was Big Ten Champion in the 100-meter dash, and he also was a member of the Big Ten champion 4x400-meter relay and 4x100-meter relay teams in 1999, and the Big Ten champion 4x100-meter relay team in 1998.

Personal bests[edit]​

EventTime (seconds)VenueDate
60 meters6.87Cedar Falls, IowaFebruary 27, 2000
100 meters10.31West Lafayette, IndianaMay 22, 1999
200 meters20.98West Lafayette, IndianaMay 22, 1999

So....10.31 isn't correct. He ran a PR of 10.41 in West Lafayette. And to win the B1G Championship, in rainy weather, he ran 10.51. He addresses that tenth difference in this video. Skip to 1:02:45.

You think I’m wrong - and I think you’re wrong. Fair enough.

And by the way, you were the one who asked me to define “world class” speed. And if .07 off the 8th place finisher at the World Championships isn’t that, not sure what is? Maybe .06 off is?

There - now I’m done.

The thing is though, you're comparing one guy's PR to the results of a single race. Pull up the PRs of the guys from even the prelims of the 1999 Worlds. I think you'll see what I'm saying. Almost every single guy entered in the 100 of that Championship had a PR that crushed Dwight.

The thing is though, you're comparing one guy's PR to the results of a single race. Pull up the PRs of the guys from even the prelims of the 1999 Worlds. I think you'll see what I'm saying. Almost every single guy entered in the 100 of that Championship had a PR that crushed Dwight.
Yes I am - and that is all it takes to say you have a specific ability. And like what was said earlier, he also gets the benefit of the doubt for being a part-time track athlete while specifically training to be a football player.

What is your specific objective definition of "world class" speed?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Yes I am - and that is all it takes to say you have a specific ability. And like what was said earlier, he also gets the benefit of the doubt for being a part-time track athlete while specifically training to be a football player.

What is your specific objective definition of "world class" speed?

World class to me means you're among the best in the world. It seems pretty obvious that's what it's meant to mean. You're somebody that's a legitimate threat to win competitions at the world level. I realize how much you like Dwight's PR compared to the final at the 1999 Worlds, but you're not realizing how many guys in the world had times equal to or better than Dwight's at that time. Check out the yearly best lists on TFRRS. That's just for college. Then check out the world lists. The bottom line is that Tim Dwight never would have even sniffed a world level competition because he wouldn't have come close to qualifying. Running full-time or not. And he'd tell you that himself.

Seasonal college bests dating back to 2010:

https://tf.tfrrs.org/lists/4044/2023_NCAA_Division_I_All_Schools_Rankings?gender=m

Here are the world's top 100 meter times for 2001. That's as far back as this database goes. I'll even give you a 10.31 PR for Dwight. He'd have tied for 156th fastest in the world that year. A 10.41, which is what he actually ran at Purdue, puts him at 279th in the world.

https://worldathletics.org/records/...untry=all&eventId=10229630&ageCategory=senior

Last edited:
World class to me means you're among the best in the world. It seems pretty obvious that's what it's meant to mean. You're somebody that's a legitimate threat to win competitions at the world level. I realize how much you like Dwight's PR compared to the final at the 1999 Worlds, but you're not realizing how many guys in the world had times equal to or better than Dwight's at that time. Check out the yearly best lists on TFRRS. That's just for college. Then check out the world lists. The bottom line is that Tim Dwight never would have even sniffed a world level competition because he wouldn't have come close to qualifying. Running full-time or not. And he'd tell you that himself.

Seasonal college bests dating back to 2010:

https://tf.tfrrs.org/lists/4044/2023_NCAA_Division_I_All_Schools_Rankings?gender=m

Here are the world's top 100 meter times for 2001. That's as far back as this database goes. I'll even give you a 10.31 PR for Dwight. He'd have tied for 156th fastest in the world that year. A 10.41, which is what he actually ran at Purdue, puts him at 279th in the world.

https://worldathletics.org/records/...untry=all&eventId=10229630&ageCategory=senior

All I am trying to say is that if your personal best would have beaten a number of other athletes who met the qualifying time for the 1999 World Championships, you have "world class" speed. Being 156th or even 279th in the world is still pretty impressive, even more so when you are using a period for comparison that is 2 years later than when it was run. The world is a pretty big place. And by the way, you laughed at a 10.31 for being called world class. That by the way is .09 faster than a qualifying time required for the 2000 Olympics. Yes - that was the B standard (10.40) for countries with limited resources in terms of athletes, but still an objective standard.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
All I am trying to say is that if your personal best would have beaten a number of other athletes who met the qualifying time for the 1999 World Championships, you have "world class" speed. Being 156th or even 279th in the world is still pretty impressive, even more so when you are using a period for comparison that is 2 years later than when it was run. The world is a pretty big place. And by the way, you laughed at a 10.31 for being called world class. That by the way is .09 faster than a qualifying time required for the 2000 Olympics. Yes - that was the B standard (10.40) for countries with limited resources in terms of athletes, but still an objective standard.

It's mere semantics. Tim Dwight might be my all-time favorite Hawkeye. Gamer through and through. I know some great stories about him from high school. He was a few years older than me, but it was fun hearing the varsity guys at my school, who faced him and those '92 and '93 City teams talk about how intense he was. So many players that followed him in the MVC tried to emulate him. For years. Good chat.

I could chug a beer with the best of them back in high school and college. Ironically, I seldom quaff a barley pop anymore.

What made Dwight fast on a football field was he went ran hard all the time. It was always like he was shot out of a gun on punt and kick returns...no hesitation. Strong, fearless, compact guy that couldn't be arm- tackled. He was a feared returner in high school, college, and the pros. Maybe not world class speed, but probably a very limited group of players faster in the NFL and that was all that counted! Looked plenty fast on the KO return in the Super Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT