ADVERTISEMENT

Enough of the Tiny Deac Energy

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
Haven't we seen enough of this guy?

Do we really want the QB who was third team at lowly Wisconsin and forced to transfer? We can see why the only team interested in the portal was Fordham. But then the highly paid QB guru Budmyr had to swoop in (due to the utter lack of development out of Labas) and score the recruiting coup of the century to steal him away from D2. Looks like the joke is on Iowa.

The ironic thing is, Deac would not have even started at Fordham. Fordham's starting QB has thrown for 1,800 yards, completing 64% of his passes, with 17 touchdowns and 0 interceptions! In other words, Iowa's starting QB would be the backup even at the D2 level. That's an embarrassment. If D2 is the best recruiting we can do, shouldn't Bud have at least gone after the best QB on Fordham's roster? Did Loras not have anyone available?

At what point do we pull the plug on the tiny Deac energy? If Labas is that bad, why not give the freshmen a try? Starting QBs at any level (including peewee league and powder puff) are unanimously benched when completing just 38% of their passes while averaging just 4.4 yards per attempt. Then there's the unavoidable discontent he's creating among a bunch of scholarship WRs, who get zero targets because tiny Deac locks onto the TE from the moment the ball is snapped.

"What's the upside" in giving Marco Lainez a few series this week? Sure, he trained under Tony Rassiopi, the guy who trained Petras. But Lainez was offered by several Big 10 teams, he put up great numbers in high school, and schools with much better offenses are willing play their freshmen QBs this year. Colorado State has a freshmen throwing for 323 yards per game this year. South Florida's freshmen QB has thrown for 12 touchdowns. UCLA's freshmen QB has already thrown for 1,300 yards. Even Iowa State's redshirt freshmen has thrown for 1,500 yards. Being a freshmen doesn't make a guy incompetent. Here's what Lainez did in high school:

As a senior, completed 97-of-125 pass attempts (77.6%) for 2,182 yards, with 23 touchdowns and five interceptions… also rushed for 573 yards and five touchdowns. As a junior completed 93-of-116 attempts (80.2%) for 1,761 yards and 21 touchdowns, with two interceptions.

There is not a QB in college football who could do worse than a 38% completion percentage with 4.4 yards per attempt. With half a season left and a lot to play for, let's see if anyone else can provide competent QB play because Deac is not the guy. Otherwise, with zero semblance of an offense and no chance at beating a ranked opponent, what's the point of winning the west?

Last edited:

Do we really want the QB who was third team at lowly Wisconsin? We can see why the only team interested in him in the portal was Fordham...until QB guru Budmyr swooped in and scored the recruiting coup of the century to grab him. Looks like the joke is on Iowa.

The ironic thing is, Deac would not have even started at Fordham this year. Their QB has already thrown for 1,800 yards, completing 64% of his passes, with 17 touchdowns and 0 interceptions! In other words, the guy running the Hawkeye offense would not even be starting at the D2 level. That's an unacceptable embarrassment. While searching the D2 level for QBs, perhaps Bud should have at least offered Fordham's starter?

At what point do we pull the plug on a guy who plays with such tiny Deac energy? Why not give the freshmen a try before the coaching ruins him? Starting QBs at every level (including powder puff) need to be yanked when completing just 38% of their passes, ranking last in the NCAA. What's worse is Deac is averaging just 4.4 yards per attempt, which defies all logic. Then there's the discontent among WRs, who get no targets because Deac locks onto the TE from the moment the ball is snapped.

So "what's the upside" in giving Marco Lainez some reps this week? Sure, he trained under Tony Rassiopi, the guy who trained Petras, which is not a good omen. But should one bad apple spoil the bunch? Lainez was offered by several Big 10 teams, he put up great numbers in high school, and most schools with much better offenses than Iowa are willing play their freshmen QBs. Colorado State has a freshmen throwing for 323 yards per game this year. South Florida's freshmen QB has thrown for 12 touchdowns. UCLA's freshmen QB has already thrown for 1,300 yards. Even Iowa State's redshirt freshmen has thrown for 1,500 yards.

Iowa cannot do worse than playing a guy with a 38% completion percentage with 4.4 yards per attempt. With half a season left and a lot to play for, it's time to see if anyone else can provide competent QB play. Otherwise, what's the point of winning the west with zero semblance of an offense and no chance at beating a ranked opponent?
Sounds like you need to see a urologist.

Do we really want the QB who was third team at lowly Wisconsin? We can see why the only team interested in him in the portal was Fordham...until QB guru Budmyr swooped in and scored the recruiting coup of the century to grab him. Looks like the joke is on Iowa.

The ironic thing is, Deac would not have even started at Fordham this year. Their QB has already thrown for 1,800 yards, completing 64% of his passes, with 17 touchdowns and 0 interceptions! In other words, the guy running the Hawkeye offense would not even be starting at the D2 level. That's an unacceptable embarrassment. While searching the D2 level for QBs, perhaps Bud should have at least offered Fordham's starter?

At what point do we pull the plug on a guy who plays with such tiny Deac energy? Why not give the freshmen a try before the coaching ruins him? Starting QBs at every level (including powder puff) need to be yanked when completing just 38% of their passes, ranking last in the NCAA. What's worse is Deac is averaging just 4.4 yards per attempt, which defies all logic. Then there's the discontent among WRs, who get no targets because Deac locks onto the TE from the moment the ball is snapped.

So "what's the upside" in giving Marco Lainez some reps this week? Sure, he trained under Tony Rassiopi, the guy who trained Petras, which is not a good omen. But should one bad apple spoil the bunch? Lainez was offered by several Big 10 teams, he put up great numbers in high school, and most schools with much better offenses than Iowa are willing play their freshmen QBs. Colorado State has a freshmen throwing for 323 yards per game this year. South Florida's freshmen QB has thrown for 12 touchdowns. UCLA's freshmen QB has already thrown for 1,300 yards. Even Iowa State's redshirt freshmen has thrown for 1,500 yards.

Iowa cannot do worse than playing a guy with a 38% completion percentage with 4.4 yards per attempt. With half a season left and a lot to play for, it's time to see if anyone else can provide competent QB play. Otherwise, what's the point of winning the west with zero semblance of an offense and no chance at beating a ranked opponent?
Remember when Petras was playing and everyone demanded that Padilla play because he couldn't be any worse? And then he was.

And then remember how excited everyone was when Petras was done and Iowa brought in Cade to resurrect the QB position at Iowa? And then statistically he was worse.

And now we have Hill who a lot of people, including me, were hoping that a 2 legged Qb would allow the playbook to be expanded to capitalize on the increased mobility. And then it got worse.

And finally, remember how everyone the past 2 years kept saying the offense is so bad it can't possibly get any worse? And somehow it got worse every single year.

I think it's time for Iowa fans to stop making ridiculous statements like
"Iowa cannot do worse" with respect to anything regarding the Iowa offense. If fans have learned anything these past few years, it is that it can always get worse, and it's likely that it will.

Remember when Petras was playing and everyone demanded that Padilla play because he couldn't be any worse? And then he was.

And then remember how excited everyone was when Petras was done and Iowa brought in Cade to resurrect the QB position at Iowa? And then statistically he was worse.

And now we have Hill who a lot of people, including me, were hoping that a 2 legged Qb would allow the playbook to be expanded to capitalize on the increased mobility. And then it got worse.

And finally, remember how everyone the past 2 years kept saying the offense is so bad it can't possibly get any worse? And somehow it got worse every single year.

"Iowa cannot do worse" with respect to anything regarding the Iowa offense. If fans have learned anything these past few years, it is that it can always get worse, and it's likely that it will.
At the absolute least, Labas could run a little.

My wife the other week said I had Big Deac Energy. True story.

giphy.gif

Hmmmmm....this sure makes the HC and OC and QBC look like total dog shit, no??

Yeah
S. Fla is 3-4

CSU is 3-3

ISU is 4-3.

To surmise, you'd be happy being a .500 team as long as the QB throws for 300 a game. Iowa Slaw strikes again!

Got it!
Imagine if Iowa could throw for 300 per game, our run game woud be putting up 150-200, and we would be undefeated with our top10 defense.

Would you rather be 6-1 and the laughing stock of D1 football, or 7-0 and ranked in top 10 and able to compete against OSU/UM?

Wow. This is such a stupid, idiotic post.

Bench Hill and put Labas or someone else in? Seriously? Labas has been injured for months. Gotta be rusty. Put a freshman in? How did that work out for Wisconsin Saturday?

Iowa had exactly zero turnovers Saturday. They never intended to throw the ball after All went down. Hill executed the game plan.

Hill made some nice throws against Purdue. He will get better. Run the ball with some play action passes sprinkled in.

Where's the yawn reaction button?

What Iowa has beyond any shadow of a doubt is team cohesion, spirit, and determination. You're going to disrupt that for *checks notes* Joey Labas? Who may or may not even be healthy?
No need to dog on Labas. His one game is better than anything Hill has put on film so far this year.

KF/BF offense has had a 3 year string now of going from almost as bad as you can get to as bad as you can get. I don't think Fans calling for change expected Kirk Ferentz to double down (keeping Petras as starter) and triple down on his stupidity (naming BF QB coach, relying on Budamyr as the offense whisperer).

The Petras/Padillo controversy overall had no effect on W/L or maybe a net positive. In Padillo case, the original NW game Padillo first subbed in for Petras, Padillo won that game and he won a tough game vs Minny and Illinois. When Padillo stumbled vs Nebraska, Petras came in and played better than he had before he went down. There really has been no downside to playing the backup QBs and I think overall it was a positive. We learned who couldn't play--- Padillo transferred out. Carson May must also have been a bust not being worthy of PT, so also addition by subtraction.

I don't blame Deacon for all the passing woes. He's got a the worst offensive head coach in P5 and the worst offensive coordinator in P5 and the cupboard is bare on WR talent and TE position hit by injuries. That said, Deacon lacks mobility and he needs to be able to throw like Tom Brady to be a big asset, but instead he's worse than Petras in accuracy. I do think Deacon stands in in the pocket better than Petras did and takes more shots downfield.

I would give Deacon another game as starter. If Labas is healthy, I saw nothing in that Kentucky bowl game to make me think he is worse option than what Deacon has shown the last two games. If Labas not worthy of starting given Deacon's stats, then he needs to transfer out. Hopefully BF takes a hike after the end of this season. The worst thing about possibly going 11-1 into Indy is KF is going to think he's the reason, when everyone knows it is Phil Parker.

I agree 100% - but damn we have to be getting close to the "Iowa cannot do worse" on offense, right? I mean how much further into the depths of hell do we have left? I say we are on at least the 8th circle

Reactions: VodkaSam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT