ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz at Chicago coaches clinic.

Originally posted by Slappy Pappy:
Standing gives the TE better vision, and that could certainly help them with their blocking and route running down field. I seem to recall our TEs standing up a couple times this year. Does anyone else remember this?
I am a little hesitant to respond considering the backlash that has surrounded this thread, but the guy who I referred to in my OP who played at Iowa under Hayden stated that exact thing as to one of the philosophies behind it.

My wife has attended the Iowa Ladies Football Academy every year they have had it, and has mentioned that Brian's language was pretty inappropriate for the crowd he was talking to. One of the things I remember her commenting on was his explanation of the proper stance for the offensive line was "to squat down like you're taking a s**t"

Originally posted by FBletterman:
Originally posted by herkyhawk00:
Anyone else see Brian Ferentz talk at the coaching clinic in Chicago last week? Pretty disappointing, IMO, on how he spoke and conducted himself. Considering he recruits the Illinois territory and is out to create a positive image, I don't think he did himself any favors. While speaking, the guy literally drops some 10 f-bombs and says $hit another dozen plus times all in the first 20 minutes. Just came across very arrogant to a lot of people. Kind of railed on Hayden Fry and how he had his TE's standing up as one of the dumbest things he has seen. I was there with a guy who played for Iowa under Hayden Fry and he got so turned off, he got up and walked out. It was just very surprising and disappointing as he is a guy who has always spoke very well when being interviewed.

Just curious if anyone else saw him speak that same weekend and got the same impression. Just thought it was unprofessional and not what you would expect.
Hmm, considering both Hayden Fry and Bill Snyder signed off on the idea of standing TE's I'd say Brian better check himself.
Standing gives the TE better vision, and that could certainly help them with their blocking and route running down field. I seem to recall our TEs standing up a couple times this year. Does anyone else remember this?
Cook was used as a 235/240 lb "WR", his UI playing weight. IIRC, Cook was the only stand-up TE AA?

He earned all pro from a 3-pt stance. Seeing and blocking better standing up is debatable, IMHO.

Question; does KSU/Synder use a stand-up tight end now and previously?

Quote from Cook:

"There is always room to improve, not how good you are," said Cook. "Blocking is something I have really tried to develop the last five years. I was a stand-up tight end at Iowa. This is only my sixth year of blocking from a down position.
"I think I am coming into the prime of my career where I can be effective as a blocker. It has always been my goal to be a complete player."

FWIW

Originally posted by HereComeTheHawks:

My wife has attended the Iowa Ladies Football Academy every year they have had it, and has mentioned that Brian's language was pretty inappropriate for the crowd he was talking to. One of the things I remember her commenting on was his explanation of the proper stance for the offensive line was "to squat down like you're taking a s**t"
Seems a fairly apt description, no?

Originally posted by hknation:
Originally posted by FBletterman:
Originally posted by herkyhawk00:
Anyone else see Brian Ferentz talk at the coaching clinic in Chicago last week? Pretty disappointing, IMO, on how he spoke and conducted himself. Considering he recruits the Illinois territory and is out to create a positive image, I don't think he did himself any favors. While speaking, the guy literally drops some 10 f-bombs and says $hit another dozen plus times all in the first 20 minutes. Just came across very arrogant to a lot of people. Kind of railed on Hayden Fry and how he had his TE's standing up as one of the dumbest things he has seen. I was there with a guy who played for Iowa under Hayden Fry and he got so turned off, he got up and walked out. It was just very surprising and disappointing as he is a guy who has always spoke very well when being interviewed.

Just curious if anyone else saw him speak that same weekend and got the same impression. Just thought it was unprofessional and not what you would expect.
Hmm, considering both Hayden Fry and Bill Snyder signed off on the idea of standing TE's I'd say Brian better check himself.
Cook was used as a 235/240 lb "WR", his UI playing weight. IIRC, Cook was the only stand-up TE AA?

He earned all pro from a 3-pt stance. Seeing and blocking better standing up is debatable, IMHO.

Question; does KSU/Synder use a stand-up tight end now and previously?

Quote from Cook:

"There is always room to improve, not how good you are," said Cook. "Blocking is something I have really tried to develop the last five years. I was a stand-up tight end at Iowa. This is only my sixth year of blocking from a down position.
"I think I am coming into the prime of my career where I can be effective as a blocker. It has always been my goal to be a complete player."

FWIW
Improved vision for identifying blocking assignments and route running was the rational given at the time. Probably meant ID'ing the lbs and other downfield blocks and db positions. It was unusual when Fry did it, so it got talked about a bit. I'm not speaking in favor of it. I don't think there's any question that for straight ahead man-on run blocking, 3 pt is better. But the TE often doesn't have a man lined up in his face, anyway.

Obviously if people thought stand-up was all that, you'd actually see people using it.

Originally posted by theIowaHawk:
Originally posted by HereComeTheHawks:

Seems a fairly apt description, no?
You take shits in a three point stance?

Originally posted by Quintana:

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
If I came on here and said I saw Brian Ferentz at a gay strip club, would all you freakin tards start talking about his 'preference' or morality or would you wait for some kind of verification, validation, of said event? Like I keep saying, this site is full of a bunch of batshit crazy idiots!!! And all this sh*t that he couldn't get a job anywhere else??? Have most of you bin sleeping under a rock like the Geiko commercial? I can tell you something first hand with my own eyes and ears. Bill O'Brien was at spring practice last year talking to KF about his son (I was standing right next to them and there was a picture of me standing next to them on this site) and KF said to BB that his son's language was a little more 'colorful' than his own (while 'motivating' some OL's during a drill)....
He was all-conference, made the line calls for 3 years at Iowa, was raised by one of the most respected line coaches in the NFL, coached the Patriots, coaches at Iowa, and coached an Outland Trophy winner, but he should 'sit down, shut up and learn something'??? I'm starting to believe this is just a big 'put-on' and I'm not in on the joke...
Either this is some kind of 'punked' episode, or most of you are just the stupidest f*cking clowns that ever walked the face of the earth...
I keep waitin for Ashton Kutcher to jump out or Allen Funt to come out of his grave to let me know this all a joke so I can regain a shrivel of hope in mankind again...
If he acutally did get 'colorful' at a coaching clinic, what the fck does it matter to you? If he was 'out of line', I can assure you fcking dckweeds that the organizers of the event, his dad, the U of I, etc... would address it without all of your brilliant imput...
Brian is that you? also, if you are going to take credit for coaching an outland trophy winner you better be prepared to be saddled with coaching and influencing a suspected murderer.
Not sure if serious. Fortune telling isn't usually a prerequisite of a successful coach. Think about it.

Originally posted by thejazzcat:

If I came on here and said I saw Brian Ferentz at a gay strip club, would all you freakin tards start talking about his 'preference' or morality or would you wait for some kind of verification, validation, of said event? Like I keep saying, this site is full of a bunch of batshit crazy idiots!!! And all this sh*t that he couldn't get a job anywhere else??? Have most of you bin sleeping under a rock like the Geiko commercial? I can tell you something first hand with my own eyes and ears. Bill O'Brien was at spring practice last year talking to KF about his son (I was standing right next to them and there was a picture of me standing next to them on this site) and KF said to BB that his son's language was a little more 'colorful' than his own (while 'motivating' some OL's during a drill)....
He was all-conference, made the line calls for 3 years at Iowa, was raised by one of the most respected line coaches in the NFL, coached the Patriots, coaches at Iowa, and coached an Outland Trophy winner, but he should 'sit down, shut up and learn something'??? I'm starting to believe this is just a big 'put-on' and I'm not in on the joke...
Either this is some kind of 'punked' episode, or most of you are just the stupidest f*cking clowns that ever walked the face of the earth...
I keep waitin for Ashton Kutcher to jump out or Allen Funt to come out of his grave to let me know this all a joke so I can regain a shrivel of hope in mankind again...
If he acutally did get 'colorful' at a coaching clinic, what the fck does it matter to you? If he was 'out of line', I can assure you fcking dckweeds that the organizers of the event, his dad, the U of I, etc... would address it without all of your brilliant imput...
Brian is that you? also, if you are going to take credit for coaching an outland trophy winner you better be prepared to be saddled with coaching and influencing a suspected murderer.
Not sure if serious. Fortune telling isn't usually a prerequisite of a successful coach. Think about it.
my point being, he fell into coaching scherf the same way he fell into coaching hernandez. if anything, most people thought (from reading this board) that Brandon regressed this year. I don't think there was a lot of coaching up going on in either case. he was lucky on both accounts to have a player with ability under him.

my point being, he fell into coaching scherf the same way he fell into coaching hernandez. if anything, most people thought (from reading this board) that Brandon regressed this year. I don't think there was a lot of coaching up going on in either case. he was lucky on both accounts to have a player with ability under him.
He coached Scherff for 3 of his 4 years, not sure how that is "falling into" anything. Scherff certainly wasn't an Outland trophy winner when he arrived on campus as a 3 star recruit.

He coached Scherff for 3 of his 4 years, not sure how that is "falling into" anything. Scherff certainly wasn't an Outland trophy winner when he arrived on campus as a 3 star recruit.
I just don't understand people. If you think BF is not a good coach, fine, say so, espouse your thoughts....but it doesn't mean he can't have done anything good. People need everything to be strictly black/white anymore, it is just disappointing.

Quintana: You can give credit to BF for working with Scherff without rubber-stamping his CV with a giant thumbs up.

Good grief.

You are actually going to listen to these idiots that Brandon regressed this year. Lol. The 'experts' made him the outland trophy winner, not because of what he did last year, but because of how great he played this year, and the draft experts state that he raised his draft stock by staying and having the year he had. Listen to the people who know what they're talking about, not these wanna'be morons:)

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
I had about as much influence on Brandon's success as Brian Ferentz.

I read this earlier tonite to some coaching peers who never go on this site, to show them the level of idiocracy out there. They didn't believe me about what you f*cking idiots were saying until I showed them some of your inane posts. Yours was one of many I showed them. They laughed out loud at you and said that you can't argue with idiots. Well, they're right, you can't argue with you idiots, that's why I just tell you what f*cking idiots you are. I'm not going to argue with any you about it, lol.
Have you ever met Brandon Scherff? NO. Ever coached him? NO. Ever read or listened to him praise his coaches for his success (he has on numerous occasions)? APPARENTLY NOT OR YOU WOULDN'T MAKE SUCH AN ABSOLUTELY ASININE STATEMENT?
What the hell is even the point of making such an cretinous utterance? Did you think people would think your clever? Did you think they would really believe you've had any influence in his life, career, success, ANYTHING? Seriously, what is your f*cking point?
I hope you get the help you need or go up to Brandon (as you refer to him, like you know him, lol) or to Brain Ferentz and tell them what you told us, you f*cking spineless f*cking idiot. I love to see which one of them laughs the hardest at your ignorant, stupid a**, lol

So here is what I have learned from this thread. Bill O'Brien and Bill Belichick are either not real or are total idiots. Thank you hawkeye fans.

Originally posted by trippnschmidt:
Originally posted by Floyd_Of_Rosedale:

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

if Brian's last name was anything other than Ferentz none of these poster would be saying anything negative about him, he is being condemned simply because his dad is IA's HC and they want him fired in the worst way. so Brian get trashed as well,
If Brian's last name was anything other than Ferentz......he never would have been hired.
False.
Who else was interviewed for the job?

I read this earlier tonite to some coaching peers who never go on this site, to show them the level of idiocracy out there. They didn't believe me about what you f*cking idiots were saying until I showed them some of your inane posts. Yours was one of many I showed them. They laughed out loud at you and said that you can't argue with idiots. Well, they're right, you can't argue with you idiots, that's why I just tell you what f*cking idiots you are. I'm not going to argue with any you about it, lol.
Have you ever met Brandon Scherff? NO. Ever coached him? NO. Ever read or listened to him praise his coaches for his success (he has on numerous occasions)? APPARENTLY NOT OR YOU WOULDN'T MAKE SUCH AN ABSOLUTELY ASININE STATEMENT?
What the hell is even the point of making such an cretinous utterance? Did you think people would think your clever? Did you think they would really believe you've had any influence in his life, career, success, ANYTHING? Seriously, what is your f*cking point?
I hope you get the help you need or go up to Brandon (as you refer to him, like you know him, lol) or to Brain Ferentz and tell them what you told us, you f*cking spineless f*cking idiot. I love to see which one of them laughs the hardest at your ignorant, stupid a**, lol
Just curious but what did they think of your posts on here?

BTW, how do you know if Hawkeyesports92 knows Brandon or not?

Originally posted by FG86:

I believe I already said that they thought it was hilarious and since they said that you can't argue with idiots an intelligent person would be able to discern that I showed them my posts also.
Is the second question a serious one? What, do you think his dad or his HS coach came on here and made this statement? Realy? I won't even dignify that question with a response....

I believe I already said that they thought it was hilarious and since they said that you can't argue with idiots an intelligent person would be able to discern that I showed them my posts also.
Is the second question a serious one? What, do you think his dad or his HS coach came on here and made this statement? Realy? I won't even dignify that question with a response....
They thought your posts were hilarious? If that is the case, I could probably figure out which coaching peers they may be. They are the ones who act like total fools on the sidelines.

So the ONLY people who know Brandon or influenced him are his dad or HS coach? Wow, really?

They thought your posts were hilarious? If that is the case, I could probably figure out which coaching peers they may be. They are the ones who act like total fools on the sidelines.

So the ONLY people who know Brandon or influenced him are his dad or HS coach? Wow, really?
With that baffling, idiotic, leap in logic, I am going to take their advice and quit even talking to you idiots.
And like I said, I'm not even dignifying that with an answer. Too inane to acknowledge....

With that baffling, idiotic, leap in logic, I am going to take their advice and quit even talking to you idiots.
And like I said, I'm not even dignifying that with an answer. Too inane to acknowledge....
No baffling leap in logic at all. Your posts are nothing but vulgar rants. Can't believe too many people would be able to stand you unless they were like you.

Of course you won't answer. That is what happens when someone gets owned.

If you want to talk stopping to yourself, that's your choice. But I would really like it if you just stopped talking to me, and I am sure other posters feel the same way.

Wrong. I know Brandon. I hope you and your pee wee coaching peers enjoyed your night at the club. I still don't believe Brian joins you there.

This post was edited on 2/19 8:56 AM by hawkeyesports92

Wrong. I know Brandon. I hope you and your pee wee coaching peers enjoyed your night at the club. I still don't believe Brian joins you there.

So enlighten us all as to your influence on his success. Should we ask Brandon if you were a bigger influence in his success than BF? Did he thank you when he accepted his award? I don't know. I want to hear more about you! Me and my peewee coaching peers find you fascinating!
confused0018.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/19 10:41 AM by MattFoleyHawk

Terrible, terrible . . .

If we had a guy that used so much profanity, so flippantly, we'd run him out of town at Nebraska. In fact, we just HAD a guy like that. After a thorough 2 year investigation he was canned. You can't operate like that.

And then all the rumors swirling about his personal life. Guy either wasn't able to cash his paychecks or didn't receive them, so ended up living on the taxpayer's dime. Then, he's seen, according to one of your posters--a guy named Matt I think--hanging around local gay clubs, doing who knows what with who knows who. Not that I care. I don't care if the guy is shaving chickens for amusement. But I know folks from that area, and a lot of them won't take any of that tomfoolery with a grain of salt, no matter how big the grain. Worst of all, that dang team just isn't winning much these days. It's really a shameful situation on a lot of fronts.

I hope you guys get it all sorted out. It seems like there are a lot of uncouth events and thoughts around the Hawks at the moment.

Oh snap. Matt Foley was indeed wrong. Imagine that.I guess my logic wasn't so inane after all.
laugh.r191677.gif

Re: Brian Ferenz cussing unprofessional

A University of Iowa faculty member should conduct himself in a more professional manner. This cussing is not good regardless of the audience while representing the University of Iowa.

Originally posted by Iowa Hog:

A University of Iowa faculty member should conduct himself in a more professional manner. This cussing is not good regardless of the audience while representing the University of Iowa.
Why?

Originally posted by Iowa Hog:

Somewhat ironically, I agree. It is rarely good or appropriate. My question is that if he is recieving compensation for a speaking engagement on his personal time, is he technically representing the University of Iowa or himself? Probably not appropriate either way.
Although I am purposely vulgar on here at times as a means of attracting attention to different issues and posters (and it gets their attention!), my wife is quick to 'hit' me if I swear in public, and if she is not able to inconspicuously do it at the time of said offense, will never forget to chastise me at her earliest convenience in private. I rarely reoffend.
Everyone needs a good wife:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT