ADVERTISEMENT

Bride killed, husband injured in golf cart crash after wedding reception, authorities say

QChawks

HB King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities

FOLLY BEACH, S.C. (WCSC/Gray News) – A newlywed bride was killed, and her husband was injured after an alleged drunken driver hit the golf cart they were riding in Friday night, according to the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office.

Witnesses said the force of the impact threw the golf cart more than 100 yards and made it roll several times.

Samantha Miller, 34, died at the scene from injuries sustained during the crash, according to Charleston County Coroner Bobbi Jo O’Neal.

Her new husband’s mother said in a GoFundMe post that he is in serious condition with broken bones and a brain injury.

That is brutal. Couldn't tell by the article, but as driving away from the reception? As in, everyone that was there may have seen the accident?
Tragic. The worst thing that happened at mine was the bridesmaid having sex behind the 9th green before cake.

No pics.. But you'd want them.

How did you find out and who was the lucky fella?

I'd set the over/under on years in prison at 4.5 unless someone else passes away. And I'd bet heavy on the under.
Solid guess. I used to work with a dude that drove drunk and hit/killed someone. I believe he did 4 years before getting released.

Reactions: Derekd3408
By my recollection, you can’t really drive around Foley at high speeds. I think it’s 30 mph.
*edit correction. 25mph. Driver was going 65.

FOLLY BEACH, S.C. (WCSC/Gray News) – A newlywed bride was killed, and her husband was injured after an alleged drunken driver hit the golf cart they were riding in Friday night, according to the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office.

Witnesses said the force of the impact threw the golf cart more than 100 yards and made it roll several times.

Samantha Miller, 34, died at the scene from injuries sustained during the crash, according to Charleston County Coroner Bobbi Jo O’Neal.

Her new husband’s mother said in a GoFundMe post that he is in serious condition with broken bones and a brain injury.

Solid guess. I used to work with a dude that drove drunk and hit/killed someone. I believe he did 4 years before getting released.
Yeah. Had two friends from my youth that were charged with vehicular manslaughter after driving drunk. One did 2 years the other 3.5. The one that served 2 may have been because he turned himself in. He heard the story the next day on the news and the pieces started coming together. He had no idea when he woke up Sunday morning he had hit someone.

Yeah. Had two friends from my youth that were charged with vehicular manslaughter after driving drunk. One did 2 years the other 3.5. The one that served 2 may have been because he turned himself in. He heard the story the next day on the news and the pieces started coming together. He had no idea when he woke up Sunday morning he had hit someone.
Holy shit balls. That's ****ing crazy.

Holy shit. Did he see a dent / blood on his car or something and then heard about it and that clued him in?!

Holy shit. Did he see a dent / blood on his car or something and then heard about it and that clued him in?!
No. He said they were talking about the accident, where it happened, and the model of car they believed it was and so on. Then he said some memories started coming back and he thought he remembered hitting something. Then he went and looked at his car and it was obvious. He sat there and cried for an hour then went to the police station.

No. He said they were talking about the accident, where it happened, and the model of car they believed it was and so on. Then he said some memories started coming back and he thought he remembered hitting something. Then he went and looked at his car and it was obvious. He sat there and cried for an hour then went to the police station.

Wow, unbelievable. That sinking feeling everyone as had at some point x 1,000,000.

I'll never understand why people get behind a wheel that drunk. It should be so hardwired in that it's not an option no matter how obliterated you are.

Pretty eerie seeing that photo of the couple leaving the reception in the article. The tragic accident had to have happened only minutes after that photo was taken.

What kind of lives have they ended up living as adults, post incarceration?

The one I worked with had gotten his shit together, stayed sober, got married, and had their first kid within 3 years of getting out. Haven't talked to him in years though. He was a good dude that made a bad decision (realistically, probably quite a few bad decisions. Guessing it wasn't his first time drunk driving). I hope he stayed sober.

The one that turned himself in moved after he got out. Doesn't have any social media and no one he hung out with at the time had heard from him. I imagine he wanted to start over fresh.

The other guy, by all accounts, is a good dude now. Married with kids in his early 30s. I haven't seen or talked to him in years. He was 20 when his happened, and it's a miracle he did that little of time. His was really bad.

I wonder if the golf cart had lights. The bitch that was drunk would probably get away with it if the cart was being operated at night illegally. I hope not though.

• Sad
Reactions: Hawki97
I wonder if the golf cart had lights. The bitch that was drunk would probably get away with it if the cart was being operated at night illegally. I hope not though.
Foley Beach is pretty well lit and there are a lot of people that use bicycles and golf carts. It’s like Hilton Head, but definitely not as populated and crowded b

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Foley Beach is pretty well lit and there are a lot of people that use bicycles and golf carts. It’s like Hilton Head, but definitely not as populated and crowded b
They also do a hefty cart rental so they would be up to snuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT