ADVERTISEMENT

Bridge Collapse Baltimore

just for context: The 35W bridge collapsed over the Mississippi in Minnesota on Aug. 1, 2007.

The House voted Aug. 3 to spend $250 million to rebuild the bridge. The vote was 421-0.

It passed the Senate by unanimous consent after an amendment was adopted by unanimous consent. House adopted the new version by UC, as well.

The bill was signed into law by President Bush Aug. 6.

• Love
Reactions: billanole
Have you been in 40 degree water? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we had to shut down our city pool at 65 degrees when gas was being curtailed because it quickly becomes unsafe below that, and 65 was fkin cold when I was in it.

You fall from that height into mid 40s spring/winter water littered with bridge debris and the odds are highly against you.
Sounds like a two of the 8 construction workers that were on the road up there when it collapsed have survived and were rescued. Be interesting to find out where they were when it collapsed.

430614386_708400201490294_5616791031687521024_n.jpg

just for context: The 35W bridge collapsed over the Mississippi in Minnesota on Aug. 1, 2007.

The House voted Aug. 3 to spend $250 million to rebuild the bridge. The vote was 421-0.

It passed the Senate by unanimous consent after an amendment was adopted by unanimous consent. House adopted the new version by UC, as well.

The bill was signed into law by President Bush Aug. 6.

What are the odds that Republicans try to say that Baltimore should fund it's own bridge??

Great work by the police.

good to hear that they more then likely saved a few more lives and this should help rule out any terrorism attack nonsense that’s out there.

It was also interesting to listen to as you hear most of the guys being like I hate my job I’ll go block traffic even though it will be for nothing.
Then it’s like holy shit the bridge is gone!
I don’t know about traffic from the other side because the bridge is gone.

Can’t imagine what it might have been like being one of those stopped vehicles at that moment.

Mn/DOT announced on September 19, 2007, that Flatiron Constructors and Manson Construction Co. would build the replacement bridge for $234 million.
The I-35W Saint Anthony Falls Bridge was opened to the public on September 18, 2008, at 5 a.m.

how many bridges have been taken out in the last 50 years?

Designing for safety should be a proactive pursuit, not a reactive one, whenever possible. I hardly want engineers waiting around for accidents to happen before they design to prevent the accident. It seems reasonably foreseeable to me that either through negligence or bad luck, there is a likelihood of a pier in a major port getting hit eventually. This is a multi-billion dollar infrastructure investment that is heavily traveled every day. We have guardrails on interstates at bridge underpasses for the same reason.

I admit that there is perhaps a reasonable engineering explanation. This could be a case of me just not knowing enough about the topic.

Yeah, that's hard to get out of all the nooks and crannies that at tunnel has if a truck driver watching Season 2 of Stranger Things rolls his truck in it. .
I once worked on a project for a nuclear pharmacy in the Baltimore area which prepared doses of radioactive contrast imaging agents for hospitals. The pharmacy operation was quite simple compounding (though all of the equipment bore names that were legacies of manhattan project codes). But what was really fascinating was the delivery logistics. Typically, a facility's order would be something like "I need 200 millicuries of technitium sestamibi for 0830 tomorrow," and of course, since the product was decaying once it was compounded, you had to prepare it for higher than that amount and then make certain assumptions in terms of delivery times and decay rates depending on the isotope. And, as noted, the delivery routes and current traffic conditions were a huge part of that, as their trucks could not go through the harbor tunnels. The last room in the facility had a huge monitor showing their truck locations, routes, etc.

The video cuts off before Biden finishes his answer. My guess is the plan is for the federal government to pay up front to get the bridge rebuilt as quickly as possible and then pursue subrogation with the shipping company and any insurance they carry.
That makes the most sense. I guess some want to let the wreckage sit there for years while the process plays out in court.

Sometimes I think people are simply blinded by politics.

The video cuts off before Biden finishes his answer. My guess is the plan is for the federal government to pay up front to get the bridge rebuilt as quickly as possible and then pursue subrogation with the shipping company and any insurance they carry.
Also have limitations with competing claims. On top of having to prove liability

Reactions: lucas80

Subrogation? You mean them terrorist illegals crossing our border every day are using subs now?

Reactions: TJ8869
20210729-DJI_0402-Edit.jpg

Something that strikes me about the former bridge is that both of the piers holding the suspended section each had only three support points. Had the piers risen vertically from the bottom base of four concrete posts and not closed, the bridge would have had twelve support points instead of six. I doubt that would have mattered last night, but it may have for a smaller collision. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, but given the size of the ships that crossed under the bridge, as well as the minimal protection for the piers in the shipping channels, it seems like a bridge that was unnecessarily vulnerable.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT