ADVERTISEMENT

Bridge Collapse Baltimore

Some final destination type stuff.
Wanna see some real final destination shit? This is a pretty famous crash on the opening lap of the Indy 500 back in the 90s. That's Stan Foxx and yes his car literally ripped in half and was spinning through the catch fence at 200 miles per hour with his legs hanging out. He survived this crash. But then he died a few years later off the track in a straight up car accident in Australia.

file-stan-fox-his-legs-exposed-sits-in-his-airborne-car-after-the-front-end-was-torn-off-while-slamming-into-the-first-turn-wall-on-the-opening-lap-of-the-indianapolis-500-may-28-1995-foxs-car-had-collided-with-eddie-cheevers-right-both-hitting-the-wall-foxs-legs-were-uninjured-but-he-was-hospitalized-with-serious-head-injuries-following-a-deadly-crash-in-1973-indianapolis-motor-speedway-put-a-number-of-safeguards-in-place-and-eventually-indy-car-cockpits-were-repositioned-to-protect-the-legs-and-feet-of-drivers-and-tubs-were-made-of-stronger-safer-materials-to-increase-safety-2R49TEK.jpg

Reactions: noleclone2
Anyone who wasn’t concussed in the collapse and made it out of their cars to get to oxygen would have swam to shore by now. Always someone who defies the odds.
Have you been in 40 degree water? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we had to shut down our city pool at 65 degrees when gas was being curtailed because it quickly becomes unsafe below that, and 65 was fkin cold when I was in it.

You fall from that height into mid 40s spring/winter water littered with bridge debris and the odds are highly against you.

1200ft wide span and the ship looked like it just drilled the pillar straight on. Unless there was a complete failure of the ship’s steering systems, that almost seems like it had to be deliberate.
Guess they should have loaded that steering control computer update.

Have you been in 40 degree water? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but we had to shut down our city pool at 65 degrees when gas was being curtailed because it quickly becomes unsafe below that, and 65 was fkin cold when I was in it.

You fall from that height into mid 40s spring/winter water littered with bridge debris and the odds are highly against you.
It’s 48 right now. Cold as all get out, but it could be done. Life or death, it’s not that far for everyone, some would have been closer to shore.

Anyone who wasn’t concussed in the collapse and made it out of their cars to get to oxygen would have swam to shore by now. Always someone who defies the odds.
I mentioned the Skyway collapse in Tampa in another post. In that case the one survivor that went over the edge was a retired navy guy that credited that training for escaping his truck and surviving.

Wanna see some real final destination shit? This is a pretty famous crash on the opening lap of the Indy 500 back in the 90s. That's Stan Foxx and yes his car literally ripped in half and was spinning through the catch fence at 200 miles per hour with his legs hanging out. He survived this crash. But then he died a few years later off the track in a straight up car accident in Australia.

file-stan-fox-his-legs-exposed-sits-in-his-airborne-car-after-the-front-end-was-torn-off-while-slamming-into-the-first-turn-wall-on-the-opening-lap-of-the-indianapolis-500-may-28-1995-foxs-car-had-collided-with-eddie-cheevers-right-both-hitting-the-wall-foxs-legs-were-uninjured-but-he-was-hospitalized-with-serious-head-injuries-following-a-deadly-crash-in-1973-indianapolis-motor-speedway-put-a-number-of-safeguards-in-place-and-eventually-indy-car-cockpits-were-repositioned-to-protect-the-legs-and-feet-of-drivers-and-tubs-were-made-of-stronger-safer-materials-to-increase-safety-2R49TEK.jpg
I was at that 500! had seats right at the end of pit row via a buddy's father in law, who was cfo of a trucking company. no one thought he was coming out alive

how'd you like to be the cargo ship that just finished loading or unloading, and was due to be next out of port.
Probably filing a claim against the owner of the ship that hit the bridge right now.
In aerial footage you can see thousands upon thousands of containers sitting at the port facilities. A lot of them will have to be humped back onto trucks or rail cars to be sent to another port.

God bless Fox News. I was on the treadmill at 6:30 and flipped to their coverage because they still do live events pretty well, but was sadly not shocked when Steve Douchey called it an "alleged accident", and someone asked why there hadn't been a statement from Joe Biden, and why wasn't Pete Buttigieg on the scene already?

Could be done but it would be single digit survivors that could pull that off.
Maybe just 1. Odds if not being concussed on impact or severely injured almost zero many. That’s a monster fall, high velocity impact, for most. People nearer to shore in very specific locations where the freefall was impeded and less distance to swim.

God bless Fox News. I was on the treadmill at 6:30 and flipped to their coverage because they still do live events pretty well, but was sadly not shocked when Steve Douchey called it an "alleged accident", and someone asked why there hadn't been a statement from Joe Biden, and why wasn't Pete Buttigieg on the scene already?
alleged accident is technically correct but kind of sus.

the other 2 points are fart noises.

Reactions: Ree4
In the video I've seen of the accident one clip is from the opposite side as the one the ship was coming from. At the immediate time of impact there was a flash, which I assume was a wall of water coming up as the ship went up and over the barrier protecting the supports for the bridge.
Side point about reconstruction, I assume that the approaches and undamaged sections will be used in the replacement span. So, maybe that takes a few years off the effort, but it will be months to pull all the debris out of the water and clear the channel. Maybe some smaller ships get out before that, but it's going to be months to get anything approaching normal traffic in and out of the port.

Reactions: noleclone2
I mean, wouldn't this bankrupt the shipping company. I can't fathom the cost of rebuilding a 1.6 mile bridge.
Probably not. Maritime law will be invoked, and losses will likely be limited to the value of the ship itself. Pensacola just went through this with Skanska after their construction barges got loose and destroyed large sections of the newly built bridge between Pensacola and Gulf Breeze.

Reactions: goldmom
Does that not look like it turned right into the support?
The FBI has already announced there’s no specific or credible information to anything suspicious and the White House said there’s nothing nefarious going on.

I have underestimated our amazing and efficient government once again, as one might logically assume the investigation into an incident like this would take a couple months instead of a couple hours.

So I ask you as to your insinuation that the ship turned directly towards the bridge support; who you gonna believe - the feds…or your own lying eyes? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I went to bed around 1:45 last night and thought I felt what was a tiny earthquake right before

What a mess. It will be interesting to see if enhanced pier protection becomes a requirement on existing and future bridges. I’m not sure how feasible it would be when dealing with ships of that size though.

Last edited:
That bridge just seemed to come down too easily.
A 95,000 ton ship will do that.

It was constructed by the Korean Hyundai shipyard in 2015 and is 300 metres long (985 feet), 48 metres wide and 24.8 metres tall, with gross tonnage of 95,000 tonnes, making it an average-sized container ship.

A 95,000 ton ship will do that.

It was constructed by the Korean Hyundai shipyard in 2015 and is 300 metres long (985 feet), 48 metres wide and 24.8 metres tall, with gross tonnage of 95,000 tonnes, making it an average-sized container ship.

Those are OPs mom level dimensions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT