ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Purdy is pretty impressive…

Yes I’d have the same opinion. I’m not bashing him, just laying out the situation he was gifted. Put him on the Bears and tell me he’s a good quarterback. He’s fine in his current situation, but I guarantee you the 49ers aren’t looking at him as a 10 year franchise qb yet. They had Jimmy “made of glass” G as their QB who did pretty good also, when he wasn’t injured. I don’t think they’re going to trade for someone, but I could see them spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick hoping to find someone that can push Purdy.
FWIW. after last season, the 49ers could have signed or drafted or traded for a QB but didn't.

When they missed the extra point, I knew they wouldn't win.
With Mahomes on the other team, the missed point after didn't make one bit of difference in my thinking, because if the Chiefs were down 4 instead of 3 under two minutes or less then Mahomes would have got them in the endzone for 6.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Saban offered Purdy a scholly.

The only QB that would have gotten a sniff at Bama from Iowa in the last 20 years was CJB and Old ball coach had him riding the bench in 2014.

QB evaluation and development at Iowa is extremely poor. If you cannot see this then I can’t help you.

We haven’t gotten QB1 play that looks anything like Purdy since CJB left. It’s been 7 years.

Yes I’d have the same opinion. I’m not bashing him, just laying out the situation he was gifted. Put him on the Bears and tell me he’s a good quarterback. He’s fine in his current situation, but I guarantee you the 49ers aren’t looking at him as a 10 year franchise qb yet. They had Jimmy “made of glass” G as their QB who did pretty good also, when he wasn’t injured. I don’t think they’re going to trade for someone, but I could see them spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick hoping to find someone that can push Purdy.

They are absolutely not using a high draft pick on a QB. They are going to lose a lot of guys this offseason. the 49ers front office and coaching staff love Purdy, he's still going to be one of the cheapest QB's in the league next year, and they are going to do everything they can to win the Super Bowl next year and aren't going to be using high draft picks on a settled position.

As for Purdy, man got to be tough losing another close game where your special teams blow a punt and mess up an extra point, but ISU prepared him well on how to deal with stuff like that.

How do you not put McCaffrey in space with the ball and let him do his thing. That's the biggest problem with the 49rs playcalling.

The thing that bothers me is obviously this Iowa staff has no knowledge of how to run a good balanced offense. Let me say also that I sure don't know how either.

I do know that Hayden Fry changed the Big Two and Little Eight by having an offense that could do both. How many Iowa WRs or QBs under Hayden ever played in the NFL with much success? Maybe one or two of each. Yet with Long and Hartlieb and Rodgers at QB and others and guys like Helverson and Happel and several others, they won and were entertaining at the same time. Hayden said they wanted to win and look good doing it. I believe they did that.

Good QB, no doubt, but do you honestly think he's a franchise quarterback?
Only time will tell but legendary QB’s are becoming scarce. SF is giving him good coaching, good schemes and a good supporting cast.
McCaffrey is player with genetically superior talent and smarts and I’d bet he’s a big mentoring help to Purdy He’s going to have trouble walking by the time he’s in his 50’s though.

In fairness, Mahomes would probably look like an average quarterback on the Bears.
I will respectfully disagree. Mahomes is a generational talent. He is incredibly talented and a leader on and off the field that gets the best out of everyone around him. He is active in the community and despite all the commercials, Super Bowls and the other outside noise (his dad, his knucklehead brother, wifey gets ripped on), he is remarkably humble and grounded. He would immediately transform any franchise he plays for, IMHO.

As a Steelers fan, I hate it, but living in Kansas City, it is pretty incredible to witness. When I moved here in 1996 and for quite a while after, I despised the Chiefs. They were ultra-conservative, Carl Peterson was an arrogant prick and the team had plenty of unlikeable players. My opinion has changed over the years. I will gladly give Mahomes and the Chiefs the respect they deserve even though I know their success makes it that much harder for the Steelers, as it should.

As for Purdy, man got to be tough losing another close game where your special teams blow a punt and mess up an extra point, but ISU prepared him well on how to deal with stuff like that.
A mediocre to poor punt that hits a blocker isn't really a special teams error, it's just bad luck and a really big swing. The missed extra point was clearly a poor kick. KC got away with a low line drive FG that just missed being blocked by inches. There were just a few more random breaks that went KC's way than SF's, and those were the difference in the game.

FWIW. after last season, the 49ers could have signed or drafted or traded for a QB but didn't.

A mediocre to poor punt that hits a blocker isn't really a special teams error, it's just bad luck and a really big swing. The missed extra point was clearly a poor kick. KC got away with a low line drive FG that just missed being blocked by inches. There were just a few more random breaks that went KC's way than SF's, and those were the difference in the game.

We’ll agree to disagree. Poor communication on the field lead to a guy trying to put a block on somebody when the ball wasn’t even going to be caught. That’s not bad luck to me.

We’ll agree to disagree. Poor communication on the field lead to a guy trying to put a block on somebody when the ball wasn’t even going to be caught. That’s not bad luck to me.
I think you are overestimating the ability for players in this situation to communicate, with one of them attempting to do one of the most difficult things in football (an open-field block) in a noisy stadium. And even if the blocker is able to hear and stop blocking, it's going to be almost impossible for him to find the ball and avoid it. He would be almost as likely to be randomly struck by the ball if he stopped blocking as if he continued.

Reactions: RileyHawk
McCaffrey is already doing a LOT for the Niners.
Not utilizing him as a passing threat more is just ridiculous. Maybe they are trying to keep him healthy, but it's the superbowl. That guy in space can take it to the house. Maybe having Young and Bosa limits the amount of things you can do if you need that extra blocker.

I think you are overestimating the ability for players in this situation to communicate, with one of them attempting to do one of the most difficult things in football (an open-field block) in a noisy stadium. And even if the blocker is able to hear and stop blocking, it's going to be almost impossible for him to find the ball and avoid it. He would be almost as likely to be randomly struck by the ball if he stopped blocking as if he continued.
Maybe they should wave their arm or something. What could go wrong with that?

Purdy had a pretty damn good game - and if they weren't playing a now 3 time SB champion his performance would have been good enough to where his team won. AND, they only lost because they (like many recent teams/years before them) got beat via a Drive For The Ages by a QB who will now be considered one of the all time of all timer QB's in NFL history.

The Chiefs beat Jackson, beat Tua, beat Allen (three so-called franchise quarterbacks) - and now beat Purdy. These 4 went up against arguably the best defense in the NFL this season and go figure - they ALL lost.

Just who could have these 4 teams have had at QB in the current NFL that would have made the difference in these games?

There's Patrick Mahomes - then EVERYBODY else. That's it - that's the list of true, no doubt about it Franchise Quarterbacks in the current NFL.

Joe Burrow.

The hate some have for Purdy is hilarious. Yes he's a franchise QB. Last week on McAfee they told the story that after his first mini camp Shanahan went to the owner and the GM and told them Purdy was the best QB on the team and it wasn't even close. This was right after they traded all their draft picks for Trey. How some people can't see how good he is truly is laughable. This is coming from a diehard Hawkeye fan. He was in the top 5 in the MVP voting for crying out loud.

So does Shanahan. The point being they did sign another quality QB to compete. Darnold has looked very good in his opportunities as well.
Every starting QB in the league would look pretty good with all those weapons. It's not a knock on BP, but with 3-4 future HOF guys on your offense, expectations are pretty high.

Can you imagine how lopsided that game would have been if the teams swapped QB'S?

He's good, but he's not great. They couldn't get first downs when they needed them and had to settle for too many FG'S. 3-12 on third downs isn't beating Mahomes and Reid.

Every starting QB in the league would look pretty good with all those weapons. It's not a knock on BP, but with 3-4 future HOF guys on your offense, expectations are pretty high.

Can you imagine how lopsided that game would have been if the teams swapped QB'S?

He's good, but he's not great. They couldn't get first downs when they needed them and had to settle for too many FG'S. 3-12 on third downs isn't beating Mahomes and Reid.
Josh Allen went 26/39 66.6% 186 yards 1 TD vs. the Chiefs.

Lamar Jackson went 20/37 54% 272 yards 1 TD 1 INT.

Purdy was 23/38 60.5% 255 yards 1 TD 0 INTs.

Of course, this is just one game, but I think Purdy’s performance speaks for itself. He was not the reason San Francisco lost, and I believe a lot of San Fran’s third down conversion problems were largely due to penalties or negative plays that often put them in 3rd and long.

No one is claiming Brock Purdy is the next Tom Brady, but it’s time to give him his due. He is moving up into the upper tier of quarterbacks in the NFL.

Of course, this is just one game, but I think Purdy’s performance speaks for itself. He was not the reason San Francisco lost, and I believe a lot of San Fran’s third down conversion problems were largely due to penalties or negative plays that often put them in 3rd and long.

No one is claiming Brock Purdy is the next Tom Brady, but it’s time to give him his due. He is moving up into the upper tier of quarterbacks in the NFL.
FWIW, Tom Brady was a late round draft choice as well, and he received a lot of the same criticism.

If Josh Allen had McCaffrey, Aiyuk, Samuel, and Kittle KC wouldn't have been playing Sunday.

SF was incredibly fortunate to beat GB and Detroit. Dropped passes, a missed FG, terrible coaching decisions, and dropped INT'S helped get SF to the Super Bowl, not the great play of BP. That was one of the more fortunate runs to a Super Bowl I can recall.

I'm not bashing the kid, seems like a good dude, but he's not a top QB in the league. He moves well and is accurate with short to medium range throws but he doesn't have the arm strength to push the ball down field like teams are looking for.

If he's smart he'll sign a very team friendly deal, less than market value for a top 15 QB, allowing SF to keep top talent around him. If he wants $40 million + a year and SF agrees to that, they'll regret it.

• Haha
If Josh Allen had McCaffrey, Aiyuk, Samuel, and Kittle KC wouldn't have been playing Sunday.

SF was incredibly fortunate to beat GB and Detroit. Dropped passes, a missed FG, terrible coaching decisions, and dropped INT'S helped get SF to the Super Bowl, not the great play of BP. That was one of the more fortunate runs to a Super Bowl I can recall.

I'm not bashing the kid, seems like a good dude, but he's not a top QB in the league. He moves well and is accurate with short to medium range throws but he doesn't have the arm strength to push the ball down field like teams are looking for.

If he's smart he'll sign a very team friendly deal, less than market value for a top 15 QB, allowing SF to keep top talent around him. If he wants $40 million + a year and SF agrees to that, they'll regret it.
After losing to the Broncos, the Bills started averaging 27 points a game. Josh Allen has a few weapons. IIRC, the 49ers have dealt with injuries on the offensive side of the ball.

Regardless, I think you’re trying too hard.

• Haha
Reactions: gojojo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT