ADVERTISEMENT

Brotherly Love: The Sandforts Reunite in Iowa City

Eliot Clough

HR All-American
Staff
Jan 11, 2023
iowa.rivals.com
We got the chance to speak with some members of the 2023 men's basketball squad today. One thing stood out among the rest -- the Sandfort bros are back on the court together, and things definitely get heated from time to time between the brothers.

Story:

Reactions: Franisdaman
Combined, they need to avg over 20 a game. Love them, need them to big time producers

Reactions: amahawk
We got the chance to speak with some members of the 2023 men's basketball squad today. One thing stood out among the rest -- the Sandfort bros are back on the court together, and things definitely get heated from time to time between the brothers.

Story:

Is this Tony's last year? Or will he take the free covid year and play in 2024-2025?

I love his stoic demeanor. He looks like hes in his 30s. Did anyone check his birth certificate?

never forget baseball GIF

He's got documentation (stuffs a $20 in his pocket)

I feel like Krikke is significantly under-hyped by Iowa fans. If he had drawn out his recruitment for a few weeks, and visited a few more Power 5 schools, I think the fan base would be ecstatic to have him on the team.
I agree, its part of why I think that once again Iowa will have no trouble scoring.

This guy will be the second best scoring big Fran has had only behind Garza.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I feel like Krikke is significantly under-hyped by Iowa fans. If he had drawn out his recruitment for a few weeks, and visited a few more Power 5 schools, I think the fan base would be ecstatic to have him on the team.

I agree, its part of why I think that once again Iowa will have no trouble scoring.

This guy will be the second best scoring big Fran has had only behind Garza.

Krikke is listed at 6'9, 235. For those who haven't listened to the video above, Krikke said 60-70 schools reached out right away when he entered the transfer portal. Why did he pick Iowa? Partially because Iowa was the first of those 60-70 to reach out. Krikke led the MVC in scoring last year for Valparaiso; he averaged 19.4 points, 5.9 rebounds, .9 blocks, and 2.1 assists. Overall he shot 55% from the field (and 28% from 3). He's a good free throw shooter, too (80%).

In the Bowen video: Dasonte said that of the 4 freshmen, Owen Freeman stands out; Dasonte also has praise for Brock Harding.

Loads of potential on this team. Hopefully a few take "the next step" and get in the All B1G discussion.

It's been a while now since the Hawks haven't a Garza or Murray on the team. Hopefully everyone sees that as an opportunity to fill part of that void.

Excellent year to have a foreign trip. Lots of new pieces.

Loads of potential on this team. Hopefully a few take "the next step" and get in the All B1G discussion.

It's been a while now since the Hawks haven't a Garza or Murray on the team. Hopefully everyone sees that as an opportunity to fill part of that void.

Excellent year to have a foreign trip. Lots of new pieces.
And when they did the results weren't much different than when they didn't.

I'd say Iowa has 3 players who could legit contend for first team honors in Krikke, Tony P, and Sandfort. Usually there's one guy on Fran's teams who is a clear favorite in the preseason. While that's not the case right now it's not often you see a bank of guys who could be that guy.

really would be a great thing if Btauns is 6'10. that and he has 2 years left. if he progresses like Filip, that will go a long way to replace Krikke in the 24-25 season.

for the 24-25 season the front court could look like this
RSSR 6'10 Brauns
SR 7'0 Mulvey
SO 6'11 Freeman
? FR to be determined as Fran is still looking at 2 bigs
6'10 Ngomgba out of Virginia
6'10 Bamgboye out of Arizona
either one would be a very good addition, as both can play the 4-5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT