ADVERTISEMENT

Last night, Feb 26, Jack McCaffery made it clear he won't be attending Iowa

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Good for him. As you will see/read, he's very mature & has thought it through. I hope he kicks ass wherever he ends up.

The story from the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

Jack McCaffery’s future does not include Iowa

Iowa City West forward is considered the top junior in the state, but he does not want to play college ball for his dad at the University of Iowa

Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson
Cedar Rapids Gazette
Feb. 26, 2024 7:27 pm, Updated: Feb. 26, 2024 7:48 pm

West’s Jack McCaffery (22) shoots during a substate semifinal game between Iowa City West and Davenport North at West High School in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday, Feb. 23, 2024. (Nick Rohlman/The Gazette)

IOWA CITY — Jack McCaffery was asked Friday night after his Iowa City West team had won its Class 4A substate semifinal game if he still wasn’t planning on playing college basketball for the University of Iowa.

“Oh, no, no, no,” he said.

The 6-foot-8 forward is widely considered the top player in the state in the junior class, a top 100 recruit nationally. He’s the youngest son of Hawkeyes men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery.

But he created a bit of a stir around these parts last summer when he told a recruiting reporter he didn’t want to stay in Iowa City for college and play for his dad. He didn’t want to follow his brothers Connor and Patrick to Iowa.

He was asked Friday night why he felt that way.

“It was really hard for my brothers, and it was really hard for my mom (Margaret),” Jack said. “The fans, they were especially tough on Connor, because a lot of people don’t understand how he affects a basketball game. So that was part of it. He’s a coach on the floor, the all-time wins leader. I don’t know ...

“I saw that, and I didn’t like that. I just wanted to try something different.”

So instead of dealing with negative keyboard warriors and such, he will — as Fleetwood Mac sang — go his own way.

“Blaze my own path, do something different than my brothers did,” Jack said. “I just wanted to see what it’s like. I really like the (recruiting) process that’s happening right now, the coaches that are recruiting me. I think it’s the right decision for me. I think doing something different will really help me.”

McCaffery goes into West’s substate final game Tuesday night against Bettendorf at the Alliant Energy PowerHouse averaging 15.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.8 blocked shots per game. All those numbers lead the Trojans.

He has a long body that has added weight and strength the past year, has a nice fadeaway jump shot. He feels he’s definitely a better player who still has room to grow physically and in his game.

“I’m up to 218 (pounds), so the weight is a big difference,” McCaffery said. “Last season, teams were just way too physical (for me), and I couldn’t do anything. So I feel definitely like that’s the biggest thing. I feel like I’m jumping better, a lot better. I’ve really worked on my athleticism. I got a summer of lifting (weights) three times a week, and during the season I’ve been lifting two times a week.

“I feel that’s been a big help for my game. Then it’s really working on my ball-handling. I feel like I can create my shot a lot better than a year ago. So I just feel like all those things put together are going to help me be a lot better player.”

So what schools have piqued McCaffery’s interests the most to this point? He mentioned Butler, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech.

A decision will not be coming soon. He’ll let things play out this spring and summer, likely take some official visits in the fall.

“I really love Butler. I’ve visited it twice,” he said. “I was there last Saturday, and Hinkel (Fieldhouse) was rocking. I love Coach (Thad) Matta, he’s one of my favorite people. (Assistant) Coach (Alex) Barlow and Coach (Maurice) Joseph have really been recruiting me well. Coach (Jon) Diebler. So I feel like that’s a good place right now.

“Ohio State was on me hard until that whole thing (Coach Chris Holtmann was fired) just happened. I really like Wake Forest. Coach (Steve) Forbes was here, then his assistant came, so that was good. Those are probably the main three.”

Seventh-ranked West (18-3) shoots for its first state tournament trip since 2020 on Tuesday night when it plays Bettendorf (16-6). Bettendorf’s Caden Wilkins is one of the top seniors in the state.

Comments: jeff.johnson@thegazette.com

Same HS ranking as his brothers but lets be honest.... it's not like he has a mountain to climb in terms of college production to be considered the best of the 3.
Yeah, I think the move would be best for both parties. IMHO I would like Iowa to start recruiting more on a national level anyway - unfortunately never making it to the sweet 16 does not entice elite players from even considering Iowa…🥲

Yeah, I think the move would be best for both parties. IMHO I would like Iowa to start recruiting more on a national level anyway - unfortunately never making it to the sweet 16 does not entice elite players from even considering Iowa…🥲
I agree best for both parties even if he is better than his brothers. The nepotism is hard to tolerate by a lot of fans.

Last edited:
And there you have it keyboard warriors. Your insatiable negativity does have an effect and can in fact hurt the team you supposedly support.

Iowa is missing out on a good player. Hope you all are proud of yourselves
Seriously? There are other reasons to leave and you know it. One of which is the fan base is tired of nepotism. Others could be personal.

Last edited:
I watched Jack at a game this year. What impressed me the most was his passing and court leadership. He was constantly calling out info to his team while on the court. His shot looks good, but it didn't appear he is an elite shooter. As far as shooting, I believe his fade away shot is is best.

In the only game I saw, he did lose his composure and was given a T. This only happened after Fran and Margaret were complaining. IMO, Fran was at Francon 5-6. West was in the lead and him swearing at the ref was not called for, the game was essentially decided.

And there you have it keyboard warriors. Your insatiable negativity does have an effect and can in fact hurt the team you supposedly support.

Iowa is missing out on a good player. Hope you all are proud of yourselves

lol. Saw Dubuque Senior lock him down for 5 points a few weeks back. I’m pretty sure the Iowa bball program will recover from such a loss

Good for him. As you will see/read, he's very mature & has thought it through. I hope he kicks ass wherever he ends up.

The story from the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

Jack McCaffery’s future does not include Iowa

Iowa City West forward is considered the top junior in the state, but he does not want to play college ball for his dad at the University of Iowa

Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson
Cedar Rapids Gazette
Feb. 26, 2024 7:27 pm, Updated: Feb. 26, 2024 7:48 pm

West’s Jack McCaffery (22) shoots during a substate semifinal game between Iowa City West and Davenport North at West High School in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday, Feb. 23, 2024. (Nick Rohlman/The Gazette)

IOWA CITY — Jack McCaffery was asked Friday night after his Iowa City West team had won its Class 4A substate semifinal game if he still wasn’t planning on playing college basketball for the University of Iowa.

“Oh, no, no, no,” he said.

The 6-foot-8 forward is widely considered the top player in the state in the junior class, a top 100 recruit nationally. He’s the youngest son of Hawkeyes men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery.

But he created a bit of a stir around these parts last summer when he told a recruiting reporter he didn’t want to stay in Iowa City for college and play for his dad. He didn’t want to follow his brothers Connor and Patrick to Iowa.

He was asked Friday night why he felt that way.

“It was really hard for my brothers, and it was really hard for my mom (Margaret),” Jack said. “The fans, they were especially tough on Connor, because a lot of people don’t understand how he affects a basketball game. So that was part of it. He’s a coach on the floor, the all-time wins leader. I don’t know ...

“I saw that, and I didn’t like that. I just wanted to try something different.”

So instead of dealing with negative keyboard warriors and such, he will — as Fleetwood Mac sang — go his own way.

“Blaze my own path, do something different than my brothers did,” Jack said. “I just wanted to see what it’s like. I really like the (recruiting) process that’s happening right now, the coaches that are recruiting me. I think it’s the right decision for me. I think doing something different will really help me.”

McCaffery goes into West’s substate final game Tuesday night against Bettendorf at the Alliant Energy PowerHouse averaging 15.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.8 blocked shots per game. All those numbers lead the Trojans.

He has a long body that has added weight and strength the past year, has a nice fadeaway jump shot. He feels he’s definitely a better player who still has room to grow physically and in his game.

“I’m up to 218 (pounds), so the weight is a big difference,” McCaffery said. “Last season, teams were just way too physical (for me), and I couldn’t do anything. So I feel definitely like that’s the biggest thing. I feel like I’m jumping better, a lot better. I’ve really worked on my athleticism. I got a summer of lifting (weights) three times a week, and during the season I’ve been lifting two times a week.

“I feel that’s been a big help for my game. Then it’s really working on my ball-handling. I feel like I can create my shot a lot better than a year ago. So I just feel like all those things put together are going to help me be a lot better player.”

So what schools have piqued McCaffery’s interests the most to this point? He mentioned Butler, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech.

A decision will not be coming soon. He’ll let things play out this spring and summer, likely take some official visits in the fall.

“I really love Butler. I’ve visited it twice,” he said. “I was there last Saturday, and Hinkel (Fieldhouse) was rocking. I love Coach (Thad) Matta, he’s one of my favorite people. (Assistant) Coach (Alex) Barlow and Coach (Maurice) Joseph have really been recruiting me well. Coach (Jon) Diebler. So I feel like that’s a good place right now.

“Ohio State was on me hard until that whole thing (Coach Chris Holtmann was fired) just happened. I really like Wake Forest. Coach (Steve) Forbes was here, then his assistant came, so that was good. Those are probably the main three.”

Seventh-ranked West (18-3) shoots for its first state tournament trip since 2020 on Tuesday night when it plays Bettendorf (16-6). Bettendorf’s Caden Wilkins is one of the top seniors in the state.

Comments: jeff.johnson@thegazette.com

Butler is a good school and suburban Indianapolis is a great place to live.

I watched Jack at a game this year. What impressed me the most was his passing and court leadership. He was constantly calling out info to his team while on the court. His shot looks good, but it didn't appear he is an elite shooter. As far as shooting, I believe his fade away shot is is best.

In the only game I saw, he did lose his composure and was given a T. This only happened after Fran and Margaret were complaining. IMO, Fran was at Francon 5-6. West was in the lead and him swearing at the ref was not called for, the game was essentially decided.

Good to know his moronic temper travels. Can't leave Madge out on an island I guess.

BAU.

Hopefully that isn't where Caitlin Clark was enabled to be so demonstrative towards the refs.............

Seriously? There are other reasons to leave and you know. One of which is the fan basebis tired of nepotism. Others could be personal.
No shit. The fans reaction to the "nepotism" is the main thing we're all talking about here.

Whether nepotism has even is existed is clearly debatable. Both Connor and Pat are big ten players. Connor definitely affected winning. And if you haven't noticed, Pat is no longer in the starting lineup and Fran is not force feeding him minutes

lol. Saw Dubuque Senior lock him down for 5 points a few weeks back. I’m pretty sure the Iowa bball program will recover from such a loss
Because Iowa is the only university with negative fans. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The point is that the negativity can have an effect.

Sure people have a right to their opinion. Sure people have a right to express it. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

When having been surveyed the data shows that coaches have consistently answered that dealing with the community and parents is the worst part of their job.

Yes, the negativity has an effect. Nothing good can come from it. And negative fans act like it's their right to hurt the team they cheer for. Get a clue

Connor was a much better player than people give him credit for. He played injured a lot of his career as well.
You rarely questioned Connor’s effort and he played a valuable role even though his scoring ability never lived up to expectations. I suspect that I’m like most fans - I’m more willing to hang with a player who regularly busts his ass on the court to help the team win games.

You rarely questioned Connor’s effort and he played a valuable role even though his scoring ability never lived up to expectations. I suspect that I’m like most fans - I’m more willing to hang with a player who regularly busts his ass on the court to help the team win games.
He was a complimentary swiss army knife type of player that elevated the play of those around him. He was the team's tough guy and enforcer, could really play 4 if not 5 positions, could handle the ball, great passer, smart. When he was shooting from the perimeter well his teams were really tough to beat. Every team would love to have a Connor and every great team has one.

No shit. The fans reaction to the "nepotism" is the main thing we're all talking about here.

Whether nepotism has even is existed is clearly debatable. Both Connor and Pat are big ten players. Connor definitely affected winning. And if you haven't noticed, Pat is no longer in the starting lineup and Fran is not force feeding him minutes
Conner would not have played for most other Bigs with the same traits he had at Iowa. PM s demotion was for other reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT