ADVERTISEMENT

Last night, Feb 26, Jack McCaffery made it clear he won't be attending Iowa

Perhaps it isn't just social media and message boards.

Again, Hawkeye sports is part of the daily conversation in my workplace and it's not at all uncommon for me to hear people repeat something that's been posted on this board almost verbatim.

Two seasons ago in football (the 8-5 season) I recall a three week span in which (other than my own) I did not hear one positive comment about the football team. I'm talking in the community; not online. That's absolutely terrible.

This site probably makes up the largest section of the Hawkeye community other than the student body.

What I'm saying is very easy to understand. When the level of negativity in a community has become toxic it cannot possibly help a team. Why contribute to it? You guys just refuse to admit when you are wrong
And yet I NEVER heard anything repeated in the workplace (or anywhere else) that was anything close to being verbatim from this board. And the comments I hear are always overwhelmingly positive.

We get it.....you think Iowa fans are the worst, that nothing negative should ever be said....only sunshine and unicorns. You believe Iowa fans are a hateful group that are driving recruits away in droves (somebody tell Kadyn Proctor before it's too late!). And the toxic hate is destroying our teams (10 wins in football, men's BB routinely going to the ncaa tournament, Caitlin Clark, etc.). The horror!

You believe you are somehow better than everyone else, and that everyone should act the way YOU say they should. You probably cried when Lickliter was fired, and blamed fan negativity.

Negativity of Hawkeye fans is at a toxic level? Not even remotely true. But you refuse to admit you are wrong.

Where did I say they were unbeatable? Just that they were a bad matchup for Iowa with their speed on the frontcourt and our guards largely couldn’t keep up with them.

It also wasn’t helpful that they were the only team that advanced via forfeit and had that added adrenaline rush of their first tourney game.
These are college kids. They don’t need adrenaline rushes to play any game in the tourney. Oregon didn’t really gain anything from not playing that first round, except an automatic advancement. I’d rather be the team with one game under their belt like Iowa and everyone else.

Reactions: littlez and NI hawk
Yes, including the Mich and Tenn games which they would not have played had they not made the winning plays in key moments to have won 4 straight to get there.

You're free to disagree but to me the uptick in play was obvious
Maybe from the defense. The offense got worse!!!!

Reactions: 83Hawk
These are college kids. They don’t need adrenaline rushes to play any game in the tourney. Oregon didn’t really gain anything from not playing that first round, except an automatic advancement. I’d rather be the team with one game under their belt like Iowa and everyone else.
I don’t think it was a major factor, but i do think it played a role.

But again, that was in general a difficult matchup for Iowa - we’d seen on numerous occasions that teams with quick guards could give Iowa trouble, and Oregon had those in spades.

I actually disagree with this. That team needed to play slower being so efficient on offense. Should have played like the Wisconsin team with Kaminsky that was extremely efficient on offense which made them really hard to beat. But of course Fran can only coach one way. Agree with your comment if it's referring to the team that lost to Richmond. Play Kris and Toussaint over Connor and Bohannon and that team doesn't lose to Richmond.
Wisconsin plays slow but they also play very physical defense.

A large part of iowas offensive efficiency is pushing the ball, thats why it's always good regardless of the personnel.

Iowa was tougher to beat the year before when Toussaint was the starting pg and CJ was healthy and could play defense.

The best formula for winning that year was offsetting Garzas weak defense with guys who were decent at defense.

Garza could carry a team offensively. And he'd still have plenty of scoring help from JW and Keegan.

The idea that Garza needed everything to be perfect around him to score was silly, he was the best shooter on the team from anywhere on the floor.

I don’t think it was a major factor, but i do think it played a role.

But again, that was in general a difficult matchup for Iowa - we’d seen on numerous occasions that teams with quick guards could give Iowa trouble, and Oregon had those in spades.
Iowa had a short turnaround for this game. I believe around 36 hours. It definitely affected their legs. Not a quick team as noted, but they never had this short a time between games during the season.

Iowa had a short turnaround for this game. I believe around 36 hours. It definitely affected their legs. Not a quick team as noted, but they never had this short a time between games during the season.
Hmmmmmmm. Please do explain the 2021 Big Ten Basketball Tournament. Did they bend time when Iowa beat Wisconsin on a Thursday and then played Illinois the next day?? These are college kids. Playing four games in four days at a conference tournament can lead to tired legs the last couple games. Playing two games with a day of rest in between. Come on. That’s a bad take.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Hmmmmmmm. Please do explain the 2021 Big Ten Basketball Tournament. Did they bend time when Iowa beat Wisconsin on a Thursday and then played Illinois the next day?? These are college kids. Playing four games in four days at a conference tournament can lead to tired legs the last couple games. Playing two games with a day of rest in between. Come on. That’s a bad take.
Sure, The BTT all teams had short turnarounds. How many days did Oregon have off? No first round game, so they had 7-10 days off. Fresh legs make a difference, even in 19-21 year olds. You could even look at NBA games when teams play on short rest, there's a difference. Ask Vegas.

Reactions: sober_teacher
If it was the rest alone I’d fully agree, but don’t forget that Oregon also had the opportunity to prep solely for Iowa instead of focusing first on the initial opponent.

Biggest factor tho was that iowas biggest weakness - lack of quickness and agility on the perimeter played right into oregons biggest strength.

Perhaps it isn't just social media and message boards.

Again, Hawkeye sports is part of the daily conversation in my workplace and it's not at all uncommon for me to hear people repeat something that's been posted on this board almost verbatim.

Two seasons ago in football (the 8-5 season) I recall a three week span in which (other than my own) I did not hear one positive comment about the football team. I'm talking in the community; not online. That's absolutely terrible.

This site probably makes up the largest section of the Hawkeye community other than the student body.

What I'm saying is very easy to understand. When the level of negativity in a community has become toxic it cannot possibly help a team. Why contribute to it? You guys just refuse to admit when you are wrong
Go visit OSU's site or FLA's site or LSU's site or TX's site or UW's site or anyone of a 100 other sites. Listen to the radio in these areas, it's not solely your workplace or even Hawk fans. The negative, especially when teams are not winning championships, far outweighs the positive. It's not an Iowa thing, it's a fan thing and they exist everywhere, all over the country.

Go visit OSU's site or FLA's site or LSU's site or TX's site or UW's site or anyone of a 100 other sites. Listen to the radio in these areas, it's not solely your workplace or even Hawk fans. The negative, especially when teams are not winning championships, far outweighs the positive. It's not an Iowa thing, it's a fan thing and they exist everywhere, all over the country.
No ones arguing negative fans don’t exist in every fan base. What some here are arguing is that there some to made it personal-see the over the top attacks on Brian in football; or many of the comments towards Patrick in hoops. There were plenty that crossed the line imo, particularly the ones that mocked Patrick over his mental health battles.

And yet I NEVER heard anything repeated in the workplace (or anywhere else) that was anything close to being verbatim from this board. And the comments I hear are always overwhelmingly positive.

We get it.....you think Iowa fans are the worst, that nothing negative should ever be said....only sunshine and unicorns. You believe Iowa fans are a hateful group that are driving recruits away in droves (somebody tell Kadyn Proctor before it's too late!). And the toxic hate is destroying our teams (10 wins in football, men's BB routinely going to the ncaa tournament, Caitlin Clark, etc.). The horror!

You believe you are somehow better than everyone else, and that everyone should act the way YOU say they should. You probably cried when Lickliter was fired, and blamed fan negativity.

Negativity of Hawkeye fans is at a toxic level? Not even remotely true. But you refuse to admit you are wrong.
I work in a public setting made up of large groups of people who make sports their main topic of conversation for my 8 hours a day. Just because you haven't experienced the same thing I have doesn't mean that what I'm saying isn't true.

If you don't think that fan negativity around Iowa football the past couple years has been at an all-time high and has carried substantial force, you are simply an idiot.

As for basketball, you said it yourself. Everywhere that a son plays for his father they will be given a hard time. Well, that means in some cases the hard time isn't warranted (and fans are behaving inappropriately) because nepotism is not at play in all of these situations.

I have never said Iowa fans are the worst or that the toxicity is destroying Iowa's teams. I've said that if anything it can only hurt. And if I'm able to understand this and choose to not engage in activity that could possibly affect the play of the Hawks in a negative way, and others aren't, then yes, I am a better Hawkeye fan than they are.

Again, this is nothing other than common sense

Yes I'm aware that there are a lot of stupid, self- sabotaging fans everywhere

I work in a public setting made up of large groups of people who make sports their main topic of conversation for my 8 hours a day. Just because you haven't experienced the same thing I have doesn't mean that what I'm saying isn't true.

If you don't think that fan negativity around Iowa football the past couple years has been at an all-time high and has carried substantial force, you are simply an idiot.

As for basketball, you said it yourself. Everywhere that a son plays for his father they will be given a hard time. Well, that means in some cases the hard time isn't warranted (and fans are behaving inappropriately) because nepotism is not at play in all of these situations.

I have never said Iowa fans are the worst or that the toxicity is destroying Iowa's teams. I've said that if anything it can only hurt. And if I'm able to understand this and choose to not engage in activity that could possibly affect the play of the Hawks in a negative way, and others aren't, then yes, I am a better Hawkeye fan than they are.

Dude Iowa fans are actually tame compared to say Bama or TO$U football fans & Kentucky or Kansas basketball fans. Ferentz and McCaffery would have been fired within the first 5 years at those schools with their expectations. Most people I know that have any kind of success in life do not tolerate moral victories. Losing should not be ok at the college level, it's going to happen but nobody should be ok with it.

No ones arguing negative fans don’t exist in every fan base. What some here are arguing is that there some to made it personal-see the over the top attacks on Brian in football; or many of the comments towards Patrick in hoops. There were plenty that crossed the line imo, particularly the ones that mocked Patrick over his mental health battles.
I understand what you are saying and I am saying that it's as bad if not worse other places. You put coaches kids into an area where fans have an opinion. Some of those fans are going to attack the coach and the kids, it's just what happens. This is the board we look at so it looks worse, we see it everyday.

I understand what you are saying and I am saying that it's as bad if not worse other places. You put coaches kids into an area where fans have an opinion. Some of those fans are going to attack the coach and the kids, it's just what happens. This is the board we look at so it looks worse, we see it everyday.
Sure.

Opinions I’m fine with, it’s the personal attacks that I find depressing.

Patrick for example is a guy that has already fought cancer, dealt with mental issues, etc. he may not be the player we thought he might be, but he’s been a solid contributor for the most part. He certainly hasn’t deserved some of the crap that’s been flung at him.

Sure.

Opinions I’m fine with, it’s the personal attacks that I find depressing.

Patrick for example is a guy that has already fought cancer, dealt with mental issues, etc. he may not be the player we thought he might be, but he’s been a solid contributor for the most part. He certainly hasn’t deserved some of the crap that’s been flung at him.
I like Patrick. He’s had really good games in big moments. He also shouldn’t be starting for this team and he’s not anymore. Stating that isn’t a personal attack.

Sure, The BTT all teams had short turnarounds. How many days did Oregon have off? No first round game, so they had 7-10 days off. Fresh legs make a difference, even in 19-21 year olds. You could even look at NBA games when teams play on short rest, there's a difference. Ask Vegas.
I’ve seen stats on back to backs in the NBA. I haven’t seen stats on game day, rest day and then game day. In the NBA teams worry about travel between games. Not the case in the ncaa tourney.

I’ve seen stats on back to backs in the NBA. I haven’t seen stats on game day, rest day and then game day. In the NBA teams worry about travel between games. Not the case in the ncaa tourney.
BiG basketball schedules used to be Sat. and Monday. In stone almost, long time ago.

Nope. But you also know a number of posters didn’t stop there.
Can you provide evidence? Patrick seems like good, fun loving kid. Basketball might not even be his first priority and that's ok. Saying he coulda, shoulda played better is not a personal attack.

Can you provide evidence? Patrick seems like good, fun loving kid. Basketball might not even be his first priority and that's ok. Saying he coulda, shoulda played better is not a personal attack.
Feel free to explore game threads and such. They’re out there.

And good lord, the stuff people have said about Brian in the past…

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So Jack has a few offers out there. I'm sure he'll receive more throughout this summer's AAU circuit and other on site visits. Let's speculate where he will end up playing. What will influence his choices? Mom wants him close to home so she can get to games... Some listed below have not offered (yet) but are in close proximity.

Butler - Will Thad Motta still be the coach there?
Wake Forest - long way from home
Sienna - long way from home
Notre Dame
Creighton
Drake
Missouri
others?

Feel free to explore game threads and such. They’re out there.

And good lord, the stuff people have said about Brian in the past…
Brian is different. Patrick is a college kid. He’s trying his best. Brian is a grown man that has continually embarrassed the university and cost Iowa football winning many games (and championships) over the years. And he’s been paid a ton of money to do so. Brian might be the worst offensive coordinator in the history of power 5 modern football. That’s because everyone whose dad wasn’t the head coach would have been let go numerous times before January 1, 2024. It’s a combination that has led to the shambles our offense is currently in.

Last edited:

Just because you claim to hear almost nothing but negative comments from your coworkers does not make it representative of the fanbase as a whole.

You are focusing only on the negative comments you hear, and magnify them out of proportion. You want to dictate how fans act to confirm with your way of thinking.

I know you say you don't care about fans of other teams.....but the fact is: there is negativity everywhere. There always has been and always will be. To be honest, Hawk fans are one of the most positive, supportive, tolerant, and forgiving group of fans out there. As has been pointed out...Kirk and Fran likely would have been fired years ago at a lot of schools.

And please give me proof that comments from Hawks fans has affected play in a negative way. Sure....the are a few who are over the top (a VERY few), but I just don't think it affects play as much as you think it does. "Carried substantial force"? Bull. I don't agree with that at all. And I don't appreciate being called an idiot because I may have a different opinion than you, or don't see things your way.

Last edited:
Just because you claim to hear almost nothing but negative comments from your coworkers does not make it representative of the fanbase as a whole.

You are focusing only on the negative comments you hear, and magnify them out of proportion. You want to dictate how fans act to confirm with your way of thinking.

I know you say you don't care about fans of other teams.....but the fact is: there is negativity everywhere. There always has been and always will be. To be honest, Hawks fans are one of the most positive, supportive, and forgiving group of fans out there. As has been pointed out...Kirk and Fran likely would have been fired years ago at a lot of schools.

And please give me proof that comments from Hawks fans has affected play in a negative way. Sure....the are a few who are over the top (a VERY few), but I just don't think it affects play as much as you think it does. "Carried substantial force"? Bull. I don't agree with that at all. And I don't appreciate being called a idiot because I may have a different opinion than you.
This horse has been beaten to death already and continues to come back from the dead... it's fans doing stupid fan things on the internet... not going to change.

GIF by lolesports

Brian is different. Patrick is a college kid. He’s trying his best. Brian is a grown man that has continually embarrassed the university and cost Iowa football winning many games (and championships) over the years. And he’s been paid a ton of money to do so.
Agree. I don't recall personal attacks towards Patrick. Comments about his play are not personal attacks.

This horse has been beaten to death already and continues to come back from the dead... it's fans doing stupid fan things on the internet... not going to change.

GIF by lolesports
Agree! Eyesofhawk is never going to change his schtick. I'm not going to bother engaging with him anymore. It's not worth arguing with someone who has such a negative opinion of other Hawk fans, and who has stated that he is better than them.

Brian is different. Patrick is a college kid. He’s trying his best. Brian is a grown man that has continually embarrassed the university and cost Iowa football winning many games (and championships) over the years. And he’s been paid a ton of money to do so. Brian might be the worst offensive coordinator in the history of power 5 modern football. That’s because everyone whose dad wasn’t the head coach would have been let go numerous times before January 1, 2024. It’s a combination that has led to the shambles our offense is currently in.
Again, don’t object to stuff related to his job.

There people who made it personal tho - at one point it was reported his family had gotten threats in the mail I believe.

I know you say you don't care about fans of other teams.....but the fact is: there is negativity everywhere. There always has been and always will be. To be honest, Hawk fans are one of the most positive, supportive, tolerant, and forgiving group of fans out there. As has been pointed out...Kirk and Fran likely would have been fired years ago at a lot of schools.

And please give me proof that comments from Hawks fans has affected play in a negative way. Sure....the are a few who are over the top (a VERY few), but I just don't think it affects play as much as you think it does. "Carried substantial force"? Bull. I don't agree with that at all. And I don't appreciate being called an idiot because I may have a different opinion than you, or don't see things your way.
I don't appreciate you always mischaracterizing what I've said.

I don't claim to hear almost nothing but negative comments from coworkers. I said that it's not uncommon that I hear things repeated at my workplace that have been posted on these forums. I've said this in response to you guys trying to minimize the negative contribution that your comments on here have to the Hawkeye community. Being that I work in a public setting, it's reasonable to assume that I'm hearing an accurate cross section of the temperature of Hawkeye nation. The comments aren't from coworkers. They are from members of the public and each day brings new people.

Separately, I did reference a three week span where nowhere offline did I hear one positive comment about the football team. I referenced this in response to you trying to say that the Hawkeye fan base hasn't been that negative. You are wrong because it doesn't get much worse than that. That is a negativity of substantial force. Even most of the negative Nellies would say that the negativity in the fan base has been substantial, as they try to take credit for getting rid of Brian (which I don't happen to agree was much of a factor at all).

I don't think the negativity affects Iowa's team very much or often. In fact, I've stated that usually there isn't an effect at all. Again, the point is that if anything, the negativity can only have a negative effect. It's a negative free-roll. Nothing good can come of it, so why do it? It's simple. Risk/reward analysis. Potentially a negative effect vs no possible positive effect.

I've already given proof of what you're asking me to prove. Iowa basketball lost out on a top 100 player because he flat out stated he's had negative experiences with the fan base.

I didn't call you an idiot. I said IF you don't think the fan negativity towards the football team has been at an all time high the past couple years, and can't recognize its substantial force, THEN you are an idiot. You've answered that the negativity in the fan base having substantial force is bull. So.....I guess that makes you.....well..... I'll say delusional

Last edited:
Maybe from the defense. The offense got worse!!!!
I'm not so sure about that. But either way it's irrelevant.

The team pulled together, made winning plays in key moments (including the offense), and played better ball that lead to 4 straight crucial wins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT