ADVERTISEMENT

Bug Soother

McLovin32

HR Legend
Feb 1, 2008
I try to support local companies as much as possible. But Bug Soother is absolute trash. I've used it 4-5 times this year so far and each time got completely destroyed by mosquitoes (yes I know they're extra bad this year). In the past few years, I've tried Bug Soother once or twice every summer and after getting swarmed by skeeters, then I end up buying the good stuff with deet and the bugs are nowhere to be found. The first time I used it this year, I figured maybe the stuff I had used the last couple years was outdated so I bought a new one. But that didn't change anything with it's effectiveness. Does anyone actually have good experiences with this stuff? Clearly they do otherwise it wouldn't still be around but I also know a decent amount of folks that have had similar experiences to mine.

I feel like when it first came out it was solid. I remember being impressed with how well it worked but somewhere along the road to today, it's completely stopped working on me.

EDIT: I learned it's for gnats, and not mosquitoes. The more you know!

6_1200x.png

it-sucks-michael-kupris.gif

its-shit-disappointed.gif

Last edited:
I try to support local companies as much as possible. But Bug Soother is absolute trash. I've used it 4-5 times this year so far and each time got completely destroyed by mosquitoes (yes I know they're extra bad this year). In the past few years, I've tried Bug Soother once or twice every summer and after getting swarmed by skeeters, then I end up buying the good stuff with deet and the bugs are nowhere to be found. The first time I used it this year, I figured maybe the stuff I had used the last couple years was outdated so I bought a new one. But that didn't change anything with it's effectiveness. Does anyone actually have good experiences with this stuff? Clearly they do otherwise it wouldn't still be around but I also know a decent amount of folks that have had similar experiences to mine.

I feel like when it first came out it was solid. I remember being impressed with how well it worked but somewhere along the road to today, it's completely stopped working on me.

6_1200x.png

Well try for once to not be an idiot and use the correct product. Bug soother that you are bitching about is mainly for gnats, no-see-ums, and flys.
If you want to protect against mosquitoes and still support a local company you should purchase the product that they sell that protects against mosquitoes.
But nice rant to prove your intelligence.

1_0068f079-5f18-405f-9a26-488527520dba_1200x.png

Well try for once to not be an idiot and use the correct product. Bug soother that you are bitching about is mainly for gnats, no-see-ums, and flys.
If you want to protect against mosquitoes and still support a local company you should purchase the product that they sell that protects against mosquitoes.

Damnnnnnnnnn you made @McLovin32 your B!tch!

The original formula one literally says it repels mosquitos on the label.

Pro Tip: When you call someone an idiot, be sure you're not missing something, or misunderstanding something because it only makes you look like a fool if you are. So nice try, but go take a seat and let the adults discuss.

You're using it wrong. Bug Soother is by far the best product on the market for biting flies and gnats. Not only is it 100% effective against those insects, it is 100% natural and you smell like a cake coming out of the oven. Spray it directly on your face, kids and pets without worry. If you have horses it will keep the flies off of their faces all day.

It does NOT work on mosquitoes.

The original formula one literally says it repels mosquitos on the label.

Pro Tip: When you call someone an idiot, be sure you're not missing something, or misunderstanding something because it only makes you look like a fool if you are. So nice try, but go take a seat and let the adults discuss.
It says some mosquitos, not all mosquitos. You’re bitching about being bitten by mosquitos. Thus you should probably use the product they make that is specified for mosquitos and ticks. Not the product that does a half ass job against them.

Well that was kind of harsh. You're absolutely right, but the delivery was over the top nasty.

You're using it wrong. Bug Soother is by far the best product on the market for biting flies and gnats. Not only is it 100% effective against those insects, it is 100% natural and you smell like a cake coming out of the oven. Spray it directly on your face, kids and pets without worry. If you have horses it will keep the flies off of their faces all day.

That’s what I told him and to get the bug soother max if he wants protection against mosquitoes but he’s being a big grumpy pants instead of listening.

They should not include mosquitoes on the label then. Very misleading to label it as repelling mosquitoes and gnats, but only have it work for gnats.

I wouldn't have any issue with the product if it didn't specifically state it's product is to be used for repelling mosquitoes.

Reactions: Moral and IANDFAN
They should not include mosquitoes on the label then. Very misleading to label it as repelling mosquitoes and gnats, but only have it work for gnats.

I wouldn't have any issue with the product if it didn't specifically state it's product is to be used for repelling mosquitoes.
Yeah don’t you just hate that they are the only company with any sort of misleading information on the label.

Mosquitos were made by the devil.

They are pure evil.

If I'm fishing I just make sure I have pants, sleeves, and a hat. If really bad, I'll take a head net.

I refuse to use Deet.

Maybe you haven't tried Absorbine Junior for gnats. A little dab will do ya. I've used it for years.

I agree. It shouldn't list mosquitoes, because it's not effective against them, just as deet works great against mosquitoes but not so much against the gnats and biting flies.

It's a great product and the folks at bug soother would be way better off touting the effectiveness against flies and gnats and leaving out anything on mosquitoes. I got 2 huge welts last weekend from gnat bites I received because I forgot to put it on. Instead of getting a raving review of how well it works agsinst biting flies, they get shit on for being ineffective vs mosquitoes.

I agree. It shouldn't list mosquitoes, because it's not effective against them, just as deet works great against mosquitoes but not so much against the gnats and biting flies.

It's a great product and the folks at bug soother would be way better off touting the effectiveness against flies and gnats and leaving out anything on mosquitoes. I got 2 huge welts last weekend from gnat bites I received because I forgot to put it on. Instead of getting a raving review of how well it works agsinst biting flies, they get shit on for being ineffective vs mosquitoes.
I've got no problem admitting that I'm in the group giving shit about being ineffective vs mosquitoes. With that said, now I know. It would definitely be smart to get that off the label, because I know quite a few people that have similar complaints to mine and I'm guessing it's because they also think it's a substitute for the deet sprays.

6_1200x.png

It's for gnats ya dope.

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
Good for gnats. That’s it.

Easiest thing to do is stay indoors. Apart from golfing who the **** goes outside this time of year?! It sucks. It’s hot, humid and buggy AF. I hate the summer. Late fall/winter year round please.

I've got no problem admitting that I'm in the group giving shit about being ineffective vs mosquitoes. With that said, now I know. It would definitely be smart to get that off the label, because I know quite a few people that have similar complaints to mine and I'm guessing it's because they also think it's a substitute for the deet sprays.
If I'm out hiking/camping, I'll put on bug soother during the day and a real mosquito product if necessary during the evening. The right product for the right application.

6_1200x.png

Works for the little black bastards, sucks for skeeters. At least ot doesnt make me feel like I just bathed in toxic chemicals that are bound to kill me.

It's for gnats ya dope.
Yes, I've been made aware of that now. BUT it does specifically state it repels mosquitoes too, on the label. Which is......just not true, and why I thought it could be used as a healthier sub for deet sprays. It seems like we're all in agreement that the mosquitoes part should probably be removed from the label.

Easiest thing to do is stay indoors. Apart from golfing who the **** goes outside this time of year?! It sucks. It’s hot, humid and buggy AF. I hate the summer. Late fall/winter year round please.
It works great against any kind of fly as well.

Reactions: BlIIlken2

Well it was created to prevent gnats and other black bugs mainly and also worked against some mosquitoes. It’s not a mosquito spray. That’s why they came out with a different product focused on mosquitoes and ticks called Bug Soother Max. Unfortunately it’s all about the initial advertising.

It repels some mosquitoes.

It does not repel all mosquitoes.

It works fantastic on gnats though.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32

I've gotta be outside in the mornings. I can't do cardio shit on a treadmill or stationary bike inside. I have to be outside, so that's when the bug spray comes in.

Reactions: BlIIlken2
It repels some mosquitoes.

It does not repel all mosquitoes.

It works fantastic on gnats though.
But it doesn’t repel all mosquitoes so he thinks it should be removed.
The real problem is he bought a bug spray thinking it is a mosquito spray. Sounds like a mclovin problem and not a bug soother problem.

• Love
Reactions: McLovin32
Yes, I've been made aware of that now. BUT it does specifically state it repels mosquitoes too, on the label. Which is......just not true, and why I thought it could be used as a healthier sub for deet sprays. It seems like we're all in agreement that the mosquitoes part should probably be removed from the label.
But it is true. It does "repel" mosquitoes - I've personally seen many land then take off due to it being on if it's on pretty thick and was recently applied. However, if it's been an hour or so and you only have a little on, the more aggressive mosquitoes will power through it.

So while it *sort of* works agains mosquitoes often, it isn't surefire.

But I'd argue it does a decent enough job that it's not misleading to put "repels mosquitoes" on the label.

Most Iowans are pretty aware that it is the go-to gnat preventative but only so-so for skeeters.

Don't feel bad for your ignorance, you just didn't know!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT