ADVERTISEMENT

Bulletin Board Material

like-woahh

HB Heisman
Feb 8, 2014
If Iowa plays this game flat I will be completely shocked. Very very few national pundits have picked Iowa to win this game, calling it a bad matchup for them. There is a ridiculous amount of motivation to shove it in people's faces.

I'm an objective watcher of sports, and actually find this to be a great matchup for Iowa. They struggle with physical teams that get in their face and put on a ton of pressure. Is Davidson a team that really does that? I ask this honestly because I know very little of Davidson outside of what I've gleaned from national talking heads.

Iowa very may well lose as that's the nature of the tournament, but I feel like a small team that relies on outside shooting is a great matchup for Iowa.

I just don't get it, from what I read it seems like Davidson is very similar to Indiana or Maryland, and Iowa handled both of those teams.

Do they have great quickness at the guard position that is going to drive it to the rim. I'm honestly just searching for a reason why Iowa is getting dogged so hard by the national media in regards to this matchup.

Like I said, they very may well lose... nothing is a lock in the tourney outside of 16 vs. 1... but am I wrong to think this is a great matchup for Iowa?

I agree with you. I think that it could definitely go either way, but this isn't the type of team iowa has struggled against this year. I don't think that it is going to be an easy one for Davidson.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Is Davidson similar to Minnesota in style? Because that would worry me. If they have guards that can actually get to the rim and kick like Hollins and Mason, then I feel like it's a toss up. But if they don't have guards who can penetrate the way they do I don't honestly feel that concerned.

My only worry is on ball pressure that forces Iowa into multiple boneheaded turnovers from the guard positions.

If any team needs bulletin board material to get up for an NCAA tourney game, they got no business being in the tourney in the first place.

Originally posted by 4th & 9 inches:
If any team needs bulletin board material to get up for an NCAA tourney game, they got no business being in the tourney in the first place.
No kidding. I think they play very well and motivated. That's not to say Davidson can't throw in 25 footers with hands in their face all night because they still could. It's not to say we're not going to be able to hit water if we fall out of a boat from 3, because we could still go 3 for 19. But I'm saying I don't think we'll lose because we play poorly, I don't think...

No kidding. I think they play very well and motivated. That's not to say Davidson can't throw in 25 footers with hands in their face all night because they still could. It's not to say we're not going to be able to hit water if we fall out of a boat from 3, because we could still go 3 for 19. But I'm saying I don't think we'll lose because we play poorly, I don't think...

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
You can say that again again.

Just to be clear, Beep, were you kidding?
wink.r191677.gif

Like-woahh, I agree with you entirely. As to your questions about Davidson, all the research I've done indicates the answers would be that Iowa holds an advantage in the matchups.

Our losses this season have been:

A) Two instate rivalries. And matchups, logic, everything, gets tossed out the window.
B) Teams that played physical (Hockey) type basketball, and even then we won SOME of those.

By the end of the season this was so well known that even Penn State was trying to be tough with us! And it worked!

I don't think that stuff flies in the NCAA Tournament. I don't think Davidson could do it if they tried. We beat plenty of teams that we're capable of shooting three point shots all night and with respect to Davidson Melo Trimble, Yogi Ferrell, on and on with the intent of naming off two teams......are better than Davidson!

Should it be a good game? Yes. Could we lose. Yes, refer to "A", it is the NCAA Tournament and logic takes a strange twist especially in the first game.

But from where I view, and read, and think, Iowa should be the favorite. If I had to guess I'd bet on a big Iowa win while Davidson tries to shoot over our too tall line up. Too tall, that's one of the kicks I've been getting out the pundits....where are all these short teams in the history books? Standing on them to look taller!

I think this game could go either way, but I agree with the thread. Many of the talking heads put very little effort into knowing about teams and their "expert analyses" are often based school history, not the current season.

Iowa has been very good against teams that are less physical and rely more on outshooting their opponent. Iowa has also been very good in up-tempo games. I think they almost always win if they score more than 65. This should be a good match up for the Hawks, and they just need to play good perimeter defense, work the ball around for good shots on offense, and whip Davidson on the boards.
This post was edited on 3/20 9:37 AM by HoustonREDHawk

Basically, it's like this....Ol' Doodle certainly hopes we don't need bulletin board material to get up for this game. But seeing as how we haven't won an NCAA Tourney game in 14 years, Doodle will settle for a win no matter how it transpires. All the talk does seem to be about Davidson, and Doodle can understand how that might get under the skin of the Iowa players and coaches a little bit. So if we win because the guys were especially motivated due to feeling "disrespected" or whatever, that's fine. At the end of the day, we just need to win the game and advance.

We need to channel that emotion into controlled aggression, keep our composure, and pound Davidson down low with our size (gross).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT