ADVERTISEMENT

Rudy Giuliani files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in New York

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Rudy Giuliani has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in New York, one day after a federal judge ruled that he must immediately pay the $148 million he owes two Georgia women he falsely accused of helping to steal the 2020 election.

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

In paperwork filed Thursday to seek protection from New York creditors, Giuliani listed nearly $500 million in debts, including the $148 million he owes former Georgia election workers Ruby Freeman and Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss. He also listed “unknown” amounts of debt to election technology companies Smartmatic and Dominion Voting Systems, which named the former New York mayor in their defamation lawsuits about the 2020 presidential election. He listed his assets at around $10 million.

“The filing should be a surprise to no one,” Ted Goodman, a spokesman for Giuliani, said in a statement. “No person could have reasonably believed that Mayor Rudy Giuliani would be able to pay such a high punitive amount.”
Goodman said the Chapter 11 filing would afford Giuliani “the opportunity and time to pursue an appeal, while providing transparency for his finances under the supervision of the bankruptcy court, to ensure all creditors are treated equally and fairly throughout the process.”
This is a developing story.

Rudy Giuliani has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in New York, one day after a federal judge ruled that he must immediately pay the $148 million he owes two Georgia women he falsely accused of helping to steal the 2020 election.

Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

In paperwork filed Thursday to seek protection from New York creditors, Giuliani listed nearly $500 million in debts, including the $148 million he owes former Georgia election workers Ruby Freeman and Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss. He also listed “unknown” amounts of debt to election technology companies Smartmatic and Dominion Voting Systems, which named the former New York mayor in their defamation lawsuits about the 2020 presidential election. He listed his assets at around $10 million.

“The filing should be a surprise to no one,” Ted Goodman, a spokesman for Giuliani, said in a statement. “No person could have reasonably believed that Mayor Rudy Giuliani would be able to pay such a high punitive amount.”
Goodman said the Chapter 11 filing would afford Giuliani “the opportunity and time to pursue an appeal, while providing transparency for his finances under the supervision of the bankruptcy court, to ensure all creditors are treated equally and fairly throughout the process.”
This is a developing story.

tom-the-cat-heart-eyes-wyoe6qmonwo9s442.gif

Is this basically getting him out of paying the poll workers or will they be able to get money from him at some point?

From something I saw those can't be swept away by a bankruptcy.

The problem is getting to what actual assets he has (if any). That apartment he owns is for sale and worth a few million but who knows what debts he owes on it.

My bet is those women don't see a single penny of the judgment.

Just another prime example of hitching yourself to Trump is a losing proposition. You would think idiots would back off from him for reasons like Giuliani but they can't quit the loser in spite of the general outcome is worse than going in position.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Everything Trump touches dies. What is it about these loons lately? Go broke by making up shit.
Which is why I figure Trump/Russians/US Oligarchs have some pretty dirty stuff on these people, to sacrifice their reputations and $$ to stand up and repeat lies they know are false.

The news of him filing for bankruptcy just strengthens how I feel about him offing himself soon. Last week after the $148 million lawsuit thing happened, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he kills himself because his life will never get better.

I now think the odds of that happening are even higher.

future income? lol
Book deal? I doubt he could put 2 coherent sentences together but a ghost writer could write it. If it was a "tell all" book he could get zillions. Zillions I tell you!

No. I won't buy it.

:rolleyes:

The news of him filing for bankruptcy just strengthens how I feel about him offing himself soon. Last week after the $148 million lawsuit thing happened, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he kills himself because his life will never get better.

I now think the odds of that happening are even higher.
He seems too arrogant and self-righteous to off himself. He probably thinks he's a good-looking guy too.

:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
It’s been a long time since I had to think about bankruptcy law but I’m fairly certain those are shielding from creditors.
I think his residence in Florida is protected, too?
In his 3rd divorce a few years ago his ex said at one time they were spending $230,000 a month, and had memberships at 11 golf clubs.
He’s flat assed broke. There is no hidden money. He is going to need a public defender soon enough.
I think one of the TV lawyers said that the way Judge Howell wrote her ruling Freeman and Moss can go after anyone who allows Rudy on their program and lies about them. He isn’t going to get any paid gigs. He’s going to be doing podcasts with Kyle Rittenhouse.

Trump IOU’s don’t count on the balance sheet.
Rudy's creditors will certainly be interested in that though. Rudy just made Donnie's life even worse than it already is. Those creditors don't f**k around and they don't care who you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT