ADVERTISEMENT

C.J. Beathard Learning How to Cope With His Brother's Death

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
It’s been a tough couple of months for San Francisco 49ers backup quarterback C.J. Beathard, as he and his family sought to process the news in the tragic death of 22-year-old Clayton Beathard, C.J.’s younger brother.

Beathard told USA Today in an interview that he has been turning more to God to cope.

“Over this past month, I’ve dove into the Bible more than I ever have, just trying to find some peace and trying to find God’s promises about Heaven and just knowing where my brother is,” he said.

“He was a Christian, wore it on his sleeve, and wasn’t afraid to share it. So knowing the hope that I have, I know I will see him again someday. It’s really what gets me through it. Without being faithful, I don’t know where I’d be. It’s tough enough as it is.”

Officials in Tennessee arrested a man wanted in a stabbing attack that took place at a Nashville bar and killed Clayton and another man. The attack also injured a third. The 23-year-old suspect has been charged with criminal homicide.

Clayton had football aspirations, just like his brother. He was the starting quarterback for Long Island University. He was described as an “amazing, big- and soft-hearted human being with an undeniable love for the Lord,” the Beathard parents said in a statement to The Tennessean.

The statement continued: “To those who knew and loved him, please lean into the Lord’s strength, trust in the Lord and carry on.”

When Beathard was quarterbacking Iowa to a 12-2 record in 2015, he struck up a friendship with a 14-year-old Hawkeye fan named Jay Knabe, who traveled with his parents and lived in an RV. After meeting at Iowa’s spring game, the two reconnected and Beathard asked Knabe to send him a verse of the Bible before every game that season.

The texts became incorporated into Beathard’s weekly routine.

“I read Bible scriptures in the hotel before we get on the bus, and there’s a book called ‘Jesus Daily’ that I read a page from before each game.”

Beathard has been open about his beliefs for years, telling Hawk Central in 2015 about his spiritual practices.

Faith in Christ is prominent in the Beathard household. Before C.J., 26, left his home state to attend the University of Iowa, he posted about his faith on Twitter:

C.J. Beathard
@cjbeathard
Off to the next chapter in my life. Excited to see what God has in store for me. I am so thankful for all the people that came into my life.

Beathard reached the NFL as a third-round pick of the 49ers in 2017, where his faith was again on display. When the quarterback ahead of him on the depth chart, Jimmy Garoppolo, tore his ACL in 2018, Beathard was nothing but supportive.

“I told him I would be praying for him and that I love him,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT