ADVERTISEMENT

Cable / Internet Bill

I was going to post this in it's own thread, but since I'm here I'm here.

Anyway, last time I paid my bill online (I have Mediacom cable/internet/land-line phone) , and I pay an outrageous amount ($350.00 per month for the full package), I had a little red warning alarm on the account that said I needed to update and get a new cable box. So I ordered it, rcvd it in the mail and set it up over the weekend. First thing I noticed was that it was very small, looked more like some kind of mini server. After set up I noticed that ....................................THERE'S NO GOT DAMN DVR SERVICE WITH THE NEW THINGIE !*!!$!

So I call Mediacom and talked to their customer service and they said they don't offer DVR service any more, that I had already set up the new "box" or whatever you want to call it and the codes had been sent to activate the new one and that the old one would no longer work and I shouldn't try to reinstall it, and that I would need to mail back or drop the old box off at the local IC office.

As politely as I was capable of at that moment I said the equivalent of "This is bullshit" and hung up.

Basically, I only have the damn Mediacom cable for the DVR and because I don't like the streaming experience and I will only change services on stuff like this if I absolutely have to do it.

So I'm sitting there steaming away and decided to call them back, the next person I talk to says yes I can put my old box back and it should still work and to return the new one that was sent by mail or to the local office and to tell them I don't want it. And as of today, old cable box still works and I still have my DVR.

Anyway, what the hell's going on? Why even have the freaking cable if you can't record shows off it? What are they thinking? Are they trying to drive people to Satellite or Youtube TV?

To conclude (CSB)--PHUCK MEDIACOM!

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
We just signed up for YouTube TV last week and you can have up to 6 accounts. It comes with like 100 channels and then you can add. It has BTN, FS1, FS2, 4 different ESPN channels, and CBS Sports. So it should have everything we need to watch the Hawks. It has a guide like our Directv had. And the first 3 months are $57.99 going to $72.99 after that.
Been using YouTube TV for five years and love it. Living in Arizona, the only Hawk games I miss is some of the early BBall games when they’re on BTN+. I just set it up to record Hawkeye Football, and Hawkeye Basketball (Men & Women). I can probably count on two hands the number of Hawkeye games I couldn’t get over the five years.

Anyway, last time I paid my bill online (I have Mediacom cable/internet/land-line phone) , and I pay an outrageous amount ($350.00 per month for the full package), I had a little red warning alarm on the account that said I needed to update and get a new cable box. So I ordered it, rcvd it in the mail and set it up over the weekend. First thing I noticed was that it was very small, looked more like some kind of mini server. After set up I noticed that ....................................THERE'S NO GOT DAMN DVR SERVICE WITH THE NEW THINGIE !*!!$!

So I call Mediacom and talked to their customer service and they said they don't offer DVR service any more, that I had already set up the new "box" or whatever you want to call it and the codes had been sent to activate the new one and that the old one would no longer work and I shouldn't try to reinstall it, and that I would need to mail back or drop the old box off at the local IC office.

As politely as I was capable of at that moment I said the equivalent of "This is bullshit" and hung up.

Basically, I only have the damn Mediacom cable for the DVR and because I don't like the streaming experience and I will only change services on stuff like this if I absolutely have to do it.

So I'm sitting there steaming away and decided to call them back, the next person I talk to says yes I can put my old box back and it should still work and to return the new one that was sent by mail or to the local office and to tell them I don't want it. And as of today, old cable box still works and I still have my DVR.

Anyway, what the hell's going on? Why even have the freaking cable if you can't record shows off it? What are they thinking? Are they trying to drive people to Satellite or Youtube TV?

Yeah, they have outsourced their help to other countries. That means they are reading what they are supposed to say vs. what will actually help.

I mean, if someone wanted to trainwreck a company, I'm pretty sure all of us could do it. But why? They are not losing money.

Reactions: pjhawk
To my knowledge, Google fiber is not in Ames yet. Metronet is the the only competitor that I'm aware of. And I don't like those asshats because even though I've had nothing to do with them, they cut my cable on a couple of occasions when they were installing lines.

I'd suggest getting over it. They're cheaper and much more reliable.

Cuts are a pain in the ass but it's inevitable.

When you say ‘land line phone’, do you mean an IP phone that relies on the cable modem, or do you have a powered copper pair that will ring a POTS phone like you grew up with?

I just dropped Comcast commercial because they doubled the price to $228 when we exhausted the two year contract.

Opened account with Metronet for 1Gb up and down fiber for $64 a month. When that runs out in a year probably get Starlink at that point if they’re all priced around $100/mo just to be genuinely portable and disaster proofed.

Can Youtube TV be used on multiple tvs? (we have 6 people here). Is it ala carte for channels?

I just haven't done the research. Frankly it shouldn't solely be my issue to deal with here, but it always has been.
I believe you can have up to 4 different TVs (separate channels on each) with YouTube TV.

When you say ‘land line phone’, do you mean an IP phone that relies on the cable modem, or do you have a powered copper pair that will ring a POTS phone like you grew up with?
It's powered through the modem but I call it a "landline" because it's the same service, phone rings and you can hear it all through the house. It's only $19.99 per month and I've basically got it just for sentimental reasons at this point, have had the number for over 30 years and can't bear to let it go.

All of my important contact stuff is through my cell. Again, just don't want to let it go.

YouTube TV has unlimited DVR space. It was easy to set up and all of my husband's shows are now set to record. Don't keep overpriced cable for that.

YouTube TV has unlimited DVR space. It was easy to set up and all of my husband's shows are now set to record. Don't keep overpriced cable for that.

So with the multiple tvs, do you have to have some sort of stick? or does it just go off general wifi?

I think I'm getting sold here. DVR is important for me for a lot of reasons. Can you DVR multiple shows that are playing at the same time (that is a question for my wife and girls)? Can you set ball games to record past the recording time? (games start late or go long),

Thanks to everyone, making this a more informed decision.

So with the multiple tvs, do you have to have some sort of stick? or does it just go off general wifi?

I think I'm getting sold here. DVR is important for me for a lot of reasons. Can you DVR multiple shows that are playing at the same time (that is a question for my wife and girls)? Can you set ball games to record past the recording time? (games start late or go long),

We have a Smart TV so the app was already installed when we bought the TV. No stick needed. Just hooked into wifi. I don't know if you can set things to record past the scheduled run time. I guess I didn't even think about it and we have only had it literally a week. I hope someone else can answer that question. I don't know why you couldn't record multiple things that play at the same time. I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't appear to have any limits.

I've never had cable or satellite and doubt I ever will.

My wife and I have probably saved over $30k during the span of our marriage.

Calculate some earnings on this money if invested and it's a bunch.

I'm a saver. :)
Do you do over the air TV? I paused YTTV until the end of august and just use my antenna.

You can do multiple recordings, and ca extend the record times. The biggest problem is when the previous game runs long and the game you wants gets moved to an ALT channel.

I use Fire Sticks or Fire Cubes on everything. Some like Roku. The point of doing the same thing on every TV is your Profile follows you so it's the same. You can start a program in one room and continue it another if you need to change. You can also stream on your phone or Laptop where ever you are.

We have both Mediacom and YTTV. Personally I like the My library recording/DVR feature better, as I can add Hawkeye football or such and it will record every game regardless of what channel it's on.

I have two Sony smart tvs that are hardwired to my home internet. The app is already installed on the Google operating system. You can dvr multiple shows/events at one time. Shows stay recorded for 9 months but anytime a show has rerun it will re-record. An example is the big ten show about the Brands brothers, I recorded it when it first came on 2 or 3 years ago and it’s still on my dvr because BTN keeps replaying it. Another nice thing is it will record all college wrestling matches because it’s set to record NCAA wrestling and not Iowa wrestling.

Say you have the show Blue Bloods set to record YTTV will recorded every episode that plays even on different channels but will always tell you which one is new and which ones you haven’t watched.

Hope all that helps. If you have any more questions I’ll try to answer as best as I can.

Might be worth your while to do a free trial on it. I think they offer like a 7 day one. Install it, try it out on all your TV's, see if you like the interface, able to stream with no issues, etc.

I forgot about the customizable guide. You can arrange your channels in any order you want. I did local channels first followed by all the sports channels and then mtv and cartoon channels. I think this has to be done on a computer and not on the app unless they have changed that.

$50 for T-Mobile 5G home internet. Works great.
Don’t pay for tv. Poors watch tv

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT