ADVERTISEMENT

Cade

Cade has struggled at Iowa. I believe injuries and other reasons have caused this to happen. I do believe that he is a competitor that worked hard to do his best as a Hawkeye. He is still needed by the team and deserves our gratitude for his efforts.
He got paid that's all he needs. He can not duplicate what he did at Michigan he had a more talented cast on offense there period. Without them he is an average at best. Average qbs Iowa get destroyed no support

Injuries definitely diminished what Cade could do as a QB. I have no bad feelings toward Cade, but I am glad Kirk FINALLY realized that he needed to make a change. Having a QB who can move makes them a much better team. We would not have 3 losses if the change had been made earlier.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I'm on record as saying that I believe booing your own team is counterproductive. I don't do it. I don't believe others should do it, but they paid their money and they are entitled to voice their displeasure within reason. I am also on record as saying that the players are simply a reflection of the staff who are responsible for recruiting, developing, coaching, and preparing them. If people have a problem with the performance of the team they should direct it towards the staff, which I believe is probably where most of it was directed. Unfortunately that doesn't come across in a stadium of 70,000. Cade certainly deserves no animus from the fans as, like I already said, has done all he can to lead the offense. He has been paid handsomely for that effort. Unfortunately he's not up to the task which has been obvious since day 1. IMO, he deserves respect moreso than gratitude for giving his all, but it hasn't panned out.
Exactly why if KF has a good read on things he won’t trot Cade back out there. He’s obviously just not the same QB he once was. Sullivan is much better in pretty much every way. Kirk can’t be that stupid can he? Oh wait…..

Reactions: DewHawk
I think they were booing Ferentz not Cade. I agree, it's not the player's fault if he is not up to the task. Coaches recruit and coach accordingly. Cade remaining in the line-up given the poor performance and an option like Sullivan that appears to be an upgrade is why fans like me get upset. Ferentz brings out these frustrations with his slow moving recognitions of talent etc. especially with the QB position.
Could be, but anecdotally, I talked to someone who was at the game and he said that the "fans" in his section were vicious and brutal at comments directed at CMcN.

Maybe if KF would commit to playing offense to win games or add a qb like Oregon’s 4 star dual threat Ty Thompson in the portal like he had the chance to do in the off season, more people would donate or become members. People won’t do it because they feel we won’t do it after wasting three years of great defenses with his son leading the offense to epic failures on that side of the ball.

I think it is going to take a complete change in staffs to energize the fan base with fresh blood and a new mindset when it comes to playing on the offensive side of the ball to get them to donate their hard earned money to pay college kids to play
Cheers Yes GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

Like every NIL recipient, he got paid on what he projected to offer the program, not what he has brought to the program. This is the inherent problem with NIL, and why it cannot be sustained for most schools/fanbases. You can only be asked to invest in some blue sky start up company so many times before you say, Pass.

Can't blame him if he's offered a ton of money to come here. No one would say, Let me prove myself first to be worthy, and then I'll take the money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall a big pushback at the time when he announced he was coming to Iowa that fans were skeptical or concerned that he was being paid a huge sum of money before he produced anything for Iowa. After 3 years of Petrus, most were very happy about him coming to Iowa, regardless of what he was being paid. But, this experience (and that of the guy who took the NIL for a sum before going back to a school down south) will certainly cause skepticism going forward. I imagine other fanbases feel the same way.

Thank Cade for the effort, but he's not entitled to anything other than a shot. He took it. It wasn't working. I do suspect we'll see him again, and we may (emphasis on "may") be glad he's around if Sullivan gets banged up. The QB room is pretty thin right now (which is a whole different topic).

Reactions: iowaathletes
Like every NIL recipient, he got paid on what he projected to offer the program, not what he has brought to the program. This is the inherent problem with NIL, and why it cannot be sustained for most schools/fanbases. You can only be asked to invest in some blue sky start up company so many times before you say, Pass.

Can't blame him if he's offered a ton of money to come here. No one would say, Let me prove myself first to be worthy, and then I'll take the money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall a big pushback at the time when he announced he was coming to Iowa that fans were skeptical or concerned that he was being paid a huge sum of money before he produced anything for Iowa. After 3 years of Petrus, most were very happy about him coming to Iowa, regardless of what he was being paid. But, this experience (and that of the guy who took the NIL for a sum before going back to a school down south) will certainly cause skepticism going forward. I imagine other fanbases feel the same way.

Thank Cade for the effort, but he's not entitled to anything other than a shot. He took it. It wasn't working. I do suspect we'll see him again, and we may (emphasis on "may") be glad he's around if Sullivan gets banged up. The QB room is pretty thin right now (which is a whole different topic).
Can't afford injuries at QB and CB for sure. Don't know the depth at other positions.

Cade has struggled at Iowa. I believe injuries and other reasons have caused this to happen. I do believe that he is a competitor that worked hard to do his best as a Hawkeye. He is still needed by the team and deserves our gratitude for his efforts.
We’ll see if he’s a “team guy” once he’s benched. I saw at least one moment in the game where it “appeared” he was not the consummate teammate. Also, had heard rumors he wasn’t the consummate teammate when they were making it a competition between he and JJ up at Michigan.

I'm sure he's doing his best and all, and that's all well and good, but I don't think anyone owes him a thing. If Sullivan turns out to be the better option at QB, that's who I want in there. Simple as that. I have no feelings on the matter beyond this. I'm not one of those idiots who is going to start taking personal shots at the guy just because I don't like his level of play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT