ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark signing 8 figure deal with Nike

I'm sure Caitlin already is more famous than Tiger Woods was over a quarter-century ago when Nike got behind him.

But nevertheless, this is now Caitlin's "Hello World" moment I suppose.

And those are good moments to have, btw!

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

I sure hope Caitlin can back up all of the hype and endorsements with a solid rookie season. Yes, she's good, but the WNBA is loaded. Her defenders, as well as the players she'll be guarding, will be big and athletic. It will not be easy.

She's a star. She may not make 30 points/game but that's not what she has to do. She needs to bring the ball up the court, feed inside or cut loose with a 30' shot. With personality. With a smile. Personality....connecting with the crowd. This is what they want and why they drafted her. It amazes me people still fail to realize this.

Caitlin Clark is more than a basketball player. She's an entertainer and is aware of this. And is being compensated accordingly with the 8 figure NIL deal she signed with NIKE (for starters).

No one wants to see another PG dribbling up the court, passing or shooting then go through the same routine over and over. That's what they've got now.

I sure hope Caitlin can back up all of the hype and endorsements with a solid rookie season. Yes, she's good, but the WNBA is loaded. Her defenders, as well as the players she'll be guarding, will be big and athletic. It will not be easy.
It’s not like you’re wrong but I felt this way going into games against LSU, South Carolina, etc with their freaky athletes and she still outclassed them offensively. She always rises to the top. Barring injury, I feel like she’s a can’t miss prospect in the W.

Kind of chuckling over all of the folks arguing that CC would be taking a huge cut in pay to go to the WNBA. As if Nike and others didn't lay out contracts in front of her months ago showing her representatives what she stood to earn by moving on.
Exactly. This is why agents were beating her door down last year, before she signed with Excel.

BUT the players she'll be playing WITH will be much better as well, which will open the floor for her.....

She has been limited defensively at Iowa because they could not afford to have her in foul trouble. Anxious to see her D-up more in the W, where she won't have to play almost every minute of every game.

BTW, do they use the same sized ball in the W as in college?

For sure it will be tough and I think Caitlin is more aware of this than many other people. The thing is, she will have awesome players on her team as well. While she is going to have to figure out some new tricks to get them the ball as some of the old won't work in the W, she is going to have far fewer issues with players not catching the ball she passes or missing a layup once they have the ball. If she can prove that she is still a threat from 30-35 feet that will open up the floor for her to find people to get the ball too. Indiana has some scorers on their team as well. For that reason alone, she won't average 30 points a game. Even if she takes the league by storm and plays as well as she possibly can and everything goes right for her she won't have 30 points a game. With the players on her team, there aren't enough points to go around for that. And I think she will be perfectly fine with that.

For sure it will be tough and I think Caitlin is more aware of this than many other people. The thing is, she will have awesome players on her team as well. While she is going to have to figure out some new tricks to get them the ball as some of the old won't work in the W, she is going to have far fewer issues with players not catching the ball she passes or missing a layup once they have the ball. If she can prove that she is still a threat from 30-35 feet that will open up the floor for her to find people to get the ball too. Indiana has some scorers on their team as well. For that reason alone, she won't average 30 points a game. Even if she takes the league by storm and plays as well as she possibly can and everything goes right for her she won't have 30 points a game. With the players on her team, there aren't enough points to go around for that. And I think she will be perfectly fine with that.
Good points that I agree with. FWIW, I believe vegas has set the over/under on her PPG this year at 20.5, so vegas is expecting big things.

She's a star. She may not make 30 points/game but that's not what she has to do. She needs to bring the ball up the court, feed inside or cut loose with a 30' shot. With personality. With a smile. Personality....connecting with the crowd. This is what they want and why they drafted her. It amazes me people still fail to realize this.

Caitlin Clark is more than a basketball player. She's an entertainer and is aware of this. And is being compensated accordingly with the 8 figure NIL deal she signed with NIKE (for starters).

No one wants to see another PG dribbling up the court, passing or shooting then go through the same routine over and over. That's what they've got now.
CC, at 22, gets it. Sports is entertainment. Too bad "We won 10 games" KF is STILL oblivious to that fact.

Good points that I agree with. FWIW, I believe vegas has set the over/under on her PPG this year at 20.5, so vegas is expecting big things.
If you pointed a gun at my head I would have said rough 20 points a game is a more reasonable expectation. I'm no expert but it makes me feel good that Vegas and I seem to be on the same page with that. I'd like to see her have 8-10 assists per game as well, but asking a rookie to average a double-double in their first year is a lot. On the other hand, if she does that then it shouldn't be any questions who gets rookie of the year (and how good of a season would someone else have to have to top that?)

Reactions: BGHAWK
If you pointed a gun at my head I would have said rough 20 points a game is a more reasonable expectation. I'm no expert but it makes me feel good that Vegas and I seem to be on the same page with that. I'd like to see her have 8-10 assists per game as well, but asking a rookie to average a double-double in their first year is a lot. On the other hand, if she does that then it shouldn't be any questions who gets rookie of the year (and how good of a season would someone else have to have to top that?)
Part of me says take the under on points, and the over on whatever they have for assists. That part of me sees her averaging 17 points and 10 assists her rookie year. But then watching her over the past couple of years (yes, I was late to the bandwagon), points just seem to spray off her hands in chunks. I could see her having a couple of back to back threes over the course of a game, a couple of layups or pullup midrange shots, and a few free throws. That gets her to about 17 points, and doesn't account for whatever else she might do. So 20.5 is probably the right number. It's almost like vegas knows what it's doing.

Reactions: BioHawk
Part of me says take the under on points, and the over on whatever they have for assists. That part of me sees her averaging 17 points and 10 assists her rookie year. But then watching her over the past couple of years (yes, I was late to the bandwagon), points just seem to spray off her hands in chunks. I could see her having a couple of back to back threes over the course of a game, a couple of layups or pullup midrange shots, and a few free throws. That gets her to about 17 points, and doesn't account for whatever else she might do. So 20.5 is probably the right number. It's almost like vegas knows what it's doing.
Agreed. Still, 17 and 10 for a rookie year is outstanding. Especially if Indiana gets 10+ more wins.

My guess is 25-27 minutes, 15 points, and 8-10 assists a game for her rookie season. A lot of talented players are going to make it their personal goal to play tough defense and limit the "baby goat" scoring a ton her rookie season, which is understandable. I think she will use the opportunity to highlight her passing skills. What I don't see happening is her throwing up 20 shots on an off shooting night like she could do at Iowa when needed. With the talent around her she is going to show off her elite passing, which is going to make her very popular with her teammates.

Yesterday in her presser she was giving an answer about her scoring and roughly she said, " ... it's not like I'm going to be scoring ... 40 points a game every night ... "

Made me wonder if her hesitation before settling on 40 was because she didn't want to concede 30 pts/game as not being in play. If so, I like that!

This is also why it was critical for Lisa to play CC for nearly the entire game. As those records tumbled, it removed all barriers for CC to land these type of endorsements.
For anyone watching the games, it will be mentioned often that she is the record holder for points. They will talk about her shoe and the deal she landed. This all adds to her legacy.

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT