ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: Caitlin Clark

Long but great.
Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office

Insanely long article from ESPN, TLDR if you want, but worth it. 4+ years of Clark's journey/growth.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...-ncaa-women-basketball-tournament-ready-march
Incredible story. Thanks so much. This and the "growing the game"video have been a great insight into their world. In May ESPN will drop the 10 part documentary about Clark, the Hawks, and Cordosa, and a UCLA player about their senior year "last dance" Along the line of the Bulls "last dance" series. The look behind the scenes are eye opening and facinating revelations . Can't wait to see that as well.....

Reactions: Scott559
The Great Croatian Booze Cruise. Was Kennise Johnson of legal age? Wait, is Uncle Sam's arm of the law long enough to reach Dubrovnik? :D

I really enjoyed the article ... but, to me, it was very much a "coming of age" tale.

Although, Thompson put it very diplomatically (who wouldn't given the access to Caitlin and family he was granted) ... but so much of it was about the growth in maturity of Caitlin ... AND the fact that it was a learning process for her to truly become a "team player."

Trust has to cut both ways ...

My guess is that Geno initially avoided Caitlin because he perceived her as a talented individual player ... but not necessarily a "winning teammate." Furthermore, Geno values defense to complement his offense.

Therein, I believe both Caitlin and the Iowa coaches deserve a lot of kudos (along with the Dowling staff too, for that matter) ... it can be hard maturing ... particularly when the differences between yourself and your peers can (or might) be stark.

It's been a wild-ride watching Caitlin grow into a generationally amazing and complete offensive player ... arguably the best the womens game has ever seen (on the collegiate level).

Very interesting read.

That's more of a book than an article.... Wowsers, it took me a long time to read. Very well done.

Reactions: MitchLL
Okay, just finished. Incredible. But could it pose a distraction to this team? There are some wild quotes in there. I can’t imagine O’Grady approved this version…

Okay, just finished. Incredible. But could it pose a distraction to this team? There are some wild quotes in there. I can’t imagine O’Grady approved this version…
I don't know ... it illustrated that there was growth by O'Grady too. Also, while it may have painted Caitlin's frustration with O'Grady ... her behavior wasn't portrayed as always being flattering.

The point about O'Grady was a device ... and the author circles back and touches on it at the end.

Last edited:
Surprised that there is a drinking age there.
I haven't been to Europe in a couple of decades but outside of France, every other country I went to did have a drinking age. Although I never saw one that was older than 18. I remember being in Ireland and some high school kids were sitting outside of the liquor store asking people to buy them alcohol. Later they had a party on the beach near our hostel and they were all obliterated. csb

I haven't been to Europe in a couple of decades but outside of France, every other country I went to did have a drinking age. Although I never saw one that was older than 18. I remember being in Ireland and some high school kids were sitting outside of the liquor store asking people to buy them alcohol. Later they had a party on the beach near our hostel and they were all obliterated. csb
Not saying Wikipedia is the truth but it lists a majority of the countries around the world don't have a legal drinking age, just a purchase age.
Edit: most of the laws on purchase age do prohibit serving alcohol to minors. But I'm not clear if it covers the scenario of Clark giving a drink to Johnson on a boat in the Adriatic Sea.

Last edited:
Not saying Wikipedia is the truth but it lists a majority of the countries around the world don't have a legal drinking age, just a purchase age.
Well, ok. I was only going on buying it. I didn't think about whether it was illegal to drink it or not. Probably explains why none of those kids were worried about getting busted getting shitcanned on the beach.

It's a well-written article, but I'd think it would be a big emotional distraction for Clark and the team going into this (Clark's last) tournament. I'd guess this is as vulnerable as Clark has made herself since her rise to celebrity, and it only adds to the pressure of the situation ahead for her and the team. Doesn't help that Clark is coming off some "rougher" games in the BTT that I imagine she would like to correct. Opposing players are going to really try to get in her head this year.

Overall the article somewhat reads a bit melancholy, like the fate of the end of the story has already been written. I hope that isn't the case.

I really enjoyed the article ... but, to me, it was very much a "coming of age" tale.

Although, Thompson put it very diplomatically (who wouldn't given the access to Caitlin and family he was granted) ... but so much of it was about the growth in maturity of Caitlin ... AND the fact that it was a learning process for her to truly become a "team player."

Trust has to cut both ways ...

My guess is that Geno initially avoided Caitlin because he perceived her as a talented individual player ... but not necessarily a "winning teammate." Furthermore, Geno values defense to complement his offense.

Therein, I believe both Caitlin and the Iowa coaches deserve a lot of kudos (along with the Dowling staff too, for that matter) ... it can be hard maturing ... particularly when the differences between yourself and your peers can (or might) be stark.

It's been a wild-ride watching Caitlin grow into a generationally amazing and complete offensive player ... arguably the best the womens game has ever seen (on the collegiate level).
Who was quoted as saying it's easier to tame a lion then raise the dead.
There was so much in the article that you could just skim over and not catch. Like how she was frustrated by the trainer who had her legs so big she wouldn't fit into a levi is properly. Many things most of us males or adults would never think of that a young lady had to fight through while fighting g or struggling to be the best.
I sent the article to my two daughters and they were really moved by it. The man is a hell of a writer and I will look for more of his article.

Who was quoted as saying it's easier to tame a lion then raise the dead.
There was so much in the article that you could just skim over and not catch. Like how she was frustrated by the trainer who had her legs so big she wouldn't fit into a levi is properly. Many things most of us males or adults would never think of that a young lady had to fight through while fighting g or struggling to be the best.
I sent the article to my two daughters and they were really moved by it. The man is a hell of a writer and I will look for more of his article.
I believe it was Clarks grandfather who said that. He was the mens coach at Dowling for a long time?

Reactions: RothMatt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT