ADVERTISEMENT

California runs on 100% renewable energy

Was this "brief" period associated with a goldilocks sunlight situation?

“Runs”

so every semi, truck, car, box truck, airplane runs on electricity?

Really? No gas guzzling cars sitting bumper to bumper on the Santa Monica Freeway? Damn that’s impressive

The manufacturing and maintenance of all those shelf-life solar panels relies heavily upon fossil fuels, but yes.
Contrast California with Texas, whose power grid completely collapses with a little glazing of ice. Wonder what’s different about those running these two states?

Look at my post #9 in this thread. I refer to specialized transport.
A huge percent of industrial equipment has run electrically for most of the last century.
Trains are driven by electric motors produced on board. The switch to battery packs will be simple.
Take off the blinders.
What kind of batteries?

If the renewable generation equals the total state load, for however long it was, then they were running on 100% renewable energy. The power flowing into the state would equal the power flowing out on other tie lines.

It may for a brief amount of time. It usually depends on what the load is at that specific time. I’ve seen enough rolling blackouts to know the state of California isn’t completely there with renewables as they couldn’t keep up all the time with a combo of renewables and non-renewables.

It’s not that I don’t want it to work, it’s just not there yet. As far as the battery thing that @Joes Place is referring to, we really aren’t there yet.

Reactions: billanole
There’s a huge, huge leap from what they claim for a blip in time and actually being able to change 100% electric cars overnight at every home, state-wide.
You do realize that CA used to have brown-outs during sunny summer months, when everyone's running their AC, right?

Being able to handle that daytime surge with 100% renewables is pretty impressive.

It’s not that I don’t want it to work, it’s just not there yet. As far as the battery thing that @Joes Place is referring to, we really aren’t there yet.
No one is arguing we are there yet.

The point is, we are getting pretty close, and investing in that infrastructure is worthwhile. Because in the long-run, renewables and batteries are much cheaper.

The point is, we are getting pretty close, and investing in that infrastructure is worthwhile. Because in the long-run, renewables and batteries are much cheaper.
For the present time, I think we will be “there” when the renewable to fossil ratio will be in the 80/20 or 90/10 range. Renewable fuel costs are zero and labor costs are minimal. And every Mw they produce is one less Mw of crap being put into the air.

But we’re operating on a power grid that was designed for something else. If you built a large generation plant you also had to build/purchase the transmission line to get that power to your load. Now the wind farms are sited where the wind is optimal and tied into existing transmission lines. This causes other problems on those lines. I don’t think there will be any quick conversion to total renewables any time soon.

For the present time, I think we will be “there” when the renewable to fossil ratio will be in the 80/20 or 90/10 range. Renewable fuel costs are zero and labor costs are minimal. And every Mw they produce is one less Mw of crap being put into the air.

But we’re operating on a power grid that was designed for something else. If you built a large generation plant you also had to build/purchase the transmission line to get that power to your load. Now the wind farms are sited where the wind is optimal and tied into existing transmission lines. This causes other problems on those lines. I don’t think there will be any quick conversion to total renewables any time soon.

Indeed.

It is why significant investment in grid infrastructure is necessary.
And the cost benefit is that energy will get cheaper over time, not more expensive.

US also needs more nuclear power to bridge the gap, and thorium reactors should be in the next-decade plans. Thorium was dumped as an idea in the 1970s, because it was incapable of producing material for nuclear warheads.

Right wing pundits and politicians bought by oil companies told them to be mad. A hundred years ago if the railroad lobby wanted them to think flying was bad, they’d mock the Wright brothers’ brief first flight.
Deep thoughts…………

From Flickshagwell

Because a lot of people have been claiming this is all of waste of time, global warming is a hoax, and fossil fuels will always be superior. To acknowledge that this is a good thing would create some severe cognitive dissonance.

Indeed. Wind farms kill birds, EVs have batteries that harm the environment, solar farms hurt trees and birds, hydro damages the ecosystem etc...

All of that comes out when there is discussion on forward progress for any of those methods of power generation. It's kind of odd since the people seemingly concerned about the environmental impact don't otherwise seem to care about what is being impacted. They just know that the people who care about renewable energy also care about those other things so in your face libs!.

The panels will create hotspots and fires from time to time, usually they can catch them before by flying drone or planes over the solar farms with infrared cameras.

The panels get dirty too so sometimes depending on where they are at they have to hose them down.

Depending on the type of panels, they can either be on one axis or two and are constantly adjusting. They breakdown and have a crew working on them constantly.

Do fossil fuel plants require less extensive and less expensive maintenance ?

Huh. Some triggered cons on this thread telling everyone how it is impossible? So shocking.

Sorry to burst your bubble but we are heading to the day when the grid component for cities, states and countries is all renewable energy. This does not mean transportation and manufacturing and construction won’t be using fossil fuels. But yes, we are getting to the point where your house and business will not be using them in the decades to come. And no it won’t be out weighed by maintenance of solar panels or charging a car (lol) Sorry that gives you a sad.

Huh. Some triggered cons on this thread telling everyone how it is impossible? So shocking.

Sorry to burst your bubble but we are heading to the day when the grid component for cities, states and countries is all renewable energy. This does not mean transportation and manufacturing and construction won’t be using fossil fuels. But yes, we are getting to the point where your house and business will not be using them in the decades to come. And no it won’t be out weighed by maintenance of solar panels or charging a car (lol) Sorry that gives you a sad.
Preach.

A couple of months ago, I was in Salt Lake City, doing some work at a new substation. Going through the heart of the city from east to west and up and over the mountains were massive 235,000 volt transmission lines. Talking with the linemen at the substation about it, they said it’s from coal plants in n Wyoming and the power was being sent to California. They were laughing because it’s a way that California can say they’re green because they’re technically not using fossil fuels, just some of the power that is being imported is.
Those crazy linemen. The preeminent knowledge-bank for the electrical grid, as well as gittin a good laugh at all of us out here in Califor-ni-a.

A couple of months ago, I was in Salt Lake City, doing some work at a new substation. Going through the heart of the city from east to west and up and over the mountains were massive 235,000 volt transmission lines. Talking with the linemen at the substation about it, they said it’s from coal plants in n Wyoming and the power was being sent to California. They were laughing because it’s a way that California can say they’re green because they’re technically not using fossil fuels, just some of the power that is being imported is.

Meme%2030%20%20Thats%20not%20how%20this%20works.ashx

Reactions: Joes Place

I’m dubious about what “pretty close” means but you are probably right and have more experience with renewable energy than I do.

Those crazy linemen. The preeminent knowledge-bank for the electrical grid, as well as gittin a good laugh at all of us out here in Califor-ni-a.
Odd post is odd. The company and Linemen we were doing work for was PacifiCorp. A simple google search will tell you that PacifiCorp does indeed provide power to certain areas in Northern California via coal plants in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.

Yeah, it’s crazy that the guys that install and maintain the transmission lines for that company know what those same transmission lines are doing.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
I believe that is the goal, isnt it? We have a chance to be a world leader in renewable energy and that would seem like something worth pursuing, right?
It’s 100% necessary. I don’t understand the backlash. I would if California was in some big ass economic crisis from achieving this, but they’re not.

Odd post is odd. The company and Linemen we were doing work for was PacifiCorp. A simple google search will tell you that PacifiCorp does indeed provide power to certain areas in Northern California via coal plants in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado.

Yeah, it’s crazy that the guys that install and maintain the transmission lines for that company know what those same transmission lines are doing.

This is exactly the company where I visited the coal fire plant.

Reactions: Chuck C
Oh, yeah... California NEVER has brownouts or blackouts.

GTF out of town with this shit.

CA now has enough solar installed that brownouts aren't what they were 2 decades ago.

The solar provides the electricity when it is most needed.

What would be crazy is believing that those linemen had any idea what the load flow on that line was at the moment of their little joke. There could be 500 Mw flowing on that line into California, but if the generation in CA matched the load that same 500 Mw would flow out on other tie lines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT