ADVERTISEMENT

California to start setting residential rates for electricity based on income....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
If you live in California, how much you pay for electricity will soon be tied to much you earn. A state law passed last summer requires the California Public Utilities Commission, or CPUC, to approve a pricing structure that incorporates a flat fee with a sliding scale based on income.

Currently, Californians pay for the energy they use and the cost of upgrading the grid, settling lawsuits related to wildfires and providing assistance to low-income customers is built into the per-kilowatt-hour price.

Under the new system, however, funds for these programs would come from "income-graduated fixed charges."

Proponents say the change is needed because, as energy prices continue to increase in the state, poorer households are seeing a bigger chunk of their paychecks going toward repairing California's aged energy infrastructure.

It's an unprecedented move: In an April blog post, energy economist Ahmad Faruqui said more than 170 investor-owned utilities nationwide incorporate a fixed rate -- the median being $10 and the highest $40.

None has an income-based component.

Legislators left exactly what this new system would look like -- and how customers' income would be verified -- up to the CPUC, which put the call out for proposals.

The law affects customers of California's three largest investor-owned utilities -- Pacific Gas & Electric, Southern California Edison and San Diego Gas & Electric. Combined, they service approximately three-quarters of the state.

The utilities jointly proposed a plan that would "support affordability and increased bill stability," according to their testimony to the CPUC.

It incorporates four income tiers, starting at the federal poverty level for a family of four. Because they're different sizes and cover different regions, each company would charge their customers a different dollar amount.

The retail price for electricity in California is among the highest in the nation. In March, the average per-kilowatt-hour rate was about 27 cents, almost double the national average.

With a fixed charge in place, SCE estimates its customers' per-kilowatt-hour rate will decrease by about a third, KTLA reported.

SDG&E customers, who pay the highest price for electricity in the continental US, will reportedly see their rate drop by 42%.

"This is really about taking our existing rates and really changing how electricity is priced for customers," SDG&E senior vice president Scott Crider told KPBS. "To make it simpler, to make it more predictable and to really create that saving for low-income customers."

Lower- and middle-income customers will see savings right away, Crider said. Many high-earners will eventually benefit, he added, as the popularity of electric vehicles and heat pumps increases.

But Faruqui warned the plan would punish customers who use less electricity, especially higher earners.

"They would be penalized for using less energy, which is the opposite of the state's goal to use energy efficiently," he wrote. According to Faruqui's calculations, a household in the highest bracket now paying $50 a month would see their bill soar 140%.

"Millions of customers fall in this category," he added. "Many spent thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, to make their house energy efficient and to supply it with self-generated solar energy. Their investment will be rendered wasted."

Andrew Gong is a research engineer with Aurora Solar, a software company that develops rooftop and commercial photovoltaic systems.

Gong said it would be "unfortunate" if the power companies' costlier plan was chosen, "but we're not worried."

"It may take longer to pay back, but solar will still be a good value for most homeowners," he added.

The commission is looking at almost a dozen proposals. The Utility Reform Network (TURN), a nonprofit advocacy group, pitched a more modest flat fee that would average out to about $36 a month for all customers.

The Sierra Club's proposal would come to, on average, $28 for PG&E customers, $37 for SCE customers and $30 for SDG&E customers. The environmental group has historically opposed flat fees.

"It discourages energy conservation and efficiency," Sierra Club attorney Rose Monahan told Canary Media. "And if you have a high fixed charge, it can discourage people from investing in rooftop solar or a battery."

Whatever system is chosen, it could be in place by 2025: According to a spokesperson for the CPUC, an administrative law judge should issue a decision on the proposals in the first quarter of 2024. The CPUC board then has until July to approve the plan or come up with its own.

Smart. California is trying to get the Hollywood Elite to pay for the grid. Another option would be to host a telethon and just ask them to pay for it.

• Haha
Reactions: seminoleed
Rich or poor, if you have a flat fee for electricity, what's to stop everyone from running the A/C on full blast 24/7, or not giving a crap about all the lights being on, or otherwise wasting electricity?

Last edited:
You'd think a flat fee per kwh for electricity would still be progressive, as it would cost a lot more to cool your 5k sqft McMansion than it would a 1k sqft single wide.

Why mess with it? Seems like all the rich people will go to solar panels, and the poor will be left to cover the costs of traditional electricity.

You'd think a flat fee per kwh for electricity would still be progressive, as it would cost a lot more to cool your 5k sqft McMansion than it would a 1k sqft single wide.

Why mess with it? Seems like all the rich people will go to solar panels, and the poor will be left to cover the costs of traditional electricity.
I'd like to believe if I were in the million/billion dollar club, I'd just want to make life better for as many as I could. Seriously, I'm pretty damn comfortable with my current income and really would want to have a titch more to travel more. If I were say, Tom Cruise, rich, I think there'd be a crap ton of people I could help.

Couldn't these people, if pooled, end hunger in America, pay off the deficit...something major?

Smart. California is trying to get the Hollywood Elite to pay for the grid. Another option would be to host a telethon and just ask them to pay for it.
It'd be smarter for them to charge by how much you use.

Provide credits for lower income folks.

Tier the rates like they do for water.
First 500 kWHrs are cheaper; next 500 are more. Once you go above that, rates go up substantially for every 100kWHr more you use

If you're in a low income bracket, you can get lower-Tier rates.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I'd like to believe if I were in the million/billion dollar club, I'd just want to make life better for as many as I could. Seriously, I'm pretty damn comfortable with my current income and really would want to have a titch more to travel more. If I were say, Tom Cruise, rich, I think there'd be a crap ton of people I could help.

Couldn't these people, if pooled, end hunger in America, pay off the deficit...something major?

If you took ALL the money from the uber-wealthy and redistributed it to everyone else we'd all get like $37 each or something like that.

If you took ALL the money from the uber-wealthy and redistributed it to everyone else we'd all get like $37 each or something like that.
Well, I don't need it, so you can factor me out of the equation. Hell, the government wasted a $hit load of money by throwing me stimulus checks. I hired a bunch of small businesses, but that was about the best I could do other than mail it back.

I agree with wanting to help people if you have that kind of abundance.

But...

There's a difference, to me, between doing it because you want to, or because it's right, and doing it because The Man decides you have to.

There's a difference, to me, between doing it because you want to, or because it's right, and doing it because The Man decides you have to.
Lance Barber Yes GIF by CBS

That’d be fine. Why should rich people get to pollute more in a place where everyone has to breathe the same air?

Speeding tickets should be income based as well.

Reactions: Huey Grey
That’d be fine. Why should rich people get to pollute more in a place where everyone has to breathe the same air?

Speeding tickets should be income based as well.
Speeding to get to a minimum wage job = $12.50
Speeding to get to a gala = $12,500

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: billanole

Oh they will tax your solar panels too.

Reactions: The Tradition
So which is more unfair here...basing utility rates on income (California) or gifting state collected tax money to underwrite private/parochial grade school, high school educations?
Seems that more people will benefit from utility assistance.
If u don’t like it, don’t move to California (if this ever does indeed become law).

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT