ADVERTISEMENT

Calling TO clarification?

hawk_it

HR All-State
Jul 22, 2004
When the player has the ball, does he have to signal in order to get the time out or can he verbally ask for it?

Can a teammate without the ball call time out when the ball is in play?

Seems like that TO at the end of regulation in the Minnesota game was called but maybe not signalled for.

I do know the bench can not call time out while play is resumed.
Any clarification would help.

I'm assuming that any player in the field of play can either verbally request a time out or request one by a common gesture which is typically used to signal a time out.

I'm just guessing, not actually looking up any rules.

When the player has the ball, does he have to signal in order to get the time out or can he verbally ask for it?

Can a teammate without the ball call time out when the ball is in play?

Seems like that TO at the end of regulation in the Minnesota game was called but maybe not signalled for.

I do know the bench can not call time out while play is resumed.
Any clarification would help.

Verbal is binding.

The guy who tied the ball up was Out of Bounds. The TO is inconsequential.

Another player on the floor CAN call timeout though.

Anyone on the floor can call TO.

What happened was the Baseline official was out of position. He had no right to call that a jump ball, he came in way too late.

The other two officials were down at the other end of the floor?? One of those two guys was out of position as well. They were not looking for a Time-out.

Again though if Brady dribbles forward he gets bailed out with a foul. I don't know why he thought he could hold the ball?? There was still 20 seconds on the game clock and 25 on shot clock. He would of have to advance the ball in 5 seconds before a 10 second violation would of been called.

I think he knew he had time outs to burn and thought instead of trying to dribble out of there and taking a chance of getting it stolen he was planning on using a time out. Which he clearly should have gotten. I don't blame brady at all.

Reactions: 24 so far
I think he knew he had time outs to burn and thought instead of trying to dribble out of there and taking a chance of getting it stolen he was planning on using a time out. Which he clearly should have gotten. I don't blame brady at all.

If he was wanting to use a TO, he should of signaled it right away. YOU NEVER dribble back towards your own hoop and especially into a corner. That's a recipe for disaster right there.

Again I believe the refs missed it and it sucks. For future games it would be wise to take the TO right away or "force" the action and make the defense foul you. Once they saw he retreated backwards they knew he was scared and unfortunately it took a missed call to "gift" minny the win.

Reactions: papabeef
If he was wanting to use a TO, he should of signaled it right away. YOU NEVER dribble back towards your own hoop and especially into a corner. That's a recipe for disaster right there.

Again I believe the refs missed it and it sucks. For future games it would be wise to take the TO right away or "force" the action and make the defense foul you. Once they saw he retreated backwards they knew he was scared and unfortunately it took a missed call to "gift" minny the win.

Except that I'm sure that he was trying to burn up as much time as he could, which is why instead of calling time out right when he received the ball he attempted to put space between himself and the defenders to kill precious seconds. Dribbling back into the corner with the intent to call time out is much safer than trying to split the double team or attempt to pass across the court. Brady made the right decision the refs just blew it.

Apparently if you are Iowa, you need to hold up a big sign that says "Tiime Out", and hope the official sees it.
Maybe some students can bring in some signs next game that day timeout on them. Show some displeasure with the terrible officiating in this league. But then again, do the students actually watch the games?

excellent post. they missed the foot. brady tried to make a TO call while he was bent over protecting the ball like a grade schooler. he put the ball in his stomach and bent over horrible way to protect the ball. even if they make the right call there is no guarantee we dont turn it over or miss free throws.

Except that I'm sure that he was trying to burn up as much time as he could, which is why instead of calling time out right when he received the ball he attempted to put space between himself and the defenders to kill precious seconds. Dribbling back into the corner with the intent to call time out is much safer than trying to split the double team or attempt to pass across the court. Brady made the right decision the refs just blew it.
sorry no way brady did this the right way.

sorry no way brady did this the right way.

So how exactly would you have done it because it seems to me Brady did the safest thing? The only complaint I might have with Brady is that he should have been more demonstrative in his call for timeout. Ultimately the officials really screwed this up and they are the ones to blame.

So how exactly would you have done it because it seems to me Brady did the safest thing? The only complaint I might have with Brady is that he should have been more demonstrative in his call for timeout. Ultimately the officials really screwed this up and they are the ones to blame.
nope. bra

What happened was the Baseline official was out of position. He had no right to call that a jump ball, he came in way too late.

The other two officials were down at the other end of the floor?? One of those two guys was out of position as well. They were not looking for a Time-out.

Again though if Brady dribbles forward he gets bailed out with a foul. I don't know why he thought he could hold the ball?? There was still 20 seconds on the game clock and 25 on shot clock. He would of have to advance the ball in 5 seconds before a 10 second violation would of been called.
he was not out of position. then who has the right to call a jump ball in that situation ? he was the closest official. they were not at the other end of the floor , they were hanging out at half court where they should be.

you dont burn up time in backcourt.poor decision.

Reactions: unIowa
Maybe some students can bring in some signs next game that day timeout on them. Show some displeasure with the terrible officiating in this league. But then again, do the students actually watch the games?

This. Student section needs to make this happen.

I'm not going to lie, I'm worried about the rest of the season. I think it would be very easy for the players to stay bitter about the end of that game and channel frustration into a distraction. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are able to translate it into motivation for the rest of the way.

All 3 officials screwed up. Both J Bo and Baer were running toward Brady signalling timeout. At least one of the two officials away from the play should have seen them. The official on the baseline should have heard Brady calling timeout, but probably could not really see the ball, because he was out of position. This even ignores that the most definitive factor. The Goofer player was standing out of bounds. I have never heard a clear explanation of whether the play could have been reviewed. I suspect that Iowa would have had to notice the Minny player was out and request the review, but I am not absolutely sure that would make the play reviewable. Bottom line is the officials botched the call, which almost certainly cost Iowa the game.

Reactions: SCKCtb93
It could not be reviewed, as there was no violation to review. Someone posted the reference to the rule book if you want to get that in depth. There must be an out of bounds violation ruled to review, and in that instance it has to be who the ball went off last, not whether a player was out of bounds.

All 3 officials screwed up. Both J Bo and Baer were running toward Brady signalling timeout. At least one of the two officials away from the play should have seen them. The official on the baseline should have heard Brady calling timeout, but probably could not really see the ball, because he was out of position. This even ignores that the most definitive factor. The Goofer player was standing out of bounds. I have never heard a clear explanation of whether the play could have been reviewed. I suspect that Iowa would have had to notice the Minny player was out and request the review, but I am not absolutely sure that would make the play reviewable. Bottom line is the officials botched the call, which almost certainly cost Iowa the game.
18 turnovers

Found this on Gopher Hole...
1jbrvv.jpg

Reactions: papabeef
nope. bra

he was not out of position. then who has the right to call a jump ball in that situation ? he was the closest official. they were not at the other end of the floor , they were hanging out at half court where they should be.

I watched the replay multiple times (as painful as that is)...Beaver was clearly out of position..he ran over from under the basket (because he was out of position)...he clearly was looking for something that did not include hearing BE call timeout let alone checking for the Minny foot...he was looking for a tie up..its that simple.

Larry the short ref took off (upcourt) once Baer passed the ball ..he also should have maintain his position considering the ball was not headed anywhere near up court.

Regardless of what BE did or didnt do...he didnt travel...he didnt throw the ball away..he did call a timeout before being tied up...Mr. Beaver blew it...its that simple.

nope. bra

In the wide span, there are not at half court. You see Wymer take off down the floor and scorotto as well. It not until Beaver blows his whistle you see Scorotto come running in from half court.

If they were at half court, how could neither of them see BAER running across the floor with his hands in the air?? Sorry those two were out of position.

Especially Scorotto should of been by Minny's bench watching for anything. Wymer is the other side of the court, he could release in case of pass over the top, but scorotto should of stayed and given help.

Young officials, they watch the ball too much. Veteran officials do not make those mistakes. This crew also almost blew a shot clock violation OT. It was hands down one of the worst displays of officiating in recent memory.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
If you can't tell definitively who has possession of the ball, you can't grant a timeout to Iowa there simply because some player at mid-court is yelling for it.

Going to say this one more time. You NEVER dribble into a double team, throw a cross court pass or throw a lob pass on your end of the court in that situation. That said he also only had 5 seconds or so to cross half court. He was to hold the ball. Let time tick off the clock and then PROPERLY call time out. Reducing the amount of time on the clock, gettting a fresh 10 seconds and then taking more time off before taking an intentional foul. Officials should have known a time out was coming and everyone was asking for one. Officials just CHOSE to ignore the request. Wasn't Brady's mistake!

If...you...can't...tell...definitively...who...has...possession...of..the...ball...you...can't...grant...a...timeout...to...Iowa...there...simply...because...some...player...at...mid...court...is...yelling...for...it.

Also, in case nobody caught this nugget. Per NCAA update: "A rule prohibiting coaches from calling a timeout in live-ball situations went into effect last season, allowing officials to grant only timeouts that were called by players."

More on that: "Last season, the most common lament from coaches was how they could not call a timeout in any live-ball situation. That is still the case ... mostly. Now, coaches will have the ability to call a timeout when a ball is "live" after a made basket on an inbound situation.

The idea behind getting rid of coaches calling TOs in live-ball situations came down to a lot of guys just yelling "timeout!!" when a ball was in a scrum and possession wasn't determined."

And this: "A player may call a timeout during a game only if he has control of the ball and signals the referee. When the ball is "dead" (not in play), either the coach or a player may signal a timeout.

The visual signal that is usually given is a "T" sign formed by placing the palm of one hand horizontally over the upright fingers of the other hand, which is being held vertically. Oral signals are usually the words "time" or "timeout" yelled at the referee. Because basketball games are usually loud and fast-paced, coaches and players typically use both signals simultaneously in order to get the referee's attention."

If you can't tell definitively who has possession of the ball, you can't grant a timeout to Iowa there simply because some player at mid-court is yelling for it.

so you join us yesterday...:confused:...welcome buddy..

the player calling for the TO (heard on TV) before the jump ball call...HAD THE FREAKEN ball & he wasn't standing at mid-court...does that help?
:eek:

Reactions: 24 so far
If...you...can't...tell...definitively...who...has...possession...of..the...ball...you...can't...grant...a...timeout...to...Iowa...there...simply...because...some...player...at...mid...court...is...yelling...for...it.

Also, in case nobody caught this nugget. Per NCAA update: "A rule prohibiting coaches from calling a timeout in live-ball situations went into effect last season, allowing officials to grant only timeouts that were called by players."

More on that: "Last season, the most common lament from coaches was how they could not call a timeout in any live-ball situation. That is still the case ... mostly. Now, coaches will have the ability to call a timeout when a ball is "live" after a made basket on an inbound situation.

The idea behind getting rid of coaches calling TOs in live-ball situations came down to a lot of guys just yelling "timeout!!" when a ball was in a scrum and possession wasn't determined."

And this: "A player may call a timeout during a game only if he has control of the ball and signals the referee. When the ball is "dead" (not in play), either the coach or a player may signal a timeout.

The visual signal that is usually given is a "T" sign formed by placing the palm of one hand horizontally over the upright fingers of the other hand, which is being held vertically. Oral signals are usually the words "time" or "timeout" yelled at the referee. Because basketball games are usually loud and fast-paced, coaches and players typically use both signals simultaneously in order to get the referee's attention."
Let's take what you just wrote and put in context then. The official was 3-4 feet away from Brady, no one was in contact with him as yet, and you can clearly see him yelling time out with the official looking at him. You think that fits? And no players DO NOT take their hands off the ball to make a nice fancy V with their hands in that situation.

the.....time.....out....was....called....before ....any....tie....up.....it....wasn't....at...mid...court......you.....hear....the ....request....on...TV ....

just..................................................stop

so you join us yesterday...:confused:...welcome buddy..

the player calling for the TO (heard on TV) before the jump ball call...HAD THE FREAKEN ball & he wasn't standing at mid-court...does that help?
:eek:

No, he was furiously dribbling to the baseline where he got tied up. Tell me where exactly he signaled for the time out between dribbling and being tied up. I don't see it in the video. Show me a picture.

While it's nice that a parabolic microphone pointed directly at the players caught him saying "time out", that doesn't account for what the ref was actually able to hear.

Let's take what you just wrote and put in context then. The official was 3-4 feet away from Brady, no one was in contact with him as yet, and you can clearly see him yelling time out with the official looking at him. You think that fits? And no players DO NOT take their hands off the ball to make a nice fancy V with their hands in that situation.

the guy is trolling...if he isn't he really doesn't know what happened...

No, he was furiously dribbling to the baseline where he got tied up. Tell me where exactly he signaled for the time out between dribbling and being tied up. I don't see it in the video. Show me a picture.

While it's nice that a parabolic microphone pointed directly at the players caught him saying "time out", that doesn't account for what the ref was actually able to hear.

painful....OH..I assume the ref didn't hear him..he was out of position..he better not have...but ya you want Brady to signal for a timeout between dribbling & and being tied up...

nice..

So its your expert opinion that brady was incapable of talking and walking at the same time? If you had actually seen the video you would have seen, not heard him calling time out and also seen that the official was looking right at him and also had to have seen it. If the offfcial neither saw nor heard the time out then he would have to have been both blind and deaf.

The official was 3-4 feet away from Brady, no one was in contact with him as yet, and you can clearly see him yelling time out with the official looking at him.

I think you need to watch the video more slowly and get out a yardstick. Brady's on the 3 point line. The ref is on the other side of the lane. By my measure, that's approximately 25 feet.

attachment.php

Now he dribbles toward the baseline and straight into Murphy (still in bounds at this point). Murphy's hands go straight to the ball as it's picked up, and also Murphy is blocking the view of the ref, who now advances to the other side of the lane (still 16 feet away from the ball). Murphy does step out of bounds, but whether that was before or after the tie up is debatable. Anyway, tell me when the ref was 3-4 feet away before Murphy got his hands on the ball...

It can't be a jump ball.... it is either a timeout to Iowa or out of bounds (or foul) on Minny. The defender for Minny was standing out of bounds when he grabbed the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT