ADVERTISEMENT

Can somebody tell me what I am missing here?

NCHawkeye24

HR MVP
Apr 19, 2021
If Iowa beats Michigan, how can they possibly justify talking about Michigan and Ohio State for possibilities for the playoffs? When all their records would be equal, how could you totally dismiss the actual champion? I don't understand.

Just noticed that during the Utah / Oregon game as well. Herbstreit said according to the "Bear" Michigan would still get in. Seriously, would not worry about the freaking bald hairy bear **** whatever it is.

I get that, but it's Herby too! So they want to give all this credit to Michigan for beating Ohio state at home, but not to Iowa who beat Michigan, who beat Ohio State! In what world would that winner of that not get the nod?!

If Iowa beats Michigan, how can they possibly justify talking about Michigan and Ohio State for possibilities for the playoffs? When all their records would be equal, how could you totally dismiss the actual champion? I don't understand.
That was just... annoying. Not sure how they can even entertain that sort of jump, but wouldn't surprise me. Next year they won't even bother with games and go straight to the playoff.

How many P5 teams would go undefeated with cincys schedule? For God's sake, their second best win is Indiana, a game they really should have lost, and they didn't win 1 game in the B1G. I am sorry, they may be good, but I don't care, you just can't compare them to a B1G team that plays 9 conference games, plus a championship game. In Iowas case, they will have played 11 P5 teams after the ccg with what, 7 or 8 of them ranked at the time with 3 top 10 and 2 top 5 teams.

A conference champ Iowa won't get picked above a 2 loss Alabama
The problem is the committee will not force Georgia to have to turn around and play Alabama again in the Semies.

They would have to cheat and "move the line" so to speak to justify Bama staying at #3 if everyone else around them loses and Bama drops a close one.

Even if Cincy wins you gotta believe the Committee is dreaming of ways to screw them out of a birth.
It wouldn't be screwing them, they have played 1 team with a pulse all season. Their season and any p5 team's season is an apples and oranges comparison, even the b12/acc/p12

I went to five thirty eight. If Georgia, Houston, Iowa and Baylor all win, it predicts Georgia, Baylor, ND and Alabama in the playoff

How many P5 teams would go undefeated with cincys schedule? For God's sake, their second best win is Indiana, a game they really should have lost, and they didn't win 1 game in the B1G. I am sorry, they may be good, but I don't care, you just can't compare them to a B1G team that plays 9 conference games, plus a championship game. In Iowas case, they will have played 11 P5 teams after the ccg with what, 7 or 8 of them ranked at the time with 3 top 10 and 2 top 5 teams.
Yes. If Iowa's win over a "ranked" Indiana is discounted, so should Cincy's win over Indiana. And Indiana actually gave Cincy a game, where Iowa had the game won in the second quarter. And Indiana could have beat Cincy had Tom Allen not gone all nutso and taken some FG's early in the game. It's why the playoffs need to be expanded to 12 or 16. Put in at-large teams that actually take risks by playing a decent non-conference team and you would still have room to add in a Group of 5 team if they deserved it.

If Iowa beats Michigan tonight, in any fashion, neither Michigan nor Ohio State are making the playoffs. There will be no....zero....none...zelch....2 loss, non-conference champions getting selected for the playoffs. And...yep...that includes Alabama if they lose to Georgia (which they will).

If Iowa beats Michigan tonight, in any fashion, neither Michigan nor Ohio State are making the playoffs. There will be no....zero....none...zelch....2 loss, non-conference champions getting selected for the playoffs. And...yep...that includes Alabama if they lose to Georgia (which they will).
So who gets in if Iowa and Baylor win today? Georgia, Cincy, Notre Dame, and......?

I don’t see a scenario in which Iowa gets into the playoff. Maybe if we blast Michigan and win by 30, but even then I doubt it.
If Witvoet is back in the review booth, it’s a moot point anyway.

We aren't getting in the playoff no matter what happens tonight, nor should we be.

So who gets in if Iowa and Baylor win today? Georgia, Cincy, Notre Dame, and......?
If you're assuming that Cincy wins....then in your scenario it would come down to Baylor and Iowa for the 4th playoff spot. Any kind of Iowa win over Michigan would be considered a better win than Baylor beating OK State. That said....Iowa is significantly hampered by their 13 ranking. It would be hard for the committee, under any circumstances, to pull Iowa all the way from 13th to 4th. Certainly, it would help if Cincy lost.

If you're assuming that Cincy wins....then in your scenario it would come down to Baylor and Iowa for the 4th playoff spot. Any kind of Iowa win over Michigan would be considered a better win than Baylor beating OK State. That said....Iowa is significantly hampered by their 13 ranking. It would be hard for the committee, under any circumstances, to pull Iowa all the way from 13th to 4th. Certainly, it would help if Cincy lost.
I don't see how a B1G champion with a neutral win over Michigan wouldn't jump teams likeBYU, OSU and Ole Miss.

We aren't getting in the playoff no matter what happens tonight, nor should we be.
That's your opinion. Terrific. Hawks will be in the playoffs...without question...if the following happens:
Iowa wins
Georgia wins
Baylor wins
Houston wins
Utah wins (already happened)

For all of that to happen it's clearly VERY unlikely. But...since you said Iowa won't get in "no matter what happens".....the scenario above is a legitimate path. And yep, that's my opinion.

Reactions: ichawk24
This our 1st game against one of the top 3 east teams. Our schedules are exactly even ;)

Should either go, not usually but this is a weird year

That's your opinion. Terrific. Hawks will be in the playoffs...without question...if the following happens:
Iowa wins
Georgia wins
Baylor wins
Houston wins
Utah wins (already happened)

For all of that to happen it's clearly VERY unlikely. But...since you said Iowa won't get in "no matter what happens".....the scenario above is a legitimate path. And yep, that's my opinion.
It's cute you think they'll leap frog us over OSU ,:)

Even if Cincy wins you gotta believe the Committee is dreaming of ways to screw them out of a berth.
IMHO, they wouldn't be screwing them out of anything. Have you seen who Cincy played? They had one tough game, and they won it, beating ND. Cool. But Tulane? East Carolina? And on and on and on? Gimme a break. Fifteen teams, maybe more, would have gone undefeated against that schedule. You wanna be a big boy. Play a big boy schedule.

Do you really think Cincy would win @ Madison, @ Columbus, @ Ann Arbor, @ Minneapolis? I don't know how you could assume Cincy would beat Michigan State or Penn State or even Illinois. How do ya think Cincy would do against Georgia? LOL

Cincy has no case. Sorry.

Yep, and no one thought Iowa would beat the shit out of OSU in 17. Cincy wins give them a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT