ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain why things like This is Us and Marriage Story are popular?

I’ve never heard of Marriage Story. Most of my friends like This is Us because it’s relatable. I stopped watching after about 2 seasons because I got tired of it. Things like Randall running for office in a city he didn’t live in. Too much that just isn’t plausible. But apparently I’m in the minority because it’s definitely wildly popular.

th

Or so I’ve been told.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I dont understand why anyone wants to see real life stuff. Its already seared into my mind.

I say this all the time to my wife and kids.... If I want to watch drama I'll just turn off the TV. TV is for absurdist humor and sports along with the occasional car show, most everything else sucks

Oh, and the reason those shows are popular is because Americans are stupid

Reactions: JRHawk2003
I dont understand why anyone wants to see real life stuff. Its already seared into my mind.

Because people like to think/know others are going through the same thing that they may be going through? How do others deal with the same issues? Of course it's just fiction so it's sometimes over the top but I assume that's why.

For those not going through what the protagonist is going through? Maybe they have and are empathizing or haven't and are sympathizing?

Can’t speak to This Is Us. Marriage Story is incredibly well done. The performance by Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver is one of the best I’ve seen. Laura Dern and the other lawyer are great as well. Idk if that’s why other people like it but that’s my reason.

Because people like to think/know others are going through the same thing that they may be going through? How do others deal with the same issues? Of course it's just fiction so it's sometimes over the top but I assume that's why.

For those not going through what the protagonist is going through? Maybe they have and are empathizing or haven't and are sympathizing?

You of all people Fred.

I’ve never seen a second of any of these shows so I probably shouldn’t be giving my 2 cents - but if they’re filled with drama, that’s my guess. A lot of people love drama.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
They dont have real life struggles?
I don't get it either. Maybe it makes them feel better to see others suffering more than they are. I don't know, many women I've met love reading books and watching shows that make them cry. I don't get it, but then they often don't understand why I enjoy movies and shows where things get blown up all the time and moments of sentiment are limited to one line that's about 4 words long, like, "I love you 3000".

I don't get it either. Maybe it makes them feel better to see others suffering more than they are. I don't know, many women I've met love reading books and watching shows that make them cry. I don't get it, but then they often don't understand why I enjoy movies and shows where things get blown up all the time and moments of sentiment are limited to one line that's about 4 words long, like, "I love you 3000".

Escapism is easy to understand

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT