ADVERTISEMENT

Can you request to not be called cis-gendered without being labeled transphobe?

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
If you are just a boring old male and someone calls you “cis-gendered”, can you say, “No. I’m not cis-gendered. Please don’t call me that. I’m just a man. I don’t use pronouns or cis labels for myself.”

Would that be offensive to a room full of people who like using those things? Would that person get attacked or would they say, “Cool! You got it!”

This might be useful information to know.

2-25-21%20I%20Am%20A%20Man%20%28Copyrighted%20Photo%20by%20Richard%20L.%20Copley%2C%20Used%20with%20Permission%29.jpg

If you are just a boring old male and someone calls you “cis-gendered”, can you say, “No. I’m not cis-gendered. Please don’t call me that. I’m just a man. I don’t use pronouns or cis labels for myself.”

Would that be offensive to a room full of people who like using those things? Would that person get attacked or would they say, “Cool! You got it!”

Has this honestly happened to you?

Reactions: 3boysmom
So, you can’t refuse being labeled something while being told you must call others by certain labels? No way.
I think we're in agreement. Just saying, if given their ways, the trans movement and supporters will gladly label you a "transphobe" just for having a different opinion.

And yes, they wish to require their would-be subjects to use their new language. INSANE.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I think we're in agreement. Just saying, if given their ways, the trans movement and supporters will gladly label you a "transphobe" just for having a different opinion.

And yes, they wish to require their would-be subjects to use their new language. INSANE.
And what percentage of the population would label you as a transphobe? It is hilarious what people will believe.

And what percentage of the population would label you as a transphobe? It is hilarious what people will believe.
Of the total population not a lot. I think the trans advocates are the very vocal minority. Of that population, maybe 90 - 95%?

Don't you think you are overexaggerating then?
Umm, not really ... what's your number? On this board, as a sample, seems all the trans movement supporters throw that label around pretty readily. And if you don't, good job. There are exceptions of course.

Umm, not really ... what's your number? On this board, as a sample, seems all the trans movement supporters throw that label around pretty readily. And if you don't, good job. There are exceptions of course.
This board isn't real life. Edit: What do you mean by what's my number?

Where are people in a room full of people and being labeled cis-gendered? Like, do they call out, "Hey Cis!"? What does this look like? I would think that if they call you cis you could just say, "You can call me FAU" and no one would be upset. My husband has a larger number of transgender employees than average. They have the option of putting labels on their name badges or not. Some do, some don't. No one cares. Well, I'm sure there are some who get up in arms about the people who have labels different than what they were born. But not a single transgender employee cares what the cisgender employees put on their name badge.

Where are people in a room full of people and being labeled cis-gendered? Like, do they call out, "Hey Cis!"? What does this look like? I would think that if they call you cis you could just say, "You can call me FAU" and no one would be upset. My husband has a larger number of transgender employees than average. They have the option of putting labels on their name badges or not. Some do, some don't. No one cares. Well, I'm sure there are some who get up in arms about the people who have labels different than what they were born. But not a single transgender employee cares what the cisgender employees put on their name badge.
I am sure those that argue so much have the least interaction with said population.

It just gets to be odd. I have never heard CIS outside of this board. Granted I live in Iowa.
People don't walk around calling people cis like it's some kind of label, but when conversations about gender come up it is useful to have terms. Cis-Gendered people are by far the majority of the population. But when people are discussing gender, especially in relation to LGBTQ causes where it can get messy, it's useful to have terms to identify it all. I've never once been asked to label myself as Cis-Gendered outside of those kinds of conversations.

There is a push in companies with lots of new, younger workers to allow the use of pronouns. I wouldn't want to see it be mandatory, but it's not the end of the world for me to put Him/His somewhere.

Reactions: gohawks50
People don't walk around calling people cis like it's some kind of label, but when conversations about gender come up it is useful to have terms. Cis-Gendered people are by far the majority of the population. But when people are discussing gender, especially in relation to LGBTQ causes where it can get messy, it's useful to have terms to identify it all. I've never once been asked to label myself as Cis-Gendered outside of those kinds of conversations.

There is a push in companies with lots of new, younger workers to allow the use of pronouns. I wouldn't want to see it be mandatory, but it's not the end of the world for me to put Him/His somewhere.
But why denote whether someone is cisgendered or transgendered? The gender is the gender. Giving a separate label of cisgender and transgender would be saying they are not the same, which I thought was not what people are supposed to do.

It's very interesting, my firm (say, 5000 people globally) went through a big pronoun initiative, asking everyone to note their pronouns on their emails, register their profiles within the firm database, etc. I've basically ignored it. To the firm's credit, no one has pressed the issue. To my knowledge, the only people who have listed anything other than he or she have been a couple of dei staff who have listed they. So in short, it really is an exercise in masturbation, and if anyone ever asks me to build out my email sig block, I plan to point out to them that I'm really not a fan of circle jerks.

It's the same room where everyone is indoctrinated into child grooming and critical race theory.

When did anyone refer to you as such? And why would it bother you. And if you said you were not cisgendered, then the person should correct themselves and apologize and introduce you as a transgendered male. :D

Or you could play the woke card and tell them they are transphobic for giving different labels to a transgender male vs cisgendered male and just refer to them all as males. :p

But why denote whether someone is cisgendered or transgendered? The gender is the gender. Giving a separate label of cisgender and transgender would be saying they are not the same, which I thought was not what people are supposed to do.
That's a valid point. The entire conversation is in its infancy and is messy right now. It's the first time in history that we're even starting to recognize trans people as something accepted and not something to be ashamed of. Some are pushing back, others are pushing for more, and trying to figure out what it all means leads to a lot of contradictory concepts. I think the cisgendered item is most useful when discussing the issue as a voice of a trans female and a voice of a ciscgendered female discussing what it means to be considered female becomes useful but also problematic.

The entire problem comes around our belief that there are only two genders, and you're forced to be in one. Other cultures have recognized more than two. To me the healthier place would be to get to a point where we recognize others. Science is showing that it really should come down to far more options than two, but that's a difficult thing to do and introduce and we're nowhere near ready to go there as a society. How do we get there? It's going to take some time and messiness.

Has this honestly happened to you?
No. But I saw someone in a Twitter post make the pronouncement that they were not cis and don’t call them that and thought it was an interesting situation I could imagine happening. Is it offensive to say you’re not cis-gendered to people who use those labels?

In other words would people who get offended for you mislabeling them also be offended by you not accepting their label for you? I honestly don’t know. I’m guessing it depends on the individual.

No. But I saw someone in a Twitter post make the pronouncement that they were not cis and don’t call them that and thought it was an interesting situation I could imagine happening. Is it offensive to say you’re not cis-gendered to people who use those labels?

In other words would people who get offended for you mislabeling them also be offended by you not accepting their label for you? I honestly don’t know. I’m guessing it depends on the individual.
It has never personally happened to you but you saw an example on Twitter? Funny.

Is it offensive to say you’re not cis-gendered to people who use those labels?
Not sure but if they use those labels, then they would say you were transgendered. If you are saying you are not cisgendered then you are saying you are transgendered. Probably not really what you want to say either.

Why would someone using the label bother you? Just like you refusing to use cisgendered as a label shouldn't bother them.

More people getting outraged about stuff that doesn't really happen outside of more academic conversations and maybe a value in an HR document to select.
Who is outraged? Good grief. Thst is the most overused and wrongly used word on this board AINEC.

It has never personally happened to you but you saw an example on Twitter? Funny.
Yes. What’s the issue? Someone said this. I could definitely see more people taking this stance. I can name 500 people that if you called them cisgender they would tell you to GFY. Not me. But there are a lot out there that do t pay any attention to this shot or even know it exists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT