ADVERTISEMENT

Cancer

Aug 23, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Is his gong to be one of those things we never find a total answer for? I have an uncle having surgery for lung cancer...I just don't see an earthly hope for the poor guy.

Is his gong to be one of those things we never find a total answer for? I have an uncle having surgery for lung cancer...I just don't see an earthly hope for the poor guy.

It probably will be one of those things we never find a total answer for, but many new treatments are being developed that show a lot of promise, especially immunotherapies. Of course, a lot of treatments have shown promise in the past and not panned out as well. I think strides will continue to be made in treatments, but there will never be that magical cure.

It probably will be one of those things we never find a total answer for, but many new treatments are being developed that show a lot of promise, especially immunotherapies. Of course, a lot of treatments have shown promise in the past and not panned out as well. I think strides will continue to be made in treatments, but there will never be that magical cure.
The guy had heart surgery 20+ years ago and quit for a time but then went back to sneaking smokes. My dad had heart surgery 12 years ago and quit cold turkey after smoking for 53 years. He had a CT lung scan last year and his lungs are clear now.

I was diagnosed almost 1 year ago. Mine (not lung cancer) is slow growing, and pretty much the kind you want to get (if you have to get one). With surgery (already had) and the occasional radioactive treatment (had two so far), I should be able to live out a reasonable lifespan for a mid 40's jackwagon that is 40 pounds overweight. Having said that, Lung cancer is one of the ones I would not want to get. Maybe I was lucky in the kind that I have, but I still worry way more about my heart, than living with Cancer. T's and P's to your Unc.

Reactions: TennesseeWaltz1
I was diagnosed almost 1 year ago. Mine (not lung cancer) is slow growing, and pretty much the kind you want to get (if you have to get one). With surgery (already had) and the occasional radioactive treatment (had two so far), I should be able to live out a reasonable lifespan for a mid 40's jackwagon that is 40 pounds overweight. Having said that, Lung cancer is one of the ones I would not want to get. Maybe I was lucky in the kind that I have, but I still worry way more about my heart, than living with Cancer. T's and P's to your Unc.
Preciate it bud...I wish you well in dealing with your cancer.

Reactions: linkshero
Too much money in the treatments and fund raising. No cure will ever be found. We can't afford another Polio.

Beat? No. There are always going to be random mutations that could lead to a cancer. Just the nature of life.

Find very effective treatments for? Absolutely. But it takes time, loads of research, and money for that research.

MIL is dealing with cancer right now. She had surgery for it the day my Mom passed, and has been doing chemo since March. Did her CT yesterday and cancer has actually spread.

Wife is a basket case as am I, but her Doc says not to worry, they'll try a new form of chemo to attack/treat it. Makes me wonder if it isn't something along the lines of what links is dealing with.

MIL is dealing with cancer right now. She had surgery for it the day my Mom passed, and has been doing chemo since March. Did her CT yesterday and cancer has actually spread.

Wife is a basket case as am I, but her Doc says not to worry, they'll try a new form of chemo to attack/treat it. Makes me wonder if it isn't something along the lines of what links is dealing with.
I wish her well with this...gosh I have seen so many people who look at cancer as a war that isn't going to beat them...have so much admiration for them...I hope I have that same kind of resolve if it ever happens to me.

Feb 5, 2005 - Father died from cancer
Jan 20, 2014 - Sister died from cancer
Jan 23, 2014 - Mom's confidant, significant other died from cancer (That was a fun effing week)

I recently had my first physical since 1990...of course, a few spots were found on my lungs. Probably nothing, pretty small all things considered, CT scan scheduled in a few weeks to determine what they are.

Cancer is the great equalizer among us. It gives us all a bond to share and goal to achieve. I know of no one whose life has not been altered, touched, torn apart by this insidious disease.

But it also shows us the great things in life....the way people battle and fight....the way it brings people together...the way we find a bond maybe we had lost over the years.

My sister and I had not seen each other much, maybe 8-10 times in the last 15 years...but during the short time after diagnosis (3.5 months) until she passed....I spent a lot of time with her. We laughed about me getting all the inheritance. We cried about mom trying to care for 2 people on their last days. I slept on the floor in the hallway of her condo on weekend nights so I could hear her if she needed something. She blamed me for eating all her ice cream (ok, I did that). And, on January 19th as I kissed her head and said "I love you" and prepared to leave she looked up and for the first time ever said, "I love you, too." She passed away hours later.

So cancer took the person I didn't know away....but I got my sister back. So **** you, cancer.

I appreciate that pepsi...mom called me from Johnson City, TN about 10 minutes ago and said the surgeons removed much but not all...chemo now. As I said I just don't hold much hope for the ole boy...hate it.

Cancer claimed my oldest sister Feb 2014 . I miss her dearly . She battled Cancer for 12 years . I know exactly what you are going thru . Again many prayers

TW sorry to hear about your uncle. Cancer took my Dad and it was tough watching it happen.

Prayers for you and your family.

Cancer claimed my oldest sister Feb 2014 . I miss her dearly . She battled Cancer for 12 years . I know exactly what you are going thru . Again many prayers
Sorry for your loss pepsi...yes it is tough...I'll tell you what is tougher believe it or not...watching someone you love waste away mentally from dementia...heartbreaking...all I can say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT