ADVERTISEMENT

Cannabis Use Disorder is a thing now.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a name invented by people who spent lots of time swearing “marijuana isn’t addictive”. And yet, the definition of this sounds an awful lot like addiction. Whatever. Smoke up, ya hippies!

CNN —
Developing cannabis use disorderis relatively common in Washington state, one of the first states to fully legalize cannabis, and can even occur in people who only use medical marijuana, according to a new study.

Man smoking a marijuana joint

Many Americans wrongly believe exposure to marijuana smoke is safer than tobacco, study finds

“There’s a perception that people who are using marijuana for medical reasons have a lower risk of a cannabis use disorder,” said lead author Gwen Lapham, assistant professor at Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine in Seattle.

To have cannabis use disorder, or CUD, a person must have two or more of such symptoms as craving weed, becoming tolerant, using more than intended, using marijuana even though it causes problems in life, using it in high-risk situations, experiencing withdrawal and being unable to quit, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“The main take home message of our study is that cannabis use disorder is common among primary care patients in a state with legal cannabis use,” said Lapham, who is also an assistant investigator at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute.

In addition, using both medical and recreational weed led to a more severe addiction than using medical marijuana alone, the study revealed.

“This study reports some unique, badly needed data on cannabis use in the post-legalization period, specifically, what is the extent and nature of problematic, concerning cannabis use in the general population,” said Nicholas Vozoris, assistant professor and clinician investigator in the division of respirology at the department of medicine at the University of Toronto. He was not involved in the study.

“Not all people will want or remember to report their cannabis use … therefore, this study likely underestimates the prevalence of cannabis use disorder,” he added.

Cannabis use disorder where access is legal​

The study, published Tuesday in JAMA Network Open, quizzed nearly 110,000 patients of a Kaiser Permanente integrated health system in Washington State about their attitudes towards marijuana, then asked 5,000 of those more confidential questions about their use of weed in the past year. Only those who reported cannabis use in the past 30 days, or 1,500 people, were included in the study.

marijuana joint STOCK

Using marijuana may affect your ability to think and plan, study says

One of the key findings was how frequently people used marijuana, said Dr. Alexandre Dumais, associate clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Montreal, who was not involved in the research.

“The authors show that 38.8% of medical cannabis users, 25.2% of non-medical cannabis users and 56.1% of mixed medical/non-medical cannabis users consume the substance daily or almost daily,” Dumais said in an email.“Moreover, 39.7% of mixed users consume more than 3 times per day.”

Because frequent use is an important risk factor for the development of cannabis use disorder, “it is not surprising” to find an elevated prevalence of such symptoms, Dumais said.

“Notably, those who reported any non-medical use were at greatest risk of moderate to severe CUD … this is an interesting aspect of the study as not many authors have evaluated the prevalence according to CUD severity,” he said.

There are no current FDA-approved medications to treat cannabis use disorder, Lapham said, so behavior-based treatments or specialty addiction centers are the rule. Yet not getting treatment can have consequences.

Reactions: BrianNole777
There are signs in the dispensary that I go to that state that weed can be habit forming, bad for your health, not to be consumed while operating a motor vehicle and on and on and on…. Weed like almost every medicinal/recreational drug can be addictive and abused. This is not really new news.

There are signs in the dispensary that I go to that state that weed can be habit forming, bad for your health, not to be consumed while operating a motor vehicle and on and on and on…. Weed like almost every medicinal/recreational drug can be addictive and abused. This is not really new news.
So…drug addict then. We use “addict” for everything else. Why not this? Just thought it seemed like an odd phrasing of it.

marijuana-coke.gif

Anything you use you develope tolerance....not sure how that can by listed as a symptom. I am shooting league pool right now...will end up with 10 IPAs on my tab...obviously not going to be ok to drive...but I will be more or less as functional as those that drink 2.

• Wow
I indulge most evening after the house is quiet. If we go out of town I don’t. The only ill effect of going without is that I don’t fall asleep as easily.
This is my measure of whether something is ok. Would you tell your 15 yo child you use daily? I have no issue with telling my 15 yo I like beer and I like one daily with dinner. But if I used weed there is zero chance I’d think that was ok to tell him. And the reason is…?

It's not PHYSICALLY addictive, meaning you can quit and not go through physical withdrawals
Got it, so it’s ok to ignore the science this time. Since the topic is pot we let this slide right?

I usually get the hybrid, the indica kills my spasms and sativa gets me high...I like the high, like, really really like it 😎
Hybrids are ok, I have a few. But I’m indul in the evenings, not midday so I don’t want to be all buzzy, want that couch lock.
Although I did eat a sativa gummy before my office party last weekend. That was fun.

Let me know when their livers start failing
I have nothing against weed; but isn’t this argument kinda like saying a smoker could use nicotine gum, zing, or any of the other 25 straight nicotine products.

Edit. - my bad. Read that too fast, thought the post I was responding to was talking about lungs

Got it, so it’s ok to ignore the science this time. Since the topic is pot we let this slide right?

I've quit for months numerous times and never went through that... granted I didn't start smoking regular till 19-20

Reactions: BelemNole
Hybrids are ok, I have a few. But I’m indul in the evenings, not midday so I don’t want to be all buzzy, want that couch lock.
Although I did eat a sativa gummy before my office party last weekend. That was fun.

I used to wake up with "the stupids" after falling asleep high as a kite.

Does it hurt your short-term memory?

I've never noticed a difference in the two. I've gone to many different dispensaries here in California, then also in Colorado, Washington, and Amsterdam but still can never feel a difference.
Apparently In dispensaries these days most of the weed is mislabeled or hybridized to the point the label doesn’t mean anything. But I can tell which are more indica and which are sativa pretty well by how I feel.

So…drug addict then. We use “addict” for everything else. Why not this? Just thought it seemed like an odd phrasing of it.

I don't think I've ever said, "that person is an alcohol addict". Just an alcoholic.

You seem perturbed that people said weed wasn't habit forming and how they named people who may excessively consume it? Why?

I don't think I've ever said, "that person is an alcohol addict". Just an alcoholic.

You seem perturbed that people said weed wasn't habit forming and how they named people who may excessively consume it? Why?
I'm not perturbed nor have I ever been that. I'm perturbed by the use of perturbed! My point is that it seems there are plenty of terms and diagnoses already available to name what this is without having to invent that dumb shit. then I took a guess at what may have been the reasoning. It probably isn't. But the name is so stupid it has to be something.

Seems like a name invented by people who spent lots of time swearing “marijuana isn’t addictive”.

Cannabis use disorder is a diagnosis in the DSM-5 (2013) and it was also present in some form in earlier editions. The DSM is written and revised by the APA. I doubt they ever said "marijuana isn't addictive", but rather somebody meets criteria for diagnosis if a), b), and c) are present.

Helps to think of it more like coffee than alcohol or dope. If you develop a habit and a tolerance and go cold turkey, you might sleep poorly for a few nights and your appetite might be poor for a few days. You don't need benzos and nausea medication for chemo patients to treat the withdrawal symptoms like they often give you for alcohol withdrawal. Or an IV to help with hydration because of nausea. You'll be grumpy for a few days, not sweating through your shirt in a 68 degree air conditioned room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT