ADVERTISEMENT

Capitol Notebook: Iowa elections bill would ban ranked choice voting, add absentee rules

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
More voter suppression from the Iowa GQP:

Iowa lawmakers advanced a pair of bills Monday that would make a raft of changes to elections, including banning ranked choice voting, standardizing training and limiting ballot eligibility challenges for federal candidates.

The bill with the more significant changes of the two, Senate Study Bill 3161, would do the following:

• Limit challenges of petitions of federal candidates to the legal sufficiency of the petition, or the residency, age or citizenship requirements of the candidate.
  • Create a pilot program for a third party to maintain Iowa’s voter database.
  • Ban ranked choice voting.
  • Ban the use of ballot drop boxes in the state.
  • Require that absentee ballots be received by a county auditor’s office the day before the election, and allow the auditor to begin mailing absentee ballots two days earlier.

The bill was passed out of a Senate subcommittee on Monday by the two Republican members. Democratic Sen. Janice Weiner, of Iowa City, did not vote to advance the bill.

Sen. Jason Schultz, R-Schleswig, the chair of the Senate State Government Committee and sponsor of the two bills, said the bill was a “settling of our election procedures” and intended to instill trust in Iowa’s election process.

“We think we’ve gotten 80, 90 percent of the way there,” he said. “Iowa’s elections are rated among the top five in the country as far as reliability and integrity, and we plan on keeping that.”

The limit on eligibility challenges would make it impossible for individuals to lodge challenges to former President Donald Trump’s place on the election ballot on the grounds that he incited an insurrection, as groups in other states have done.

The Colorado Supreme Court ruled Trump ineligible to be on the state’s primary ballot because of such a challenge. The U.S. Supreme Court will decide on an appeal to that decision. The justices heard oral arguments on the case last week.

Schultz said the provision is to ensure that there are no similar ballot challenges in Iowa.

A separate bill, Senate Study Bill 3165, would require election workers to be trained before each election, rather than only primary and general elections. It would also direct the Secretary of State to adopt statewide rules for election worker training.

In the case of a recount, the bill would also require a recount board to include a report of its findings, including a full tally of ballots reviewed by the board.

Bill would require district-level election of supervisors in large counties​

Iowa lawmakers advanced a bill that would require Iowa's five biggest counties to elect their board of supervisors by voters in geographic districts rather than by the county at large.

Currently, Iowa counties use one of three representation plans for the board of supervisors. Voters can bring a petition for a ballot measure in order to change the plan:

• Plan one: each supervisor is elected at large with no district requirements;
  • Plan two: the county is split into equal-population districts, and representatives from those districts are elected by voters in the whole county;
  • Plan three: the county is split into equal-population districts, and representatives from those districts are elected by voters in the districts.

Senate File 2283 would require that counties with a population of more than 125,000 use plan three. The rule would affect Polk, Linn, Scott, Johnson and Black Hawk counties. Polk and Linn counties already use plan three, while the other counties use plan one.

Lucas Beenken, a lobbyist for state associations representing counties and county supervisors, said counties are opposed to the bill and they would prefer the representation plan to be decided by the voters.

But rural residents of large counties like Black Hawk and Johnson said that they do not have proper representation on those boards, where members largely live in urban centers.

The bill advanced out of a Senate subcommittee by two Republican members, while the Democratic member did not vote to advance the bill.

Library supporters oppose bill​

City library officials and supporters from across Iowa again descended upon the Iowa Capitol to express opposition to legislation that would change library staffing and funding operations.

The latest proposal is more narrowly focused than previous bills that have been considered by state lawmakers this session. Senate Study Bill 3168 would allow a city council to change and oversee the process of hiring a library director and determine how to use some library funds without a public referendum.

That proposal is different from other bills, which also would give city councils the authority to change even more library operations — including book selection — without a public vote.

The two Republicans on the subcommittee panel for Senate Study Bill 3168, Sens. Jesse Green, of Boone, and Mike Klimesh, of Spillville, signed off on advancing it to the full Senate Local Government Committee. Sen. Janice Weiner, of Iowa City, declined to sign off on the bill.

Green said this proposal was introduced to ensure city council members have more input into the hiring of library directors. Library officials and advocates said while they appreciated that this bill is more limited in scope than others introduced this session, they fear it will nonetheless open the door to partisan political intrusion on library operations.

Asset forfeiture would require criminal conviction under bill​

All assets seized by law enforcement officers would be a part of the criminal forfeiture process, and would be returned to the individual unless that person is convicted, under legislation being considered by state lawmakers.

House Study Bill 634 is model legislation from the conservative, Libertarian-minded Institute for Justice. The organization said such policy is needed to better balance the rights of Iowa property owners with law enforcement’s ability to seize property during investigations.

The Iowa County Attorneys Association expressed strong opposition to the proposal.

The two Republicans on the subcommittee panel, Reps. Phil Thompson, of Boone, and Bill Gustoff, of Des Moines, signed off on advancing the proposal to the full House Public Safety Committee.

Added legal protections for pesticide manufacturers​

Pesticide manufacturers could not be sued for failing to alert people of potential health risks if the product has a federally-approved warning label under legislation advanced by Iowa Senate Republicans on Monday.

Senate Study Bill 3163 was proposed by Bayer, a pharmaceutical and chemical company that produces Roundup, a herbicide with the main ingredient glyphosate that is commonly used by growers of corn and soybeans, Iowa’s most abundant crops.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has determined that glyphosate products used according to label directions do not result in health risks.

During the hearing, agriculture and business groups supported the proposed legislation, while individual Iowa farmers spoke in opposition.

Republican Sens. Jeff Edler, of State Center, and Mark Costello, of Imogene — both farmers — signed off on advancing the bill to the full Senate Agriculture Committee, while Democratic Sen. Bill Dotzler, of Waterloo, declined to support it.

How is this voter suppression?
Suppress means to inhibit or put an end to. Some voters, a real number of real voters that is greater than 1, use ballot boxes to submit votes. By banning ballot boxes, you have suppressed, or inhibited their ability to vote.

Have you eliminated their ability to vote? Absolutely not. But you have inhibited that ability.

Now I will patiently wait as you will move the goalposts or argue something that I didn’t say. For instance, I’m waiting patiently while you state that if you really wanted to vote you’d show up on voting day, which wasn’t the argument made. Or that how many people will this actually affect. Again not the argument.

I’m using the simply meaning of the term voter suppression. Banning ballot boxes is voter suppression.

Suppress means to inhibit or put an end to. Some voters, a real number of real voters that is greater than 1, use ballot boxes to submit votes. By banning ballot boxes, you have suppressed, or inhibited their ability to vote.

Have you eliminated their ability to vote? Absolutely not. But you have inhibited that ability.

Now I will patiently wait as you will move the goalposts or argue something that I didn’t say. For instance, I’m waiting patiently while you state that if you really wanted to vote you’d show up on voting day, which wasn’t the argument made. Or that how many people will this actually affect. Again not the argument.

I’m using the simply meaning of the term voter suppression. Banning ballot boxes is voter suppression.

But you have inhibited that ability.

Not one thing in the bill says anything about that. Voting is a right and it's the individual responsibility to vote correctly. Since 1960"s no one has been denied the right to vote.

The system that has ranked voting is a California deal, and it sucks. Alaska comes to mind also. Not a fan of it at all.

Were these ballot boxes widely used in Iowa before covid?

Not one thing in the bill says anything about that. Voting is a right and it's the individual responsibility to vote correctly. Since 1960"s no one has been denied the right to vote.

The system that has ranked voting is a California deal, and it sucks. Alaska comes to mind also. Not a fan of it at all.
I didn’t say anything about ranked choice voting. I’m not really informed enough to have an opinion.

If you’re going to take away a previously available method of voting, by definition you are inhibiting the voting ability of those who chose that method previously. Why is that so hard to understand? Ballot boxes were a safe and effective way to vote and to make understanding were no more susceptible to fraud than any other method.

Reactions: cigaretteman

Why does it suck? It’s a great way to eliminate extreme candidates.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I didn’t say anything about ranked choice voting. I’m not really informed enough to have an opinion.

If you’re going to take away a previously available method of voting, by definition you are inhibiting the voting ability of those who chose that method previously. Why is that so hard to understand? Ballot boxes were a safe and effective way to vote and to make understanding were no more susceptible to fraud than any other method.
So, going to a voting place or filing for absentee voting is suppressing votes?

Definition:
suppressing (present participle)

I don't see one thing in the bill forcibly stopping any votes.
  1. forcibly put an end to:
    "the uprising was savagely suppressed"
    • prevent the development, action, or expression of (a feeling, impulse, idea, etc.); restrain:
      "she could not suppress a rising panic"
    • prevent the dissemination of (information):
      "the report had been suppressed"
    • prevent or inhibit (a process or reaction):
      "use of the drug suppressed the immune response"
    • partly or wholly eliminate (electrical interference).
    • PSYCHOANALYSIS
      consciously inhibit (an unpleasant idea or memory) to avoid considering it.

I don't think ballot boxes were all that secure. There's seems to be a lot of charges going down for people stuffing them. Both parties.

Making it harder to vote.
I'm sorry, if you can't figure out what day is election day, and how to get to your polling location, then maybe you aren't qualified to help determine the next leader of the free world. I'm all for absentee voting when necessary, but anything other than that is asking for fraud. Why do you think our founding fathers decided one day was sufficient? They knew that was the most secure system.

I'm sorry, if you can't figure out what day is election day, and how to get to your polling location, then maybe you aren't qualified to help determine the next leader of the free world. I'm all for absentee voting when necessary, but anything other than that is asking for fraud. Why do you think our founding fathers decided one day was sufficient? They knew that was the most secure system.

Our founding fathers also kept slaves. They were not the smartest or most insightful people in the world.

Also when we declared independence, the population was 2.5 million and I believe at the time only landowners could vote. And I don't think they asked for ID's at the voting booth either. . . so you know if it was good enough for the founding fathers. . .

I don’t understand why it needs to be the day before. Should be by the close
Of the polls on Election Day.

Yes, that’s a garbage provision. Perhaps our wise lawmakers don’t realize that absentee ballots can be received and be counted days after the election concludes.

It’s really hard for me to believe there is a legitimate, good-faith argument for banning ranked-choice voting. The only thing I can come up with, at all, is that the computations would be more laborious and could take a little longer, but isn’t that why God invented computers?

More likely, republicans see it as a threat to their hold on power.

Why do you think our founding fathers decided one day was sufficient? They knew that was the most secure system.

Wtf kind of argument is this? The smartest doctors/scientists at the time tried to save the life of the nation's first president by draining a shitload of his blood. Do you have evidence to support they were primarily concerned with the security of elections they'd never had? Who was going to vote illegally? Your name had to appear on deed back then

A fiery exchange prompted Iowa House Democrats to walk out Tuesday of a House subcommittee meeting on a bill to make changes to the state’s election procedures and limit eligibility challenges for federal candidates — including to Donald Trump.

Republicans advanced House Study Bill 697 out of the subcommittee, saying it “continues to make Iowa a place of election integrity.”

Democratic Rep. Amy Nielsen of North Liberty walked out after questioning Rep. Bobby Kaufmann, R-Wilton, who led the subcommittee meeting. After a heated exchange between the two, Nielsen told Kaufmann to “stop interrupting me.”

Bureau)
“This is my subcommittee and I’ll refer to whoever I want to refer to whenever I want to refer to them,” Kaufmann said. “You don’t run this meeting, Representative Nielsen.”

Shortly after, Nielsen walked out, followed by Rep. Adam Zabner of Iowa City, the other Democrat on the five-member panel.

"I think it was made pretty clear that what I had to say was not well received, did not want to be heard," Nielsen said after the meeting. "If I can't be heard, why am I here?"

Kaufmann said the House State Government Committee will consider the bill Wednesday ahead of a key legislative deadline for bills to remain active in the session. It would do the following:

• Limit challenges of petitions of federal candidates to the legal sufficiency of the petition, or the residency, age or citizenship requirements of the candidate.

• Require that absentee ballots be received by a county auditor’s office the day before the election, and allow the auditor to begin mailing absentee ballots two days earlier.

• Change the rules for how absentee ballots need to be mailed and received by county auditors.

• Create a pilot program for a third party to maintain Iowa’s voter database.

• Ban ranked-choice voting.

• Ban the use of ballot drop boxes in the state.

"They are treating this bill very unseriously, and we're going to continue as we do," Kaufmann said after the meeting of the Democrats' walkout. "And their actions speak for themselves. If they can't stay in the room like an adult, and have a conversation, then good riddance."

A companion bill, Senate Study Bill 3161, was passed Monday out of a Senate subcommittee by Republican Sens. Jason Schultz of Schleswig and Dawn Driscoll of Williamsburg. Democratic Sen. Janice Weiner of Iowa City did not vote to advance the bill.

Limiting challenges​

The limit on eligibility challenges would make it impossible for individuals to lodge challenges to former President Trump’s place on the presidential election ballot on the grounds that he incited an insurrection in violation of the 14th Amendment of the Constitution, as groups in other states have done.

The U.S. Supreme Court will decide on an appeal from Colorado that would knock off the ballot there if upheld.

Zabner said the section was designed to protect Trump and noted during the meeting that Kaufmann was a senior adviser for Trump’s Iowa caucus campaign this year.

“This is a bill that does a disservice to everyday Iowans and serves one man, Donald Trump,” Zabner said. “And I don't think there's a clearer contrast between Iowa House Democrats and Iowa House Republicans than this bill. We're putting people over politics. They're putting one candidate as their legislative priority.”

Kaufmann said the bill would affect all candidates equally and had no connection to his work on the Trump campaign.

“It is not our job to decide who’s on the ballot, it is the voters’ job,” he said. “And it’s arrogant, frankly, for us to think that we should overrule what they choose to do, whether that’s a D, an R, a Libertarian, a Green Party, or anyone else, for that matter.”

Absentee ballot changes​

The bill would move the deadline for county auditors to receive absentee ballots to the close of business one day before the election. Currently, ballots can be received until the end of the day on Election Day. Auditors would be able to begin mailing out absentee ballots two days earlier to compensate for the earlier deadline.

The bill requires that the voter ID number — either the voter’s driver’s license number or the number on a state-provided Voter ID card — that is placed on the absentee ballot affidavit match the number on file for the voter. It would remove a county auditor’s ability to disqualify a ballot if it appears the signature on the ballot does not match the signature on file.

The bill also would require that auditors use at least three — and sometimes four — envelopes for different documents when mailing out absentee ballots.

Adams County Auditor Rebecca Bissell, the chair of the Iowa State Association of County Auditors, said the group was opposed to the bill and concerned about a wide range of the proposed changes.

She said the auditors already have purchased envelopes for the 2024 elections, and the new rule would require them to incur major costs by purchasing all new envelopes. She also said ballot drop boxes save counties money by lowering their postage costs for ballots that would otherwise be returned by mail.

"Timelines will not allow us to reissue ballots by mail, and will only harm voters who are not able to go to the polls on election day," she said.

Voter roll maintenance​

The bill would authorize a pilot program for a third party to maintain Iowa’s voter rolls.

Until last year, Iowa was enrolled in the Electronic Registration Information Center, a non-partisan multistate organization that maintains voter rolls. Several GOP-led states left the group last year because of concerns over the group’s privacy and registration activities, as well as conspiracy theories fueled by far-right media.

Under the bill, the state would use the third-party vendor to verify the state’s voter database in early 2025. After that, the state would evaluate the new process and could continue with the new vendor.

Ranked-choice voting​

The bill would also ban ranked choice voting in Iowa.

Ranked-choice voting is a process by which voters rank multiple candidates for a single office based on their preference. If a candidate does not receive more than 50 percent on the first round of voting, the least popular candidate is eliminated and his or her voters are reassigned to their second choice. The process continues until someone reaches 50 percent of the votes.

The method is used in some local elections across the country, and in some statewide elections in Maine and Alaska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT