ADVERTISEMENT

Capitol Notebook: Iowa teens as young as 14 could drive to work by themselves under Senate bill

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Iowa Senate passed a bill Tuesday to allow younger teens to drive themselves to work without an adult riding along.

Iowa law currently allows teens as young as 14-and-a-half years old — six months after earning their instruction permit that allows them to drive with adult supervision — to drive without an adult for farm work, and to travel to and from school.

Senate File 2109 would allow 14- and 15-year-olds to drive to any kind of job, not just farming, following a law passed last year that allows younger teens to work longer hours and later in the day.

The bill reduces the distance a teen can drive under the “special minor’s restricted license” from 50 to 25 miles to school or a job. Driving cannot be part of the work.

“You can drive to the pizza place to make the pizza; however, you cannot drive the pizza delivery truck to deliver the pizza,” said Sen. Adrian Dickey, the bill’s floor manager and a Republican from Packwood.

Senate Democrats voted against the bill, citing concerns about recent changes to child labor laws and the decision-making abilities of 14-year-olds, and the potential impact of the bill on car insurance rates. The crash fatality rate for teens in the United States is almost three times the rate for people in their twenties.

“This is too far too fast,” said Sen. Todd Taylor, a Democrat from Cedar Rapids. “Some (14-year-olds) are ready (to drive by themselves), sure. Some are not ready. And my money is no, let’s be safe for those 14-and-a-half year olds for driving.”

Dickey said the bill implements the unanimous recommendations made by an interim study committee created under last year’s youth employment law. The committee was made up of Republicans and Democrats and representatives from various state departments and the insurance industry.

Dickey said the bill provides uniformity between a variety of youth driving permits currently allowed, so the law enforcement can enforce them more effectively.

The bill also changes the hours when teens with the license are allowed to drive. Instead of allowing them to drive from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., they would be limited to driving up to one hour before and after their shift or when school activities begin and end.

Dickey said the bill also establishes stronger penalties than in current law for violating the restrictions of the permit, causing a crash or breaking the rules of the road.

The bill passed 33-15 and now heads to the Iowa House for consideration.

Iowa lawmakers advance vape registry bill​

House lawmakers advanced a proposal Tuesday backed by tobacco companies that would restrict vape sales in Iowa.

The House Ways and Means Committee unanimously recommended passage of House Study Bill 682. The bill, which now is eligible for consideration by the full House, would create a registry of approved vaping products that have been vetted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to ensure vape shops are selling only approved products.

Retailers could sell only products listed on the state-approved registry — which would be limited to those the FDA has approved for sale, or those whose application is pending review by the FDA or whose denial is being appealed.

To register with the state, a manufacturer would have to provide proof of marketing authorization or a similar order from the FDA, a pending application that remains under FDA review or a court order that shows a final authorization has not yet taken effect.

To date, the FDA has authorized just 23 e-cigarette products and related devices, all of them tobacco-flavored, while rejecting more than a million applications.

“Although there are thousands of other products that are in the pipeline for approval,” and would be legal under the bill, said Rep. Brenk Siegrist, R-Council Bluffs. “ … the emphasis of the bill is that there are just tons of products that are unregulated from China and other countries which we're just not sure what's actually in them. This was really an attempt to try to get … something that has some semblance of regulation.”

Retailers, manufacturers and distributors say the bill would severely restrict vape sales in the state, to the benefit of Big Tobacco.

The bill was amended to remove a requirement for two unannounced regulatory visits per year to vape shops, and instead allows checks by Department of Revenue or law enforcement as needed.

Opponents, including Iowa’s vaping industry, say the bill imposes a confusing and complicated registration scheme that has been challenged in courts in other states. They note the FDA has not released a comprehensive list of products that have received denials or injunctions, making it difficult for retailers and officials to know what is legal.

“My concern is consumer safety issue — making sure these products that are in the marketplace have been vetted and tested to make sure that they're safe for consumers to use,” said Rep. John Forbes, D-Urbandale. “So I'm hopeful that this will work for the for the retailers in the state of Iowa.”

House greenlights sequel for Iowa film tax incentive​

Iowa House lawmakers passed a bill Tuesday for a limited revival of state tax incentives for movies and television shows filmed in Iowa.

House File 2662 would establish a two-year, $10 million pilot program from 2025 to 2026 under which movie projects that film in Iowa would be eligible for tax rebates worth up to 30 percent of the project’s expenses on specified production costs.

Proponents say the new proposal will be an improvement upon the original, which was shut down in 2009 after an audit showed $26 million in improperly issued funds, resulting in at least seven criminal convictions.

The new bill was written by the Iowa Economic Development Authority, which would operate the program, and is designed to provide better oversight. The legislation, which is now headed to the Senate for consideration, would require an examination of qualified expenses submitted for reimbursement by a certified public accountant prior to disbursement of a rebate.

To be eligible, a film must have a production budget of at least $1 million and evidence that it is fully funded. Qualified productions include feature films, television series, documentary or unscripted series that is rated G, PG, PG-13, or R by the Motion Picture Association of America or the TV Parental Guidelines Monitoring Board.

Republicans voted down an amendment offered by Rep. Chuck Isenhart, D-Dubuque, that would have required the IEDA to request an audit of program expenses by the State Auditor’s Office after disbursing the first $5 million to identify any issues.

Both Isenhart and Rep. Jane Bloomingdale, R-Northwood, said they’re confident the program’s second run can be successful.

“I do personally feel like this is one of the best bills that we're going to pass this year,” Bloomingdale said.

She said Iowa is missing out on millions of dollars in tourism and economic investment, as well as jobs, as it has been passed over as a filming location because of tax incentives in other states. Bloomingdale pointed to the tourism that's been created by Iowa movies such as the “Field of Dreams” and “The Bridges of Madison County.”

“I'm excited for this to pass,” she said. “I'm excited to see what movie is the first movie in the state” under the revived film tax incentive program.

• Wow
Reactions: Bonerfarts and Ree4
The "reign of terror" under the Reynold's administration continues.

The motives here are once again crystal clear. Iowa has a labor shortage because Republicans think the alternative to immigration reform is allowing younger children to do the jobs Brown people might do.

Given the rural nature of most Iowa towns and the lack of public transportation I really don't have an opinion on this. It probably does make things easier for people living there and it's not like they will be driving on the Stevenson during rush hour. The only real threat is having a kid try to recreate their experience in GTA and see just how fast they can make a car go, but that's less likely to happen if they are going to work.

Now, the issue of 14 year olds working is another one completely.

Given the rural nature of most Iowa towns and the lack of public transportation I really don't have an opinion on this. It probably does make things easier for people living there and it's not like they will be driving on the Stevenson during rush hour. The only real threat is having a kid try to recreate their experience in GTA and see just how fast they can make a car go, but that's less likely to happen if they are going to work.

Now, the issue of 14 year olds working is another one completely.
Winters on Iowa roads and more inexperienced drivers seems like a bad combination.

Maybe that's just me?

Reactions: BioHawk
This critical so the 14 year olds can get to their night jobs at the meat packing plants.
That meat aint gonna pack itself.

Am I Right The Goldbergs GIF by ABC Network

I'm sorry you had to endure taxi life longer than you should have. I passed down the family tradition of getting your license ON your 16th birthday to both my daughters and celebrated my FREEDOM! ;)
No, we had a number of 16 yo fatalities locally. 16 is just too young.

The motives here are once again crystal clear. Iowa has a labor shortage because Republicans think the alternative to immigration reform is allowing younger children to do the jobs Brown people might do.
Lmao. 14 year olds have been legally to work in Iowa for over 40 years. 14 years olds have been legally able to drive to school for over 40 years.

Trying to conflate this to a racial issue is one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on this board, and that is saying something. The fact that this type of idiocy came from Mitch is significantly less shocking.

No, we had a number of 16 yo fatalities locally. 16 is just too young.
In rural Iowa? Sorry to hear that. I'm 50. Been driving regularly since I was 15 (12 if you count driving in the woods during hunting season). More experience is the key.

Sorry, to hear about the fatalities, regardless. Distractions like too many kiddos in the car and texting is my biggest concern these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy

Feel free 14 year old white slackers. Don't get decapitated on the way to work, yo.

Lmao. 14 year olds have been legally to work in Iowa for over 40 years. 14 years olds have been legally able to drive to school for over 40 years.

Trying to conflate this to a racial issue is one of the most idiotic things I have ever read on this board, and that is saying something. The fact that this type of idiocy came from Mitch is significantly less shocking.
This legislation is a lot more than some kid driving to a Caseys to make pizzas or stock shelves.

But it would be asking a lot for you to understand that.
And has been stated, the initiative here for Terrace Hill is employers hiring as much part-time help as possible with lower wages and no benefits that would be afforded to immigrants seeking work.
Those campaign coffers ain't filling themselves!!!

people who run convenience and grocery stores don't have the political pull to get state laws changed
In this case, the HyVee CEO is pretty tight with the Governor's office. Was at the symposium during the Trump years.

And among others, the Krause family is pretty influential, imo.
Casey's CEO is a member of the Iowa Business Council.

They all have clout and influence with Kim Reynolds.

In this case, the HyVee CEO is pretty tight with the Governor's office. Was at the symposium during the Trump years.

And among others, the Krause family is pretty influential, imo.
Casey's CEO is a member of the Iowa Business Council.

They all have clout and influence with Kim Reynolds.
This legislation is a lot more than some kid driving to a Caseys to make pizzas or stock shelves.

But it would be asking a lot for you to understand that.
And has been stated, the initiative here for Terrace Hill is employers hiring as much part-time help as possible with lower wages and no benefits that would be afforded to immigrants seeking work.
Those campaign coffers ain't filling themselves!!!
lol. “As has been stated”…….by you. Please enlighten us all to what is going on here. Is it Hy Vee, Kum and Go, Casey’s or factory work? Do you really think allowing them to drive at 14 1/2 is going to result in a massive influx of 14 and 15 year olds taking meat packing jobs currently held by immigrant labor at reduced wages? 14 and 15 years olds will be no more eligible for those jobs than they were before. Nothing has changed but their ability to get to work.

Jesus, you are blue team version of the MAGA right. No common sense, just GO TEAM!

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
idgaf about the politics, but you can't deny that there is always that going on. However, no 14 years should ever be driving. I know this is a Midwest thing due to farms, but it's not safe... especially with everyone on their damn phones already. I know this makes it easier on parents not having to drive kids around and the schools like it because it's less they need to spend on bussing, but it really shouldn't happen for safety reasons. Hell, the age probably should be 18 and cost far more like it does in other countries so once those get it they have spent more time learning and paid more to acquire the license and less likely to blow it.

Reactions: Bierhalter
My kids are in high school so all their friends had student permits. Most of those kids just drive everywhere anyways.
That's what I did. Once I had that school permit back in the early 2000's, I was driving to my girlfriends, Lindale Mall, Taco Bell, all that. But I believe I had just turned 15 when I got the permit.

You guys should drive a school bus for a living, just to see the stupid shit high school drivers do going to and from school. And these drivers are legal 16+ year old drivers.

This is utter insanity, unleashing a 14 year old onto the streets/roads unsupervised.

Reactions: Ree4
So many comical things in this thread.
You got people thinking the only reason they want to lower it is for kids to work in meat packing plants.
People bitching that these kids won’t know how to drive in snow.
Others bitching that they shouldn’t get a drivers license until 18 years old.
Others abusing the shit out of school permits.
You know what all of these have in common, multiple laws being broken that are already in place or lack of parental guidance.

You have to be 18 to work in a meat packing plant.

Parents can tell their kids they aren’t driving if the roads are terrible and could take them to their job if they need to be at their job, which I doubt to many 14 year olds are that desperately needed at said job.

If they have a license and are driving horribly, report them so they potentially lose their license. (I agree a license should be a privilege in the US but unfortunately basically anyone gets one).

If they are abusing the school permit they already have, parents should be in trouble if the kid is caught, and they should be reported if they are driving to places they shouldn’t be.

Unfortunately we live in a world where both parents need to work and limited busing options are available for kids so I understand changing it to 14.
I had a couple of jobs when I was 14 and either my parents brought me there, I rode my bike, or someone else was able to pick me up.
I was also in sports before I had a license and we were lucky that we still had an activity buss that still dropped kids off closer to where they lived. I was fortunate to be dropped off at my house as it was on the way to the drop off point.

Reactions: Chuck C
lol. “As has been stated”…….by you. Please enlighten us all to what is going on here. Is it Hy Vee, Kum and Go, Casey’s or factory work? Do you really think allowing them to drive at 14 1/2 is going to result in a massive influx of 14 and 15 year olds taking meat packing jobs currently held by immigrant labor at reduced wages? 14 and 15 years olds will be no more eligible for those jobs than they were before. Nothing has changed but their ability to get to work.

Jesus, you are blue team version of the MAGA right. No common sense, just GO TEAM!
So you're telling me that you can't see the economics of hiring three full time employees and paying benefits vs hiring six 14 year olds to work 20 hours a week if you're Kum and Go, Caseys, or HyVee?
The chances of that 14 year old having a fatal accident driving home at 11PM on an icy, Iowa road are probably pretty small, as long as it's not your kid.

Because at 11PM, both parents are in bed vs that kid having their folks picking them up at 9PM because they don't have a license.
You can justify Reynold's actions all you want. I'm not gullible enough to believe this legislation isn't for the sole purpose of benefitting her political donors.

My kids are in high school so all their friends had student permits. Most of those kids just drive everywhere anyways.
This. My 14 year old has all his 15 year old buddies that just drive them around all the time all over West Des Moines. There is always a school function somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT