ADVERTISEMENT

Cargill heiress tearing down homes in Duluth neighborhood with no explanation

What's your take? She should be able to do what she wants if legal or she at least owes the decency of providing an explanation?

It’s her land. She can do what she wants to the land within current zoning laws and city and state regulations.

Maybe she wants to turn it into green space. Maybe she wants to build the largest Cargill processing plant in the world.

Know why their is a housing crisis? This is one of the reasons.
Not really. Not in the case. I've been to Duluth numerous times, and this is on the 7 mile Long Island that runs from Superior, WI, to Duluth. This reads to me like a rich person sucking up land in order to build a mansion on prime real estate that looks out over Lake Superior.
Duluth, and Superior, have a lot of vacant housing, and open lots. Duluth lost something like 20,000 in population since the 1980s, but it's booming now with second homes and rentals along the lakefront. Downtown is showing life. We've looked at buying there.

Reactions: IANDFAN
Not really. Not in the case. I've been to Duluth numerous times, and this is on the 7 mile Long Island that runs from Superior, WI, to Duluth. This reads to me like a rich person sucking up land in order to build a mansion on prime real estate that looks out over Lake Superior.
Duluth, and Superior, have a lot of vacant housing, and open lots. Duluth lost something like 20,000 in population since the 1980s, but it's booming now with second homes and rentals along the lakefront. Downtown is showing life. We've looked at buying there.
IMO, to your point, this specific scenario isn't driving the housing crisis. I would argue that rich people (investment funds, for example) buying up property on a large scale contributes to it. Few people can compete with cash offers from a faceless entity.

Last edited:
IMO, to your point, this specific scenario isn't driving the housing crisis. I would argue that rich people (investment funds, for example) buying up property on a large scale contributes to it. Few people can complete with cash offers from a faceless entity.
Bingo. Her, specifically, is irrelevant. The real problem is that rich people, in general, can buy up entire blocks and turn them into investment properties. Great for them. But horrible for everyone who wasn't able to buy before 2020.

IMO, to your point, this specific scenario isn't driving the housing crisis. I would argue that rich people (investment funds, for example) buying up property on a large scale contributes to it. Few people can compete with cash offers from a faceless entity.
This zombie owners. And when the market pops. Numerous homes become vacant. Killing a neighborhood.

Reactions: nelly02
Well, you need a building permit to add to a home. I assume you need one to destroy it?

Billionaires doing billionaire things.

What's your take? She should be able to do what she wants if legal or she at least owes the decency of providing an explanation?

As hard as you little marxists are trying to eradicate the right to private property rights, you haven't, and she doesn't owe you dick!

Reactions: abby97
Reactions: abby97
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT