ADVERTISEMENT

Carton

Dec 11, 2019
Carton to the hawks!! We need you!! Starters would be Joe T, Carton, Bohannon, Weezy and Garza. CJ and Mac and Pemsel off bench....Rebounding will
Lbe the key to success and a tough man to man D. We need a new mindset on defense...WEAK! OUR OFFENSE SHOULD BE EXCITING!!

Carton to the hawks!! We need you!! Starters would be Joe T, Carton, Bohannon, Weezy and Garza. CJ and Mac and Pemsel off bench....Rebounding will
Lbe the key to success and a tough man to man D. We need a new mindset on defense...WEAK! OUR OFFENSE SHOULD BE EXCITING!!

I haven't counted schollies lately, but I thought we had two potential to give CMac & PMac....

Welcome DJ and Foster.

I got not problems winning a few National Championships. :D

I haven't counted schollies lately, but I thought we had two potential to give CMac & PMac....

Welcome DJ and Foster.

I got not problems winning a few National Championships. :D

We currently sit at 14 scholarships with of course 13 allowed. As it stands now, Connor would most likely go back to walk on status to get down to 13.

There seems to be a question as to whether Patrick can go to walk on status or not - even if it’s voluntary- since he started as a scholarship player.

Pemsl going the grad transfer route would be the other logical option.

I think Fran moves Connor to walk on status and stays with his current roster.

Zero and I will say it again .....Zero chance he will be a Hawkeye....ZERO
Totally agree ..... to be honest I don't believe there's enough to gain to risk upsetting the apple cart. At the very slim chance this would happen wouldn't he have to sit next year? So he wouldn't ever play with J-Bo and C-Mac would be a senior before he would ever play?

Reactions: unIowa
There seems to be a question as to whether Patrick can go to walk on status or not - even if it’s voluntary- since he started as a scholarship player.

There is no question here, Patrick signed a letter of intent, so his scholarship can't be toyed with,.. Connor came in as a walk on, meaning Fran can turn his scholarship on and off as needed... Carton will not be coming to Iowa City.

There is no question here, Patrick signed a letter of intent, so his scholarship can't be toyed with,.. Connor came in as a walk on, meaning Fran can turn his scholarship on and off as needed... Carton will not be coming to Iowa City.

I agree that Carton is not coming to Iowa City and am okay with that. I really like the potential of what Joe T and Ahron U will bring to the table. It's not worth disrupting or alienating those two guys.

This is not correct. A scholarship is garnered by the student athlete year by year. Patrick could easily be taken off of scholarship.

This is not correct. A scholarship is garnered by the student athlete year by year. Patrick could easily be taken off of scholarship.

That is no longer the case. A B1G / P5 player is guaranteed a scholarship for all 4 years (provided no academic, ethical, moral, team major violations, etc. malfeasance) if offered & accepts a scholarship upon his first year of college eligibility. That scenario pertains to Patrick but not Connor.

The only question pertaining to Patrick that I've seen raised is - can he voluntarily rescind his 4 year guarantee and stay with the team?

I can see where that would not be allowed as a lot of games could be played with that "loop hole" but haven't seen definitively answered via the internet searches I've conducted anyway.

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

Last edited:
That is no longer the case. A B1G / P5 player is guaranteed a scholarship for all 4 years (provided no academic, ethical, moral, team major violations, etc. malfeasance) if offered & accepts a scholarship upon his first year of college eligibility. That scenario pertains to Patrick but not Connor.

The only question pertaining to Patrick that I've seen raised is - can he voluntarily rescind his 4 year guarantee and stay with the team?

I can see where that would not be allowed as a lot of games could be played with that "loop hole" but haven't seen definitively answered via the internet searches I've conducted anyway.

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/
Interesting, I had not come across this, thanks for the information.

I agree that Carton is not coming to Iowa City and am okay with that. I really like the potential of what Joe T and Ahron U will bring to the table. It's not worth disrupting or alienating those two guys.
I agree with the above comments. I always had the feeling watching OSU (all games) this year when Carton played he was not all that well like by his teammates. Just my opinion so nobody come unglued, please.

He tended to try and take over a game and everybody was standing around watching. Which probably was his MO in high school being a star, but does not work on the collegiate level. OSU, was a better team after he departed. Anyway, just my perspective from afar.

Guaranteed is the key word here. If he refuses it (which he can), it can go to someone else. Don't get hung up on semantics.

Reactions: skydog0784
At least Ohio St. is being classy enough (class is a rare commodity for the Buckeyes) to not put restrictions on where Carton can transfer like the Grinch at Wisconsin did to Uthoff.
Although, he was forced to shut down his social media due to some harassment...

13 teams have reached out....but no Indiana or Michigan either, they were in his final 3. And not much anywhere near close to home base.
I'm probably in the minority by I would welcome him here. Tremendous talent, and I highly doubt he is any type of team cancer.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
13 teams have reached out....but no Indiana or Michigan either, they were in his final 3. And not much anywhere near close to home base.
I'm probably in the minority by I would welcome him here. Tremendous talent, and I highly doubt he is any type of team cancer.

Yeah, this is what I wrote in the other thread.

Yeah, I agree completely. If this truly is about his mental health, and being closer to his support system, then I don't get how going to a different school (like Nebraska) solves that. It would make more sense for him to go to UNI.

I mean, according to everything we know, he had a great relationship with the Ohio State coach (I think it was hawkeyebob who had personal knowledge of his recruitment and said Holtman was the decisive factor in DJ picking OSU). Nothing on that front seems to suggest that relationship has been frayed.

I know someone posted a list of schools that have reached out to DJ and Iowa wasn't one of them. Perhaps there have been private talks between Fran and the Carton family (I'm not intimately familiar with NCAA rules) since DJ left Ohio State. Perhaps a lot still has to be figured out in terms of player defections, etc., to determine scholarship availability at Iowa. Perhaps that ship has truly sailed and no contact has been made by either Fran or the Carton family. Who knows.

But at this point, unless someone has firsthand knowledge, or DJ publicly says Iowa is not one of the schools under consideration, I'm not dismissing the possibility that DJ could end up at Iowa.

1) Obviously, there is already a relationship there from DJ's recruitment in high school.

2) Iowa is the closest P5 school to home.

3) I believe it was put out there that he and Joe Wieskamp were pretty cool at one point. I believe he and Patrick were also friends. Point being DJ knows a lot of the Iowa players.

Again, I have no inside information and am just speculating. But I will say this: If, and albeit that's a big if, DJ has interest in coming to Iowa, I can assure you Fran will find a way to make it work. In Fran's system, he'll take all the guards he can get. Especially a 5-star who seems to be a decent kid. I just cannot believe, especially as hard as Fran recruited DJ in high school, that he would tell the Carton family "sorry, not interested, we're full" if they were to reach out.

patrick can give up his ride.

While I'm not surprised Iowa has not initiated contact, I would have thought that UNI, Drake, and/or ISU would have jumped at the opportunity.

If he wants to play out-of-state but remain fairly close to home, there's quite a few DI schools in Illinois that would love to have him (Illini included).

While I'm not surprised Iowa has not initiated contact, I would have thought that UNI, Drake, and/or ISU would have jumped at the opportunity.

If he wants to play out-of-state but remain fairly close to home, there's quite a few DI schools in Illinois that would love to have him (Illini included).

yep, I’m pretty sure if it comes down it he can play most anywhere he wants home in Iowa or else where.. there are very few schools that wouldn’t at the very least entertain the idea of him contributing to their basketball program... it’s funny to think otherwise! Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT