ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar and Conel Done.

Is both Beard and Nevills coming out of redshirt? Nevills seems like a no-brainer since he isn’t starting next year regardless of whether Cassar comes back. Beard probably depends on the health of Rasheed.

Reactions: TarpHawk
So how good will Nevills do in place of Cassar? How many points does PSU lose at Nat’s?

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnBasedow
Yikes... that's a tough blow for Cassar. Not sure they were going to get anything out of Conel anyways. I'm kinda wondering if Brooks, Rasheed, Nevills isn't a better scoring trio then Rasheed, Conel, Cassar anyways.

Still no walk in the park for Iowa.

Sucks for both guys, it really does.

However, with Seth Nevills in, here is a video of he and big Cass wrestling last May. (Disclaimer, it is freestyle which I know is a difference in styles, and Nevills was right out of hs..) Still....enjoy!

Nevills is mid low tier aa at best. Obv cass was a finalist favorite. Solid hit to penn state

When was Cass a finalist favorite with G.S. and Cassar both wrestling still?

Methinks he was calling Cassar Cass in that case. The Iowa Cass does not have a trademark on it. Maybe we can put a t in front of it? tCass. Funny thing is both are named Tony.

Nevills is mid low tier aa at best. Obv cass was a finalist favorite. Solid hit to penn state

Don't be smart ass, Cass isn't finalist favorite yet much less "obvious favorite", but he'll definitely handle Nevills don't worry.

<<Can not sleep on Nevills he is good, I say he is a top 10 guy. Brooks is a serious upgrade for them. Rasheed Could be an high AA if he is at the top of his game , but at 197 maybe as low as r12 if he is not.>>

I dont see it with Nevills-- I think top ten is a huge strectch-- Cass beat him 13-0 in Free-- He might be top 10-20range-- but i would be suprised if he ends up top 10.

Yikes... that's a tough blow for Cassar. Not sure they were going to get anything out of Conel anyways. I'm kinda wondering if Brooks, Rasheed, Nevills isn't a better scoring trio then Rasheed, Conel, Cassar anyways.

I concur. I'm thinking Rasheed could finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th (don't see him beating Moore), Brooks (top 5, perhaps top 3, we'll see how he looks in the duals), and Nevills somewhere in the 4-8 range. I don't see any champions, but I see lots of potential points. Like you said, certainly no walk in the park. And how nice it must be to have AA guys at these weight classes just waiting to jump into the mix. :) NCAAs should be exciting.

I think pre season they were expecting top 5 and title contention from Rasheed at 184 and Brooks looks like he could be that as well. At 197 they were hoping for top 5 out of Conel but I assure you they were not feeling super comfy about it happening. Plan 2 pre-season was use Beard at 197 and he is would probably be a mid to low AA for high end if in there. Rasheed projects possibly a tad higher but with being out hard to tell for sure. Cassar projected finals and good shot at champ again so probably around 25 points, Nevills was a high ranked guy coming out so is good but projects more like low AA high end so at least a 15 point drop off IMO.

I guess I don't ever remember Anthony Cassar being called Cass. My bad if I misinterpreted.

Reactions: Hotshoe
<<Can not sleep on Nevills he is good, I say he is a top 10 guy. Brooks is a serious upgrade for them. Rasheed Could be an high AA if he is at the top of his game , but at 197 maybe as low as r12 if he is not.>>

I dont see it with Nevills-- I think top ten is a huge strectch-- Cass beat him 13-0 in Free-- He might be top 10-20range-- but i would be suprised if he ends up top 10.

Nevills being a top 10 is a stretch? Didn't he beat Youssif Hemida last year...the same Youssif Hemida who finished as an AA? And by the way, Youssif Hemida pinned him the year prior. Sure sounds like a Cass-Stencel scenario to me, where the youngster is getting better every day. And while I don't think he'll win it all, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think he will be an AA.

Reactions: Gobblin

Yeah I should have said “could” be a top 10 guy

They were ranked 7-3-1 preseason at these weights. 3 mid to low level AAs (best case) doesn’t touch that.

And to be clear, just going from a national champ to even a low level AA is a huge points loss.

Nevills being a top 10 is a stretch? Didn't he beat Youssif Hemida last year...the same Youssif Hemida who finished as an AA? And by the way, Youssif Hemida pinned him the year prior. Sure sounds like a Cass-Stencel scenario to me, where the youngster is getting better every day. And while I don't think he'll win it all, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think he will be an AA.

just because he wears PSU colors doe not mean he just caught a little lightening. NCAA tournament is a wood filled with unexpected bears. Take a guy, not truly and fully tested in college, and expect a high AA is poor planning. Talent may be there but better guys have fallen apart in march against that pressure.

I just watched a bunch of his videos because honestly I didn’t know much about him except that he was highly ranked out of high school. To my eye test his ceiling looks like low AA this year. I would guess 10-15 most likely but time will tell. If he has gained more man strength then those projections would go up a fair amount and with PSUs connection to the treigning lab who knows he might look like Brock Lesnar by the end of the year.

I think he slots in around 10 but in order to jump above that he has to beat guys a like Demetrius Thomas who he lost to last year. There are also guys like Heino, Hokit and Traub who are also trying to fight their way into the top 10.

Also, If I remember correctly he beat Hemida the first weekend after he was pulled from Olympic redshirt. Not taking anything away from the win but that was hardly the best version of Hemida.

Yah he could AA...but he could also get seeded in the middle of the pack and lose his 1st 2 matches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT