ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar and Conel Done.

This reminds me of Stoll. Had one (semi in Stolls case) healthy season. Sucks for Cassar...it being the same shoulder. At least he had one great season to be able to point to and say ”when things were going right physically, I was the best.” Indeed he was.

Not going to cry too many tear for PSU. They have a top ten p4p, 4 time Cali state champ to fill in the gap until the #1 guy in his class wrestles for them next year.

I think 184 and 197 are gonna be the key to if psu can compete.
Those 2 could be in the finals or not place.
RBY and Berge are probably mid AAs. Don’t think they have finals potential. I don’t think nevills AAs.

but 184 and 197 could score 10 points or 40.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I think 184 and 197 are gonna be the key to if psu can compete.
Those 2 could be in the finals or not place.
RBY and Berge are probably mid AAs. Don’t think they have finals potential. I don’t think nevills AAs.

but 184 and 197 could score 10 points or 40.

I think either Rasheed or Brooks in the finals would be a surprise. Rasheed is a good wrestler but he’s battled injuries and will now be wrestling up a weight. 197 isn’t a daunting weight but still the finals is a stretch. Brooks is talented and with a very bright future but I don’t think he’s there yet.

5th for either guy is more likely than the finals. Won’t know until they wrestle the matches.

<being a top 10 is a stretch? Didn't he beat Youssif Hemida last year...the same Youssif Hemida who finished as an AA? And by the way, Youssif Hemida pinned him the year prior. Sure sounds like a Cass-Stencel scenario>>

I could be wrong..it's a tough grind on a true freshman...even for the best. Cassioppi beat him by 13 in free. I see him as the guy that wins a match he is an underdog...but loses a couple he is favored in.. Heck that new Ohio St hvy could beat him..

Hard to say ..just all speculation and opinion I guess

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
<being a top 10 is a stretch? Didn't he beat Youssif Hemida last year...the same Youssif Hemida who finished as an AA? And by the way, Youssif Hemida pinned him the year prior. Sure sounds like a Cass-Stencel scenario>>

I could be wrong..it's a tough grind on a true freshman...even for the best. Cassioppi beat him by 13 in free. I see him as the guy that wins a match he is an underdog...but loses a couple he is favored in.. Heck that new Ohio St hvy could beat him..

Hard to say ..just all speculation and opinion I guess
That Ohio st kid had a lot of heart. He could be a dark horse at AA’ing. His pudgy belly was jiggling but he never stopped going.

Reactions: Chuck C
They were ranked 7-3-1 preseason at these weights. 3 mid to low level AAs (best case) doesn’t touch that.

And to be clear, just going from a national champ to even a low level AA is a huge points loss.

I don't care what they were ranked preseason. Conel wasn't going to give them anything, and Rasheed likely can score more points at 197 than he would have at 184.

I don't care what they were ranked preseason. Conel wasn't going to give them anything, and Rasheed likely can score more points at 197 than he would have at 184.

Fair enough, but the point was about what they were looking at coming in this year.

Not sure I agree. Rasheed will be giving up some lbs and has an injury history.

This is a significant net points loss in any reasonable scenario.

Reactions: el dub
Yah he could AA...but he could also get seeded in the middle of the pack and lose his 1st 2 matches.
That could happen as well, but I just don't think so. He's a talented young man, who would be a starter at HWT if not for the nation's #1 guy occupying the spot. I think that's equivalent to Brands being Kem''s backup and saying that Brands will go 0-2 if Kem (please God no) gets injured. Yes, it could happen, but I just don't think so. Brands, like Nevills has too much talent. Trust me, I want PSU to lose by 50 or more at NCAAs, but at the same time, I can't pretend that guys like Nevills and Brooks don't have legit AA potential. Good discussion topic, and I guess we'll know more as we start cranking up these duals this weekend. Looks like he's got 4 dual opportunities to sharpen up his game before he steps in with Big Tony. :)

I think he slots in around 10 but in order to jump above that he has to beat guys a like Demetrius Thomas who he lost to last year. There are also guys like Heino, Hokit and Traub who are also trying to fight their way into the top 10.

Also, If I remember correctly he beat Hemida the first weekend after he was pulled from Olympic redshirt. Not taking anything away from the win but that was hardly the best version of Hemida.

Points well taken. I don't want to give him too much credit...he will have to earn it. But I am saying that Nevills landing in the top 10 is not a stretch. Guess we'll see how he looks against his opponents the next 4 duals before he steps in with Cass. BTW, since you brought up Thomas, wasn't he the guy who beat Jordan Wood, Lehigh's returning AA (4th place) from last year. Wood is clearly not where he was last year, but he's still no slouch.

You were thinking the PSU student newspaper articles complete with direct quotes from Cael were not legit?

You know, it's funny you said that, Spooner, because when it comes to college wrestling I try not to repeat anything unless I've actually seen it in at least 2 or 3 publications. Just no telling what levels of disinformation will be leaked as we head into March. LOL! :)

Reactions: SPOONER
Seth has little to no chance of AAing this year.

If he was progressing like they hoped why would they bring in Kerkvliet
... To ride the bench? They have the same eligibility left
[/QUOTE]

Rasheed has an injury history, is up a weight, and has just one AA finish so far (7th). I get that he is talented and wears a PSU singlet but at this point he's not a sure thing for points in March. Brooks on the other hand I could see finishing very high.

Reactions: Mendoza77
just because he wears PSU colors doe not mean he just caught a little lightening. NCAA tournament is a wood filled with unexpected bears. Take a guy, not truly and fully tested in college, and expect a high AA is poor planning. Talent may be there but better guys have fallen apart in march against that pressure.

I absolutely concur. I project a low AA with best case scenario being top 4. With Cassar gone all the HWTs not named Steveson, Cass, and Parris seem to be hit and miss when wrestling other highly ranked opponent, so I can realistically see where he can fit in there if he has the goods. Like you said, just because he's in the room wrestling with Snyder, Cassar and company doesn't immediately give him credibility, but he came pretty highly recruited as well. So if he had decent goods and gets to spend time in one of the top rooms in the country, I think it's safe to say that he has a little lighting. And I'm just giving my opinion, which could be so far off the mark...but I don't think so. I'm just thankful we have this year's team, so when we talk about PSU's talent, we have just as much, if not more talent on our team to cover the spread. Go Hawks!

Seth has little to no chance of AAing this year.

If he was progressing like they hoped why would they bring in Kerkvliet
... To ride the bench? They have the same eligibility left
[/QUOTE]

Isn't he still taking his Olympic redshirt this year? I don't recall where they officially pulled it but I don't pay attention to what's going on with PSU until it involves us. That said, I'm sure if Nevills doesn't perform, now that Cael - at least in the eyes of the major rankings outlets - has a chance to win, I'm thinking that almost every possible scenario is on the table. Also, I'm just providing my predictions based on the subject and the small amount of information I can gather as a Flo member and via various wrestling outlets. I guess we'll see just how far off the reservation I am come March...

Reactions: slicone
Rasheed has an injury history, is up a weight, and has just one AA finish so far (7th). I get that he is talented and wears a PSU singlet but at this point he's not a sure thing for points in March. Brooks on the other hand I could see finishing very high.

Rasheed went into the last two NCAA tournaments as the 5 seed and 2 seed. Last I checked, they don't seed based on whether someone wears a PSU singlet...just saying. And we really don't want to necessarily bring up past NCAA performances as some of our beasts have had some less that perfect outings as well. But I do think that Rasheed is very suspect until he proves himself this year. That said based on his totality of effort the last two years and the people he beat along the way (Moore wasn't one of them unless I missed a match), I predict, if he stays healthy, he has the potential to finish as high as the 2-5 range. Again, he has to show that he can bring the same level as in the past otherwise all bets are off.

To the informed, he already has it, but will choose to move on to his next adventure in MMA.

I concur...I think 97 (after Moore) is wide open. But like others have indicated, I'm not sure what he will look like at 97 - will he be a small 97 like Brands at 84 - and whether he will fare better than he did as the 5 seed in 2018. I haven't read anything on him lately so don't even have a clue when he's having his coming out party...

Seth Nevills is obviously talented, but he's probably a long shot to AA his first year out.

Afterall, he was only ranked #22 p4p in 2018 Big Board. That is low. Cael has better luck "developing" guys when they're top 5 p4p, preferably with a world FS medal.

I’ve never understood the Rasheed hype. What are his best wins? Venz last year and Miklus a few years ago?
Add Wilcke and Jacob Holschlag to that list as well. That was the year that both Rasheed and Holschlag AA'd. BTW Rasheed beat the shit out of him earlier in the season.

Shak was going to struggle with the elite at 184, but 197 isn't nearly as deep, IMO. He could very well give PSU add'l points there that Conel could not. Then again it could be similar to Nelson Brands and he could struggle with the extra weight in a tournament setting.

And currently Hwy is being dominated by underclassmen. Unfortunately, Nevills fits in perfectly. Anyone can beat anyone (that isn't named Steveson) , though I don't think he has it in him quite yet to string together a deep run in March.

I’ve never understood the Rasheed hype. What are his best wins? Venz last year and Miklus a few years ago?

Pinned Holshlag and Colbray in less than a minute. Majored Wilcke and Miklus and Christian Brunner, tech falled Noah Adams, Kordell Norfleet. beat Venz last’s year with torn ACL. Pinned Cam Caffey. Beat Hunter Bolen ..I can go on but as you can see he’s dominated a bunch of highly ranked wrestlers. Anyone that knows wrestling knows the talent, it’s just a matter of how healthy he is. Apparently he’s going twice this weekend so we’ll see how he looks

Pinned Holshlag and Colbray in less than a minute. Majored Wilcke and Miklus and Christian Brunner, tech falled Noah Adams, Kordell Norfleet. beat Venz last’s year with torn ACL. Pinned Cam Caffey. Beat Hunter Bolen ..I can go on but as you can see he’s dominated a bunch of highly ranked wrestlers. Anyone that knows wrestling knows the talent, it’s just a matter of how healthy he is. Apparently he’s going twice this weekend so we’ll see how he looks

You can’t go on and there are no elite names on that list. He is fully capable of punishing guys in the 15-25 range so I think it’s fair to say he could be a guy that picks up bonus in the early rounds of NCAAs. He’s also injury prone and 3-10 lifetime against wrestlers that were top 10 at the time they met (Venz at 8 was the highest ranked win). His #2 ranking last year seemed very Gulibonish.

You can’t go on and there are no elite names on that list. He is fully capable of punishing guys in the 15-25 range so I think it’s fair to say he could be a guy that picks up bonus in the early rounds of NCAAs. He’s also injury prone and 3-10 lifetime against wrestlers that were top 10 at the time they met (Venz at 8 was the highest ranked win). His #2 ranking last year seemed very Gulibonish.

no highly ranked guys on the list? Holshlag was ranked as high as 2 just recently (pulled due do inactivity) Brunner and Bolen top 2 as of right now. Define highly ranked? Adams just moved into top 5

would you consider Norfleet, Wilcke, Colbray AA threats? If so, I’d also say they are quality wins.

To each their own I guess in what one will consider quality

no highly ranked guys on the list? Holshlag was ranked as high as 2 just recently (pulled due do inactivity) Brunner and Bolen top 2 as of right now. Define highly ranked? Adams just moved into top 5

would you consider Norfleet, Wilcke, Colbray AA threats? If so, I’d also say they are quality wins.

To each their own I guess in what one will consider quality

He did exactly define highly ranked by clearly stating he is 3-10 when wrestling guy ranked in the top 10 when he ACTUALLY wrestled them. He even clarified that Venz was the highest ranked guy he beat under those qualifications and he was ranked 8th at the time.

With that said, Rasheed is good, but he is waaaaaay less proven than Marinelli and yet every PSU fan says pump the brakes on expecting Marinelli to be a Finalist and Marinelli went 2for2 in weight classes that were soooo much deeper than the sole time Rasheed took 7th in a rather weak 197 weight class. Just be consistent.

He did exactly define highly ranked by clearly stating he is 3-10 when wrestling guy ranked in the top 10 when he ACTUALLY wrestled them. He even clarified that Venz was the highest ranked guy he beat under those qualifications and he was ranked 8th at the time.

With that said, Rasheed is good, but he is waaaaaay less proven than Marinelli and yet every PSU fan says pump the brakes on expecting Marinelli to be a Finalist and Marinelli went 2for2 in weight classes that were soooo much deeper than the sole time Rasheed took 7th in a rather weak 197 weight class. Just be consistent.

Lol. I don’t think I ever mentioned a thing regarding the Bull. And another LOL at “when he beat them”. Like that matters what a guys ranked when he beats them. If someone beats Aaron Brooks right now, does it matter that he’s only ranked 25th?

the poster asked what good wins did Rasheed had. I gave him 10 off top of my head. You can do some more research if you wish

Last edited:
Lol. I don’t think I ever mentioned a thing regarding the Bull. And another LOL at “when he beat them”. Like that matters what a guys ranked when he beats them. If someone beats Aaron Brooks right now, does it matter that he’s only ranked 25th?

the poster asked what good wins did Rasheed had. I gave him 8 off top of my head. You can do some more research if you wish

So, the Mark Hall that Alex Meyer beat is the same guy as today?

the poster asked what good wins did Rasheed had. I gave him 8 off top of my head. You can do some more research if you wish

Do you realize how FULLY DENSE that response was? In several cases, you don't think 2 years matters? They are ranked at that spot for a reason AT THAT TIME. We aren't talking about blue chip recruits that don't have enough matches in to be properly ranked.

Let's try to educate the uneducatable:

1.)Hunter Bolen was redshirting after going a whopping 12-13 and 0-2 at NCAA's the year before. That win means next to nothing WHEN IT HAPPENED. Ask Cael if a loss while redshirting counts......

2.)Going all the way back to 2018 Holschlag went a whopping 23-12 the year Rasheed beat him. He came into that match with losses to Jeric Kasunic of American(1-2 at NCAA's that season with a win over Dustin Conti Do you know who Conti is without looking him up?), Nathan Traxler(19-12 that season, going 2-2 at NCAA's and losing to Wilcke to get eliminated) and Scottie Boykin(0-2 at NCAA's that season). This is probably his best career win. Not that impressive once you look at the facts WHEN IT HAPPENED.

3.)Wilcke has been a perennial top 12ish type guy. Is that really an "elite" win?

4.)Colbray just lost to a seriously undersized Brands. But, to stick with the WHEN IT HAPPENED theme, Colbray had just lost to Danny Bush(can you tell me what school he wrestled for without looking it up?) at the Lindenwood Open.

5.)Brunner Back in 2018, he beat Brunner(24-11 going 1-2 at NCAA's beating a 21-15 Tanner Orndorff). He wasn't exactly a world beat WHEN IT HAPPENED.

6.)Norfleet was apparently injured in the match they wrestled in December and didn't wrestle the rest of the season. He was 12-13 the season before. Not exactly an "elite" win WHEN IT HAPPENED.

7.) Adams He beat Noah Adams when he was a redshirting freshman. Need we ask Cael about that type of a loss again? He would go a whopping 19-15 the next season, his 1st season that counted. Not exactly an "elite" win WHEN IT HAPPENED.

8.)Venz(whom you did not list but I assume you used to make your 8 number, even though you only listed 7) A 6-5 win over Venz at B1G's can be argued as his one "elite" win. However Venz would only get the 9 seed and did not even AA that season losing in the R12. Is that really an "elite" win WHEN IT HAPPENED?

EDITED TO ADD: 9.)Miklus should be considered his 1 "elite" win. Now, I think Miklus may have had a trend in "checking out" at the end of his last 3 NCAA's as he lost his placement match each time. But, it should still be considered an elite win.

Simply put, none of the wrestlers listed are currently at the level they were then. On top of that, Rasheed was not at his best when he last wrestled and hasn't wrestled this season. You can't count wins of up to 2 years ago, considering those wrestlers at their highest current rank, while considering Rasheed at his highest capabilities now. Is it not possible he isn't as good now as he was then?

Last edited:

I'll point out two things.

1.) There are plenty of PSU fans (myself included) that fully expect Marinelli to be a finalist, if not the outright favorite, at 165.

2.) The year Rasheed took 7th in the "rather weak 197 weight class", his losses were to Moore and Macchiavello. The field might have been "rather weak" in general, but it's not like Shak lost matches he shouldn't have.

I realize the "technically I'm right" game we're playing here, but I think if you look at non-injured Shak's performance the past two years and compare it against the probable field at 197 (which I'd say is again "rather weak"), predicting a finals appearance for him is not unreasonable. I'd say he's just as "proven" as anyone at the weight other than Kollin Moore and has demonstrated an ability to beat who he'd need to beat to be wrestling Saturday night in March.

I'll point out two things.

2.) The year Rasheed took 7th in the "rather weak 197 weight class", his losses were to Moore and Macchiavello. The field might have been "rather weak" in general, but it's not like Shak lost matches he shouldn't have.

I realize the "technically I'm right" game we're playing here, but I think if you look at non-injured Shak's performance the past two years and compare it against the probable field at 197 (which I'd say is again "rather weak"), predicting a finals appearance for him is not unreasonable. I'd say he's just as "proven" as anyone at the weight other than Kollin Moore and has demonstrated an ability to beat who he'd need to beat to be wrestling Saturday night in March.

2.) His wins that tournament were Sawyer Root, Daniel Chaid, Frank Mattiace and a "checked out" Miklus. If he gets a draw like that again, he AA's again. However, if a dozen or so other current 197's get a draw like that, they AA as well.

I wasn't trying to just be "techically I'm right". I clarified that I think Rasheed is good. I fully expect him to AA, if healthy. I just have NOT seen the type of win from him that makes me think likely finalist or even top 4. The reason for that is simple. He has NOT beat a top 4 guy in his career. Not 1 time.

The reason I bring up Marinelli is mainly due to posts on themat. I am sorry if I lumped most PSU guys in that category. But, I do feel it is an important comparison as Marinelli has beat most, if not all, of the highly ranked guys. Many of them quite recently. So, to me, any reservations on his part should be multiplied exponentially when considering Rasheed.

Do you realize how FULLY DENSE that response was? In several cases, you don't think 2 years matters? They are ranked at that spot for a reason AT THAT TIME. We aren't talking about blue chip recruits that don't have enough matches in to be properly ranked.

Let's try to educate the uneducatable:

1.)Hunter Bolen was redshirting after going a whopping 12-13 and 0-2 at NCAA's the year before. That win means next to nothing WHEN IT HAPPENED. Ask Cael if a loss while redshirting counts......

2.)Going all the way back to 2018 Holschlag went a whopping 23-12 the year Rasheed beat him. He came into that match with losses to Jeric Kasunic of American(1-2 at NCAA's that season with a win over Dustin Conti Do you know who Conti is without looking him up?), Nathan Traxler(19-12 that season, going 2-2 at NCAA's and losing to Wilcke to get eliminated) and Scottie Boykin(0-2 at NCAA's that season). This is probably his best career win. Not that impressive once you look at the facts WHEN IT HAPPENED.

3.)Wilcke has been a perennial top 12ish type guy. Is that really an "elite" win?

4.)Colbray just lost to a seriously undersized Brands. But, to stick with the WHEN IT HAPPENED theme, Colbray had just lost to Danny Bush(can you tell me what school he wrestled for without looking it up?) at the Lindenwood Open.

5.)Brunner Back in 2018, he beat Brunner(24-11 going 1-2 at NCAA's beating a 21-15 Tanner Orndorff). He wasn't exactly a world beat WHEN IT HAPPENED.

6.)Norfleet was apparently injured in the match they wrestled in December and didn't wrestle the rest of the season. He was 12-13 the season before. Not exactly an "elite" win WHEN IT HAPPENED.

7.) Adams He beat Noah Adams when he was a redshirting freshman. Need we ask Cael about that type of a loss again? He would go a whopping 19-15 the next season, his 1st season that counted. Not exactly an "elite" win WHEN IT HAPPENED.

8.)Venz(whom you did not list but I assume you used to make your 8 number, even though you only listed 7) A 6-5 win over Venz at B1G's can be argued as his one "elite" win. However Venz would only get the 9 seed and did not even AA that season losing in the R12. Is that really an "elite" win WHEN IT HAPPENED?

EDITED TO ADD: 9.)Miklus should be considered his 1 "elite" win. Now, I think Miklus may have had a trend in "checking out" at the end of his last 3 NCAA's as he lost his placement match each time. But, it should still be considered an elite win.

Simply put, none of the wrestlers listed are currently at the level they were then. On top of that, Rasheed was not at his best when he last wrestled and hasn't wrestled this season. You can't count wins of up to 2 years ago, considering those wrestlers at their highest current rank, while considering Rasheed at his highest capabilities now. Is it not possible he isn't as good now as he was then?

Ok..I get it..Rasheed sucks and the 9 guys you listed were all crap but now they are all of a sudden ranked in top 10 or were in top 10.

Carry on..I can pull up many more top 10-20 ranked guys, but what's the point. Rasheed beat them all when they were bad according to your narrative.

Ok..I get it..Rasheed sucks and the 9 guys you listed were all crap but now they are all of a sudden ranked in top 10 or were in top 10.

Carry on..I can pull up many more top 10-20 ranked guys, but what's the point. Rasheed beat them all when they were bad according to your narrative.

You do realize that seeding ignores prior years for a reason, right? Guys get better, get worse, get injured, suffer from HEW, broke up with their girlfriend, have trouble academically, get older, mature and a whole bunch of other things.

Still, to try to be basic as possible. Michael Macchiavello was 11-14 and 8-8 in his 1st 2 seasons. In what right mind would you consider a win over those versions remotely the same as a win over him as a senior.

Finally, I NEVER said Rasheed sucks. I even clarified that I think he is good and later said I fully expect him to AA. I simply said he has not had ONE win that clearly calls him a title contender or even top 4 for that matter.

In a attempt to simply be cordial, what win can you name in Rasheed's entire career that screams, hell even hints, at his being a Finalist?

I mean, it's pretty clear that you were using the future accomplishments of those wrestlers to boost Rasheed's resume, but you can't really do that. They weren't good when he beat them. That's like me saying I beat a freshman on my high school team when I was a senior and then saying I beat a state champ when he goes on to win state 4 years later.

I mean, it's pretty clear that you were using the future accomplishments of those wrestlers to boost Rasheed's resume, but you can't really do that. They weren't good when he beat them. That's like me saying I beat a freshman on my high school team when I was a senior and then saying I beat a state champ when he goes on to win state 4 years later.

He beat 6 guys currently ranked in top 20 just last year, I'm not going back 4 yrs. The dudes been hurt, if everyone here wants to dismiss that fact of why he may not have even better wins, I can't win that argument since he hasn't done it when it counts. It's up to him to do it. And that's the same with the Bull..it's obvious how talented he is, but to date has a 6th and 7th place finish.

Personally I think the Bull is top 2, I thought that last year as well. I'm not going to sit here and try to diminish the kids talent like some are trying to do with Rasheed.

People need to stop relying on BS and just open their eyes and watch matches instead of box scores.

A healthy Rasheed is awesome. A champion? Maybe not, but I'm not going to bet against the kid.

Bull--awesome, he's had two rough NCAA's but that doesn't change what my eye's see.

If people can take away the BS and really see what they're watching these boards would be a little more respectful instead of pissing matches

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT